Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Religion being forced on us by An Post

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We need a Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice squad to sort these thing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

If this offends you, how do you make it through the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm gonna get me some of these holy rolling stamps, stick em on a letter with a false address so when it gets lost I can ring an pope/ an post and go WHERES UR GOD NOW?

Lost in the sorting office in Whitehall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

So? Id hardly call that forces religion on us. I dislike the catholic church as much as any other boardsie and Im not religious at all, I wouldnt even go as far to call myself atheist because I just dont care enough about the whole area. I think the Eucharistic congress is alright, Its going to draw in a few twenty thousand each day and bring in money. Infact Im working at it for 1 day :D

Atheism seems to be like a religion these days with the way some people rant on. And let me just reiterate my previous point. Im not religious what so ever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Hosting the Eucharistic Congress is a bit like hosting a major sports tournament, so I can't blame a state body for wanting to commemorate it in some way. The event has brought in about 7,000 tourists, which is not to be sniffed at. As long as the stamp doesn't turn in to Jesus Tartare when I lick it, I'll survive. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

koth wrote: »
    pretty sure you can't catch Catholicism by using a stamp :P
    Pretty sure the OP thinks you can.

Where is the OP???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

As a card carrying, baby eating atheist I have to say op is either a troll or false flag terrorist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

An Post could make a fortune if you were able to upload an image and get stamps made out of it. I'd get loads of pedo bear stamps made for Christmas and send my friends in the states letters with team America terrorist stamps on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

smash wrote: »
    I'd get loads of pedo bear stamps made for Christmas

Well he was an official mascot for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I bought a book of stamps 2 weeks ago. They all feature various spiders...nasty evil looking spiders that would kill you in your sleep and not think twice about it.

I pity anyone with arachnophobia who buys them...but at least they don't have to lick the stamp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

there's apparently new stamps being brought out because of that Catholic love-in in the RDS

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/News+and+Information/IEC+2012.htm

so now if I want to send a letter, I'm going to have it look like I'm a Catholic.
    one step too far imo.

Just be thankful its one of the few things Jedward hasn't gotten on to yet! :D

...But give it time! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the OP thinks you can.

Where is the OP???

I think he's deserted his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Probably a good troll. But the fact that we can't be sure kinda shows how pathetic Irish atheists are in their anti-Catholicism and desperation to be persecuted to give them something to whinge about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pick your battles OP, have zero love for catholicism but this is a non issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,356 ✭✭✭✭endacl

marty1985 wrote: »
    Probably a good troll. But the fact that we can't be sure kinda shows how pathetic Irish atheists are in their anti-Catholicism and desperation to be persecuted to give them something to whinge about.
    Oi! As an Irish atheist, who doesn't feel in the least bit persecuted, and who tends not to whinge, I beg to differ.

I simply saw the op for what it was, namely an opportunity to take the piss with a smartarsed comment.

Don't judge me, dude! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just a reminder to all. Philately will get you nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,243 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So when USPS issued a limited edition run of Star Wars stamps they were trying to convert people into the Jedi order?

Cop on. You don't have to buy the special stamps if you dont want to. Plenty of regs to go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Why do people in religion-bashing threads always assume that the OP is atheist? You must think there is only catholicism and atheism right? :rolleyes:

It's not that there is only Catholicism and antheism, it's that generally the people who complain about any little harmless sign of Catholicism in modern Ireland are atheists.

If it was about religion is schools, I'd say the OP could be atheist or any religion, including Catholic.

But complaining because religion is mentioned (stamps/RTÉ website having a tab on it :confused: / Angelus), usually atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I haven't sent a letter in years. I thought we were all going digital now.

Doesn't bother me in the least. Though I would like to see a release of a funny stamps collection. Just in case I ever do need to send a letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

who the hell licks stamps anymore ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Don't post offices have that damp sponge stuff on the counter now so you don't have to lick the stamp anymore?? Who cares what's on a stamp anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

there's apparently new stamps being brought out because of that Catholic love-in in the RDS

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/News+and+Information/IEC+2012.htm

so now if I want to send a letter, I'm going to have it look like I'm a Catholic.
    one step too far imo.

I once bought a big box of stamps around Christmas time. by your logic I must look like santa . the only ones who bother to look at stamps are the post office and they use machines

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

KKkitty wrote: »
    Don't post offices have that damp sponge stuff on the counter now so you don't have to lick the stamp anymore?? Who cares what's on a stamp anyway!!
    They're all self-adhesive now, just like Catholicism if OP's staggeringly stupid post is to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

MagicSean wrote: »
    I used one with a plane on it. Doesn't make me a pilot. Cop on.

Your not a pilot?.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Some people look for things to be offended by

How rude!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

mathepac wrote: »
    KKkitty wrote: »
    They're all self-adhesive now, just like Catholicism if OP's staggeringly stupid post is to be believed.
    OP step away from the stamps :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,356 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I used one with a plane on it. Doesn't make me a pilot. Cop on.

Your not a pilot?.......:(
    Nope. But he did use one with a picture of Paul Daniels once, when he was just plain Sean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If I were a type to send letters with some frequency I'd have a stockpile of stamps. So, I couldn't give two fucks what stamps are on sale.

It isn't like you'll get post traumatic stress disorder or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Maybe these stamps are dipped in LSD.

Body of Christ, nom nom nom :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Kinda running parallel to this, W.T.F is the 50th International Eucharistic Congress!?

All i know is that it was on right before the Poland/Greece Match on friday...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jonsoc33

Its great having ur very own partner but some people get left and then theres those who cheat on their partners and of course these people get away with it. Lovely juvly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

^ wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

jonsoc33 wrote: »
    Its great having ur very own partner but some people get left and then theres those who cheat on their partners and of course these people get away with it. Lovely juvly
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    ^ wrong thread.

No. He's just a stamp junkie. He licked one too many last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

alphabeat wrote: »
    who the hell licks stamps anymore ?

Don't judge me - i like the taste:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

That stamp doesn't offend even my staunchly atheist sensibilities and I don't think it paints us all as Catholics on Rome's strings. :):)

After all, an Post issued one with Bram Stoker on it last month, and that hardly make us all look like vampires, does it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-_jdSIazYleQ/T5WBh0sAe6I/AAAAAAAAem0/dQuKtHBiiV8/Dracula%252520stamp%25255B4%25255D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I too bought one of these stamps and was instantly transformed into a Catholic without my approval. FFS, I've nowhere to store shoes never mind altarboys. It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Plazaman wrote: »
    I too bought one of these stamps and was instantly transformed into a Catholic without my approval. FFS, I've nowhere to store shoes never mind altarboys. It's a disgrace.

Put the stamp on backwards, say "Snick Snick", make sausages in the microwave and the transformation will be reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's a stamp, for fùck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Something like 80% of people are listed in the census as Roman Catholic.
    I don't really think they are out of order doing this, whether some of us want it or not.

No skin off my nose, won't affect me in the slightest.

LOL. This is reflected in the 4000 Irish people that attended the opening of the IEC. Down a whopping 996,000 since the last time it was here.

A Government owned company shouldn't be endorsing a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They should make stamps with nothing on them for atheists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

LOL. This is reflected in the 4000 Irish people that attended the opening of the IEC. Down a whopping 996,000 since the last time it was here.

There wasn't much to do in Ireland back then, people used to show up for the opening of a packet of crisps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... A Government owned company shouldn't be endorsing a religion.
    or butterflies, authors, game-birds, ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

A Government owned company shouldn't be endorsing vampires either. We won't be able to walk down the street without people biting our necks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It looks like the OP has vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I've heard that if you lick those stamps, you will get a microchip implanted in your tongue which starts emitting annoying signals every Sunday. You can only deactivate it by sitting in a church for an hour.
    It's awful how refined they've become with embracing the modern technology for bad deeds.

• Advertisement

They should make stamps with nothing on them for atheists.

They don't post letters because they don't believe that they go anywhere if they put them in the post-box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Plazaman wrote: »
    A Government owned company shouldn't be endorsing vampires either. We won't be able to walk down the street without people biting our necks.

An author and a part of literary history =/= a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

As someone forced to lick the back of the english queen's head every time i want to send a letter, I can assure you that the effect stamps have on your political or religious outlook is minimal.
    GOD SAVE THE QUEEN...ahem...I mean....good day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I used one with a plane on it.
    Can you get Twin Tower stamps? :pac:

Militant philatelists will be rioting in the streets if they don't get to collect strange stamps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement