Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to the dark side...?

• 11-06-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Fellow apple heads - I have a 3GS, it was my first smartphone and ever since iOS5 came out, my poor phone has been just about keeping its head above water. It obviously can't keep up with the additional features, multiple apps going at the same time and this has been irritating me for a while now (what a first world problem! having to wait a couple of seconds for my phone to keep up with me)

Anyway, back to point....is anyone else who has an iPhone seriously impressed with the Samsung S3? I looked at it in an O2 store and was very surprised with the fluidity and responsiveness of the touch screen...the camera is very good and has a lot of nice features..

I know the iPhone 5 is expected Summer\Autumn but it seems like its been dragging on for ages...could it really be worth it?

Dare I say it.....I'm thinking of moving to the Dark Side...A-A-ndroid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Fellow apple heads - I have a 3GS, it was my first smartphone and ever since iOS5 came out, my poor phone has been just about keeping its head above water. It obviously can't keep up with the additional features, multiple apps going at the same time and this has been irritating me for a while now (what a first world problem! having to wait a couple of seconds for my phone to keep up with me)

Anyway, back to point....is anyone else who has an iPhone seriously impressed with the Samsung S3? I looked at it in an O2 store and was very surprised with the fluidity and responsiveness of the touch screen...the camera is very good and has a lot of nice features..

I know the iPhone 5 is expected Summer\Autumn but it seems like its been dragging on for ages...could it really be worth it?

Dare I say it.....I'm thinking of moving to the Dark Side...A-A-ndroid
    I hear they're good phones, are they not a bit too big though? personally I prefer iOS to android but the hardware is a bit better in the case of the SIII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

It's easy to see why'd you'd be impressed with the S3. It's a great machine, but you are comparing something that's already 3 generations old (3GS) against the latest device available.

If you can hold out, then you can compare 'the new iPhone' with the S3. That would be a more fair comparison.

I've a good history with many devices but continue with the iPhone 4 as it just does what I want and does it well. I'd not hesitate to move to another platform if the overall experience was as smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

yer man! wrote: »
    I hear they're good phones, are they not a bit too big though? personally I prefer iOS to android but the hardware is a bit better in the case of the SIII

This is purely out of curiosity and not meant to sound smart, but what point of reference have you got in preferring iOS to Android. Its great that you know for sure that iOS is the one for you but my only experience with Android is playing around with it in the shop - I've never had any decent amount of time with an Android device to say for sure. Because iOS is what I'm used to and because it pretty much hits the nail on the head, I'd need to be able to play around with Android for a few days to see if it grows on me. I'd be worried that I splash out on a new OS and then find out that iOS is actually what I prefer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As Tazium said, comparing a 3GS to an S3 isn't really a fair comparison.

There's plenty of comparison vids on youtube between 4s and s3, prices are about the same for them too.

But if you want to switch, go ahead. Just don't come looking for emotional support in Apple forum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Before even trying Android there's things that put me off from the start.

For one the way they update. It would drive me insane waiting months to get updates and sometimes having my year old phone not even supported. I know you can root but that's just extra effort.

The other is the fragmentation of Android. I like things simple and the idea of how complicated using android could be with so many different models is another big downfall in my opinion.

I'd also loose all the compatibility between my Macbook, iPhone and iPad. Especially the way iOS features are starting to come to OS X and vice versa. Having all my apps synced across the 3 devices and being able to play a game on my iPhone and pick up where I left off on my iPad.

I love iOS too, and I think the software is the main part of any phone. Regardless of how the phone looks and feels its the software that's running on it. But the overall build quality and materials used in the iPhone is far superior compared to most Androids IMO. Including my hatred for giant phones. Going past 4" is ok to me, but getting up to 4.5" is just madness. I really don't see the appeal of it.

If Android was better suited in the above ways I'd give it a chance. But my OCD just wouldn't accept it the way it is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I moved over last year to the Galaxy S2 from my iPhone 4 and I had all previous models apart from the iPhone 3

I will never go back to Apple after using the Galaxy S2, the locked down nature of the iPhone is just horrible, also I no longer have to endure the spawn of Satan which is iTunes, its just drag and drop goodness

plus I can add extra storage capacity with the nice SD card slot, oh and the joy of a removable battery

I have it modded with the many mods available for the S2 so you can have the phone looking and performing like I want it too, not how Apple tell me

Update - I did a jailbreak last night and have pretty much as much customization that you can shake a stick at....im still learning though.

The whole back up process with iTunes was brilliant I have to say, I backed up, did the jailbreak process and then restored...everything i had was taken off and then backup with two clicks....thats pretty convenient and I don't know if you can do that with Samsung phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

This is purely out of curiosity and not meant to sound smart, but what point of reference have you got in preferring iOS to Android. Its great that you know for sure that iOS is the one for you but my only experience with Android is playing around with it in the shop - I've never had any decent amount of time with an Android device to say for sure. Because iOS is what I'm used to and because it pretty much hits the nail on the head, I'd need to be able to play around with Android for a few days to see if it grows on me. I'd be worried that I splash out on a new OS and then find out that iOS is actually what I prefer
    My dad has an android, he converted from iOS, I've used it quite a bit and i don't like the menus or settings, just not as easy as iOS. He prefers iOS too.

Update - I did a jailbreak last night and have pretty much as much customization that you can shake a stick at....im still learning though

yep until the next firmware update and then your hanging around waiting for another jailbreak
    I don't know if you can do that with Samsung phones.

when rooted you can update your firmware with one click in the kitchen pro app (depends on rom used)

kingtiger wrote: »
    yep until the next firmware update and then your hanging around waiting for another jailbreak

Thats a good point.

With the new version of iOS coming out in Autumn, I don't think I'll bother upgrading unless forced to. It looks like iPhone 4 isn't getting a few of the updates in it so I'd say I can sing for them with my 3GS :D

It'll only make my phone lag even more than it already is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

kingtiger wrote: »
    I will never go back to Apple after using the Galaxy S2, the locked down nature of the iPhone is just horrible, also I no longer have to endure the spawn of Satan which is iTunes, its just drag and drop goodness

plus I can add extra storage capacity with the nice SD card slot, oh and the joy of a removable battery

I have it modded with the many mods available for the S2 so you can have the phone looking and performing like I want it too, not how Apple tell me

That's your experience and that's great for you. Can I ask if you have a large media library? I'm not iTunes biggest fan, but it manages the media library very well and for me play counts, media dates and other metadata is important.

I don't find iOS any more or less restrictive than any other OS (mobile or not). Buying Apple is buying into the experience in my opinion. You can jailbreak if that's your pleasure for the alternative store and 'freedom' it gives. I know that rooting the Andriod phones provides more or less the same functionality.

Really I don't think there's any advantage to having one over the other in terms of operating system. Built in functionality is the same right? And if not built in, well then, there's an app for that.

I think it comes down to more choice of Andriod handsets, form factors, and internals over the choice in iOS handsets. Personally I thought the SII was a great device, great screen and weight to the device but ultimately a little bit too physically large for my tastes. The slim S3 has me looking at my chubby iPhone 4 wishing it could go on a weightwatchers course. But I still think it's a great device and won't part with it until I can make an informed decision when the iPhone 5 arrives. Comparing that to whatever else is on the market at the time, I'd also like to include some Windows phones in my selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have an iPhone 4 and to be honest if I switched to a Samsung galaxy s it would be so much hassle that it wouldn't be worth it. All my music, videos, photos, e-mail, reminders, notes, bookmarkes, apps etc... Are all synced together between my iPhone, iPad and MacBook pro and it is there nice and handy for me without any messing about to be done. I'm sure there is a lot of people in a similar situation to that. Absolutely nothing to convince me to move over and go through the hassle of bringing it up to scratch with my iPhone. My father had a Samsung and there was too much messing around with it to be done for me.

Now if I was starting from scratch and never had an iPod with all my music synced through iTunes and that I probably would be tempted by a Samsung. Main reason I got an iPhone was because I had a Nokia and an iPod touch and it made sense for me to just combine the two. Really bugs me when people tell me android is so much better. Maybe for them but for me it would be a complete waste of time.

Tazium wrote: »
    That's your experience and that's great for you. Can I ask if you have a large media library? I'm not iTunes biggest fan, but it manages the media library very well and for me play counts, media dates and other metadata is important.

yep a vast library of media & I use media monkey to sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

i went to the ssgs2 about about eight months ago and im going for the new htc one x (yes it,s quad core) . i would not touch another iphone again tbh. ios is easy to use but it is too restrictive in what you can do,or what apple will let you do. i think this link says it all http://work.failblog.org/2012/05/25/job-fails-im-a-little-teapot-short-and-stout/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Jofspring wrote: »
    Have an iPhone 4 and to be honest if I switched to a Samsung galaxy s it would be so much hassle that it wouldn't be worth it. All my music, videos, photos, e-mail, reminders, notes, bookmarkes, apps etc... Are all synced together between my iPhone, iPad and MacBook pro and it is there nice and handy for me without any messing about to be done. I'm sure there is a lot of people in a similar situation to that. Absolutely nothing to convince me to move over and go through the hassle of bringing it up to scratch with my iPhone. My father had a Samsung and there was too much messing around with it to be done for me.

Now if I was starting from scratch and never had an iPod with all my music synced through iTunes and that I probably would be tempted by a Samsung. Main reason I got an iPhone was because I had a Nokia and an iPod touch and it made sense for me to just combine the two. Really bugs me when people tell me android is so much better. Maybe for them but for me it would be a complete waste of time.

I'm in pretty much the exact same position. I originally used to carry both a phone and iTouch (as they were back then) and eventually one day when I had a bit of spare cash I decided on an iPhone to combine the two. I've never looked back on my decision. I know most people hate iTunes but I love it. It's the central hub for all my music, pictures, videos, books, apps etc. Plus if I want to restore or I go out and buy a new iPhone everything is put back on it exactly the way it was. Dunno if you can do similar on Android but it's another deal braker for me if you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The only android I've had was an entry level Samsung, I liked some things better on android but updating was an absolute joke and then getting everything back on to it was a pain. At least with iPhone you can just restore and that's it. Force closure was annoying aswell but that could of just because the phone was low spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Went from a 3GS to a Desire HD, then a HTC Sensation before returning to Apple for a 64gb 4S. It was the 64gb of solid state memory that sold me really, having struggled with dodgy memory cards and lag with using them but at this stage I'm really missing the Android system. Thinking of getting rid of my iPhone for a HTC One now.

Advertisement