Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cabling issue

Options
  • 11-06-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Hello Lads,

I have an issue whereby there is a large loop of cable between my village and the eircom exchange. The exchange is 1 mile from my village and its capable of 24mb but i'm only able to get 5mb. The Eircom guys on this forum told me before that it was/is the loop of cable thats causing the issue and is preventing us from getting better speeds.

The eircom lads on this forum told me previously to contact eircom tech support and complain about this, which i have done but all that happens is that i get passed between different departments and no one will help me or is interested in helping me. Tech support have told me to talk to sales, sales have told me to talk to services, services have told me to talk to customer service who in turn have told me to talk to tech support. Is there anyone in eircom who actually gives a f**k about the paying customer ?.

The quality of support from eircom is a disgrace and im considering moving to vodafone or UPC.

at this stage, im completely worn out from contacting eircom.

eircom need to WAKE up and do something about it
    :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

thehorse wrote: »
    Hello Lads,

I have an issue whereby there is a large loop of cable between my village and the eircom exchange. The exchange is 1 mile from my village and its capable of 24mb but i'm only able to get 5mb. The Eircom guys on this forum told me before that it was/is the loop of cable thats causing the issue and is preventing us from getting better speeds.

The eircom lads on this forum told me previously to contact eircom tech support and complain about this, which i have done but all that happens is that i get passed between different departments and no one will help me or is interested in helping me. Tech support have told me to talk to sales, sales have told me to talk to services, services have told me to talk to customer service who in turn have told me to talk to tech support. Is there anyone in eircom who actually gives a f**k about the paying customer ?.

The quality of support from eircom is a disgrace and im considering moving to vodafone or UPC.

at this stage, im completely worn out from contacting eircom.

eircom need to WAKE up and do something about it
    :mad:

Hi thehorse,

I have been looking into your contact history with us and broadband support. I have escalated this query a few times to the broadband networks team in eircom.

In relation to customers looking to move exchanges they have always got back to me with the same response.

"eircom determine set grids in an area and connect address' to that exchange to try and insure eircom broadband is available to as many people within an area as possible. Unfortunately no matter how the grids are laid out, there are always going to be people who are assigned to an an exchange that may not be the closest exchange to an address or area. Which is why eircom do not move or assign customers to different exchanges"

You may feel that your request is relatively straight forward. However I hope you appreciate that if we action your request then "other customers may look to also be move to a different exchange in an effort to improve there broadband service and speed.

If these request were accepted that would compromise the existing exchange and network lay out. Which may affect how may customers we can offer the broadband service"

Therefore eircom don't take requests from customers looking to move exchanges I'm afraid. As outlined above. It is not that eircom are restricting service or options available to individual customer, it is more a case that eircom have to look at what is best for eircom customers as a whole within an area with the existing frame-work available.

I am sorry i could not get back to you with a more positive outcome.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Hi Mark,

All im asking is that Eircom remove the loop of cable which will shorten the distance of cable between my village and the exchange as this should help. This should be straight forward enough.

The sheer lack of help from eircom is astounding on this and the level/variety of excuses is laughable.

im not asking in any way to move to a different exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

thehorse wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

All im asking is that Eircom remove the loop of cable which will shorten the distance of cable between my village and the exchange as this should help. This should be straight forward enough.

The sheer lack of help from eircom is astounding on this and the level/variety of excuses is laughable.

im not asking in any way to move to a different exchange.

Hi thehorse,

I have been speaking to technicians regarding the cabling from the Dundrm exchange to your address in Knockavilla.

The distance involved is between 2.5 - 3.5Km In terms of how the telephone lines are laid (keep in mind they are not laid in direct line of sight)

The loop you are refereeing to is because when the cabling grid is planned it is main objective is to reach as many customers within a maximum radius from an exchange.

This means we take into account population density's. lay of the land and lay the cables to reach as many people as possible to provide some measure of broadband service.

If we planned and laid the cables specifically for an area in terms of providing the fastest speed possible, that would have a negative effect on customers between your address and the exchange.

As a company I am sure you appreciate we need to assess whet is best for our customer base as a whole and planned the network accordingly.

I appreciate you may feel the request is "straight forward enough" or if "anyone in eircom who actually gives a f**k about the paying customer ?."

However because your request may have negative effect on other customers service we can not look to facilitate your request.

Apologies, Mark

Advertisement