Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Construction studies 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tanzy

I'm going to have to learn off most of the details and all theory in 2 and a half days. At least i did quite well in the project and practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hmf300

can anyone help me? i couldnt attempt one question in the mock and ive no hope. what should i do?? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Lads, I missed most of 5th year, & barely paid attention this year....

I got 60ish% in the mocks

We'll be grand! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Being completely honest I studied the night before my exam for mocks except i was looky suspended timber floor came up and i got 81%hoping for the same in LC :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patrickkelly

Lads Just a tip for ye, look into Rain-Water Harvesting! Very good feeling this will appear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Trev64

hmf300 wrote: »
    can anyone help me? i couldnt attempt one question in the mock and ive no hope. what should i do?? :(

1. visit www.constructionstudies.ie
    2. read the advice on revising for the exam
    3. focus on the 'hot topics'
    4. download the revision notes on the homepage (note: these are for higher level)

best of luck,
    trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Just a quick question relating to this drawing http://www.constructionstudies.ie/2009_hl.pdf
    What size is the footpath?

100mm - it's not really that important

Thanks. Another question, do the examiners correcting the paper actually take a measurement of every single part of the drawing question?

No. There are typically 4 or 6 marks (out of 60) for scale and draughting. So, get the main parts right and do the small parts (e.g.wiindow cill) by eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Trev64 wrote: »
    No. There are typically 4 or 6 marks (out of 60) for scale and draughting. So, get the main parts right and do the small parts (e.g.wiindow cill) by eye.
    When drawing the window + eaves how much of the roof has to be drawn??

Thanks again Trevor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

Do you actually get/lose marks for marking out the page? ( 10mm in on each side and title box on top )

insua wrote: »
    Do you actually get/lose marks for marking out the page? ( 10mm in on each side and title box on top )

As far as I know you don't get any marks for putting a border on the page and you won't loose any by not putting one on :)

More questions :rolleyes:
    How much are we expected to write per question? Whats the minimum number of pages we should be writing including sketches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    How much are we expected to write per question? Whats the minimum number of pages we should be writing including sketches?

Quality over quantity.

But write down absolutely everything you know about whatever they're asking is as good advice as any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

I'd say 2.5 pages/question? That's what I did & I got good results. Ymmv.

But, an important fact, the sketches according to the marking scheme are worth 50% of total marks of some questions!

So include sketches, & a reasonable amount of decent sized sketches.
    And only colour them once everything else is done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 padbro

Lads Just a tip for ye, look into Rain-Water Harvesting! Very good feeling this will appear!

septic tanks is also hotly tipped to come up, since the whole craic about the charges and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Can you use graph paper for your drawings???

No. Never heard of anyone using graph paper for the drawings before :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

The scale is usually 1:5 (or 1:10 for the bigger drawings)

Some of them barely fit on the A3 page (Fireplace to foundation for example),So you will need to be using an A3 page.

acorn1702 wrote: »
    Some of them barely fit on the A3 page (Fireplace to foundation for example),So you will need to be using an A3 page.

You could always turn the page so its vertical for doing drawings like the fireplace or window ope

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CramCramCram

What's everybody looking over for today?

What's everybody looking over for today?

Drawings, U-Value, Passive House, maybe sewerage. That should guarantee me 5 questions I'd say!

insua wrote: »

No marks for borders or title blocks - use the time to do something productive.

For more info on question one visit: http://www.constructionstudies.ie/topics/question-one.html

Be sure to read the text in red at the bottom of the page.

You could always turn the page so its vertical for doing drawings like the fireplace or window ope

You'll be given an A2 sheet in the exam centre so you should have plenty of room.

Here are some of the drawings if you are missing any.

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~abbeynet/Drawings/drawing_entry.htm

For more info on question one visit: http://www.constructionstudies.ie/topics/question-one.html

Be sure to read the text in red at the bottom of the page.

What do you mean by airtightness details? :confused:
    When we do drawing we only show the Radon barrier/DPC in red but never any airtight details in blue.. is it necessary?

subz3r0 wrote: »
    What do you mean by airtightness details? :confused:
    When we do drawing we only show the Radon barrier/DPC in red but never any airtight details in blue.. is it necessary?

If you look at the eaves section it's the blue line at ceiling level etc.

I actually forgot to draw it on the suspended timber ground floor drawing - it should a blue line under the flooring and running up the wall behind the plaster (which is behind the skirting board in this drawing).

I'm going offline now folks... I'll try to check in again tonight.
    best of luck!
    trevor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

Anyone learning the flat roof drawing?

Advertisement