Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Construction studies 2012 Before/After**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

If I just focus on the following topics will I be ok for tomorrow?

Drawings for Q1 only (Mainly suspended timber floor, chimney, eaves detail/window ope)
    Passive house/sunspaces
    U-Values
    Air-tightness
    MVHR
    And what maybe Safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

Whats everyones predictions for the test?
    Also, when we are asked for freehand sketches, does that mean we should do a sketch for each point we have or can we just only do sketches if nessesary? (eg. if im doing a safety question is there any point in me sketching for each point if i have about 10 points?)

Also do ye think there could be a surprise in Q1, Q5, or Q7 this year or do ye think it'll be the same old stuff? (Eaves & Cill, Suspended Floor, Fireplace, Stairs)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    If I just focus on the following topics will I be ok for tomorrow?

Drawings for Q1 only (Mainly suspended timber floor, chimney, eaves detail/window ope)
    Passive house/sunspaces
    U-Values
    Air-tightness
    MVHR
    And what maybe Safety?

I'd add wastewater treatment to the list and look over lux/light questions. Very easy 20/30 minutes work and hasn't come up in a long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cdhide

Whats this one gonna be like? What's ye're predictions/preferences for question 1?

Whats the distance between each of the tassel walls in a suspended timber floor?

• Advertisement

Whats the distance between each of the tassel walls in a suspended timber floor?

About 400mm I think. Don't think there's a definite dimension for it.
    Have the dimensions of the tassel wall(75mm), DPC(150mm), the foundation and the conc wall.. easiest to remember

insua wrote: »
    Anyone learning the flat roof drawing?

Worth a look. Came up in the u values question in 2005 and in the mock this year I think

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

The distance between the tassel walls is approximately 2 metres from centre to centre (I think it's 2.3M max).

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jimdwyer

400mm between centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

dg647 wrote: »
    The distance between the tassel walls is approximately 2 metres from centre to centre (I think it's 2.3M max).

That's way too big

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManTheSam

I have it down as 1.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

ManTheSam wrote: »

I have it down as 1.5m.
    It's 1.8m I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Lads, as long as you have 12 correct details right it won't make much of a difference ;)

I really am screwed for this, I only know the suspended timber floor, window/eaves detail and sort of know the chimney drawing and haven't a clue of the rest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 D.murphy

I really am screwed for this, I only know the suspended timber floor, window/eaves detail and sort of know the chimney drawing and haven't a clue of the rest :(

same as me!

Learn stairs. It's handy enough as it's just repeating the same element for the most of it.

Hopefully both drawings questions will go our way tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

subz3r0 wrote: »

Learn stairs. It's handy enough as it's just repeating the same element for the most of it.

Tats all im worried bout

subz3r0 wrote: »

Im only planning on doing the one drawing question because im not the best at them

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patrickkelly

[url]Http://Moodle.scoilmhuirekanturk.ie[/url]

excellent revision website, choose leaving certificate, and into leaving cert construction, u will need to have a user name and password, use mind
    Username: pkelly
    password: Pk32009

Ive a feeling were gonna get no stairs, no suspended floor or fireplace and a horrible u value question!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sean o r

the way i see it you have 3 definite questions you can prepare for aside form the compulsory drawing q (q1). the passive house and MHRV system will be question 10. You have U-values at question 5 if your any way handy at maths. and if you know your drawings then question 7 is a banker. So with them and the compulsory drawing question you will only have to take a chance on one other question, sewerage should always be covered, waste disposal i.e single stack system, underwater drainage, testing drains etc. hot and cold water system. Another thing im covering is uprgrades in insulation and where thermal bridging may occur. Its a lottery for the Q1 unfortunately.
    Best of luck to everyone doing the exam, its my last exam of the leaving thank ****!!
    peace out

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Can stairs come up as question 1

Can stairs come up as question 1

I don't think it's ever showed up as a Q1 but seems to show up as a Q7 every second year and didn't show up last year so its up to yourself wheather you think its worth looking over... Id be surprised if it showed up as the compulsory question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tanzy

It wasn't too bad of an exam. I ended up doing question 1, 2, 5, 6 and 10. I think I'm on target to get an A. :)

I thought that exam was horrible :mad:. Q.1 was a c**t altogether, I couldn't do it.
    There go my chances of getting a good grade :(

I think the exam was very difficult as well.
    That question 1 would have thrown many people off. I couldn't fit mine on the page :P so I had to improvise.
    The other drawing question was easier but still bad if you haven't revised your timber frame walls.
    U-Value was ok, Q10 was ok, and others werent too bad.

Took me a while to figure out what they were asking and i ended up drawing a cill detail with the eaves detail :/ seemingly we didnt need to do the cill so ive wasted my time on that. Would we lose many marks if we made the ceiling flat instead of sloped on the inside?

Also for uvalues what did ye all get ? I got 0.703 w/mC for the uvalue and an anual loss of €182.88. Anyone else get this?

Also i did the threshold detail (perfectly) for question 7 and realised it was wrong :( I did 400mm above and below the bottom of the door instead of the top. does anyone kno if its possible for me to get a good bit of marks from doing this wrong? like from drawing ext. and int. walls etc, render, DPC. Or do i automatically get 0 marks if i do the wrong drawing?

Id be greatful if anyone can answer any of these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 keith4594

q1 was a bitch it just wasnt written well and was difficult
    i did q1,2,3,6,7,9,10

i did extra just to cover myself

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Well, I'm quite disappointed to say the least.

Q.1 was terrible. I couldn't, & still can't understand just what exactly we were asked!
    I drew a window w/ cill & the eaves. We had never done a lean-to roof before!

The others weren't too terrible, but the U-values was quite off-putting.

1st, we'd never seen a floor question. But that's not really that much of a biggie (just a wall on it's side :p )
    But passive foundations? The only time any of my class heard about that was on construction.ie, & our teacher told us it's not that important.

All set to do a fireplace, eaves, window, door, sus' timber, concrete floor, or stairs. But what was that 2nd drawing about? I saw it & was like "nope.jpg"

Ah well, it's done now! Luckily I did a savage project :D

• Advertisement

Luckily I did a savage project :D

What did you make?

Advertisement