Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Construction studies 2012 Before/After**

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

keith4594 wrote: »
    q1 was a bitch it just wasnt written well and was difficult
    i did q1,2,3,6,7,9,10

i did extra just to cover myself

How did you get that many questions done with only 3 hours? I found it tight enough to get the required amount of questions done nevermind do extra

• Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

Sound ass paper. Did the two drawing questions, u-value, passive and redesigning layout question. A1 in the bag hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ryan_w94

I thought the paper was ok except for Q1!
    It came as a surprise as I have never seen anything quite like it, but I still answered it best as I could. Also I believe the roof was meant to come into contact with the house wall? Which with the given dimensions could not fit. 1.5M being 300mm from the wall. Other than that the other questions were pretty good. I done Q3 which probably wasn't answered very well by me, and I done Q2 Q10 and Q6. It would have been nice to get an A but with that Q1 I'm unsure. My project I'm looking for a nice grade in since it was pretty different. Maybe I'll get a B, I'd be surprised to get an A!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

ryan_w94 wrote: »
    I thought the paper was ok except for Q1!
    It came as a surprise as I have never seen anything quite like it, but I still answered it best as I could. Also I believe the roof was meant to come into contact with the house wall? Which with the given dimensions could not fit. 1.5M being 300mm from the wall. Other than that the other questions were pretty good. I done Q3 which probably wasn't answered very well by me, and I done Q2 Q10 and Q6. It would have been nice to get an A but with that Q1 I'm unsure. My project I'm looking for a nice grade in since it was pretty different. Maybe I'll get a B, I'd be surprised to get an A!

Mine went off the page because i went out 1.5m and started on the cill (Realised afterwards that the cill wasnt required) and the did the eaves but the top of the roof went off the page but i dont think this was required :/ hopefully they'll adjust the marking scheme and we wont lose much.

Were they just looking for an eaves detail really with a few side tasks?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    What did you make?

Guitar.

Nightmare, but the most enjoyable, best playing nightmare I've ever had :P

Hopefully it'll bring me up to a low B or more !

• Advertisement

Mine went off the page because i went out 1.5m and started on the cill (Realised afterwards that the cill wasnt required) and the did the eaves but the top of the roof went off the page but i dont think this was required :/ hopefully they'll adjust the marking scheme and we wont lose much.

Were they just looking for an eaves detail really with a few side tasks?[/Quote]

They only wanted the top half of the window, eaves at 30 degrees, insulation, and it said a raftor 400mm above the abutment? No idea what that was but I just went up 80mm (400mm @ 1:5) and stopped the roof there. And then the wall. Badly phrased question anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 keith4594

How did you get that many questions done with only 3 hours? I found it tight enough to get the required amount of questions done nevermind do extra

knew the course
    MHVR came up loada sketches

boom bobs your uncle
    marys your aunt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Apparently my project was marked 146/150 :D buzzing.
    My day exam went really well so I probably got close to full marks for that too.

Didn't do too bad in this exam, even though Q.1 was such a b*tch, I only read the words sloped ceiling after the exam :(

Hoping for a B1/A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

How'd you find out what you got in your project? :eek:

How'd you find out what you got in your project? :eek:

You know the way your teacher corrects them first and then the examiner agrees or disagrees with the grade?
    Well my teacher gave me 146/150, and the examiner will most likely accept that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

insua wrote: »
    Sound ass paper. Did the two drawing questions, u-value, passive and redesigning layout question. A1 in the bag hopefully
    I'm sure you did well but don't get your hopes up too high, Construction Studies has one of the lowest distribution of A1's!

ryan_w94 wrote: »

Were they just looking for an eaves detail really with a few side tasks?

They only wanted the top half of the window, eaves at 30 degrees, insulation, and it said a raftor 400mm above the abutment? No idea what that was but I just went up 80mm (400mm @ 1:5) and stopped the roof there. And then the wall. Badly phrased question anyway.[/QUOTE]

Uh oh, hopefully not too much lost anyway.. il be happy with 40/60 in that. do you think most marks will be given for all of the eaves details? i have at least 15

ive already posted this but can someone please answer these it'd be much appreciated...

Took me a while to figure out what they were asking and i ended up drawing a cill detail with the eaves detail :/ seemingly we didnt need to do the cill so ive wasted my time on that. Would we lose many marks if we made the ceiling flat instead of sloped on the inside?

Also for uvalues what did ye all get ? I got 0.703 w/mC for the uvalue and an anual loss of €182.88. Anyone else get this?

Also i did the threshold detail (perfectly) for question 7 and realised it was wrong :( I did 400mm above and below the bottom of the door instead of the top. does anyone kno if its possible for me to get a good bit of marks from doing this wrong? like from drawing ext. and int. walls etc, render, DPC. Or do i automatically get 0 marks if i do the wrong drawing?

Id be greatful if anyone can answer any of these :)

Uh oh, hopefully not too much lost anyway.. il be happy with 40/60 in that. do you think most marks will be given for all of the eaves details? i have at least 15[/Quote]

Yeah I'd say the eaves , window head and portion of the roof would probably get the most marks, but then again what would I know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tanzy

Also for uvalues what did ye all get ? I got 0.703 w/mC for the uvalue and an anual loss of €182.88. Anyone else get this?

Ye, i got the same and u-value would be my best/favorite question on the paper. :)

I got 0.7037 for the U-Value and €183.06 for thr cost. I'm sure there is a range of acceptable answers for this question? It all depends how you round up and whatever.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    I got 0.7037 for the U-Value and €183.06 for thr cost. I'm sure there is a range of acceptable answers for this question? It all depends how you round up and whatever.

You'll have full marks there i think they give a pretty fair tolerance anyway.

Advertisement