Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Oil Streets of Galway 8k 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

nice one - just registered - enjoy this run

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

I ran this last year. I will not be doing it this year.
    The start is too crazy for my liking.

A runner is nearly at the skeff before they have any room. That's only my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

DriverMad wrote: »

A runner is nearly at the skeff before they have any room. That's only my opinion though.
    its like everything in galway........a bit mental :D as they say, if ye cant bate them,join them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Does anyone know if there's anyway of signing up for this without credit card?? I'm not a member of any club myself so can't go that route??

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's anyway of signing up for this without credit card?? I'm not a member of any club myself so can't go that route??
    runireland.com accept laser cards.

• Advertisement

aburke wrote: »
    runireland.com accept laser cards.

Aye, I seen that... Would you believe in this day and age I don't even have laser :D Oh well, I'll just have to get a family member to let me use theirs :)
    Thanks for the reply though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Aye, I seen that... Would you believe in this day and age I don't even have laser :D Oh well, I'll just have to get a family member to let me use theirs :)
    Thanks for the reply though:)
    Galway City Harriers are an accommodating bunch - get in touch directly via their website - I'm sure they'd be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭El Director

No road races done this year thus far but I wasn't missing this one again so I'm signed up! Missed the last 3 for various reasons and was determined to be toeing the line for this year, I even sold my Caroline Kearney Tri slot even though that's prob my favorite olympic tri! Something about a Sat evening road race around your home city that makes it special.

@DriverMad true it can be a crazy start and if you want a competitive time you really need to place yourself near to the front, should be no problem then getting some space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Great race, and course, big entries this year as well, hopefully the Galway weather will pick up, will the evergreen Gerry R win yet again..??

Entries close next Wed 1st August or before if it sells out.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

"streets of galway runners" read this important notice,may the best man/lady win :D:D
    http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/streets-galway/corrib-oil-sog-2012-final-instructions-entrants

• Advertisement

Aww yea, looking forward to it now... Hoping for a tail wind to help me towards the finish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

Good race yesterday! Just sneaked in under 32 minutes so well happy

ofthelord wrote: »
    Good race yesterday! Just sneaked in under 32 minutes so well happy

Good job :) . I was aiming for 40 but just managed 42.. Oh well, plenty of scope for improvement:(

It was a lovely day for it and a good turn out..
    Well done if any of the organisers are on here..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

DriverMad wrote: »

The start of the race is a bit crazy but as posted above if your thinking of clocking a fast time get to the start early to get a good position. funnily enough the start was especially messy last year with alot of people still queuing to get into position when the race started. this year was a bit better. not the organizers fault though.

myself, I was carrying a bit of a strain this year but still loved it even though it was a very warm evening (the breeze on the prom never felt so good!).

thanks to all who organized and cheered on the weary legs, it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Enjoyed this a lot - well done GCH. Nice to race for the first time in my home town, with the race passing about 100mts from my old front door, which is now a chipper :(.
    Went down with low expectations after stepping off the training and falling off the bike on Thurs. Course is great and quick, except a slippy back road up to Eyre Sq with the surreal squeaking of runners adding random background percussion to the huffing and puffing. Great pockets of support around the course with Spanish Arch, Eyre Sq and Salthill the highlights for me as early Saturday night revelers or later afternooners came out to cheer. My race I went off too fast and paid at the end, but picked up an undeserved M45 3rd place, will be back to try and do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Really enjoyed the race on Saturday. It's hard to beat running around the streets of your home town. Turning the corner for the finishing straight is a great buzz. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

another great and well organised race.

ya the road outside the carpark on merchants? rd was slippy squeaky runners time.

the guy with the buggy at the front (see todays indepentent), i say fair play to him. dont know where he finished but i think he was well up (top 10 or 20 or something i was told?) only gripe is he makes the rest of us look bad:o

i though the head wind on the prom home made for slower times in sofar as comparing top 200 v other years the times were down.

great race , great route great organisation.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Really enjoyed the race, it's something about the route and the atmosphere that makes it so good for me. Beforehand I said i just wanted to get in the top 100, and made it, by one place! One thing that put a real downer on the race was the whole start line thing. Normally, the races I do dont have 2k+ people in it, but it was just so packed until we got to NUIG. I was just really annoyed at people that put themselves only a few rows from the front and then got immediately passed out within a few seconds. Apart from that though, a very enjoyable day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jacko mann

is it true that the route for the streets 2013 is to be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Just wondering if anyone knows when tickets are going to go on sale for this year? The start is gong to be mental with those new roundabouts at the start/finish....... bring it on

• Advertisement
Advertisement