Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper 2...Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

QUESTI0N wrote: »
    Er… correct me if I'm wrong but did I spot a grammatical error on the Hurlamboc question?
    Déan plé air sin

I thought, but I might be wrong here, that 'ar' should have been used in that case? If so then scarlet for the SEC

Yeah that's completely wrong. I distinctly remember making the same ar/air mistake in my Christmas test in first year. Awkward for the SEC.

They called Máire Ní Chathasaigh 'Máire Uí Chathasaigh' too, I always called her the former because she's unmarried, and, well, 'cause that's her name. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Beautiful paper:D
    Hulamaboc was great . An Triail seemed to be the most open basic qst possible and the comprehensions were grand !
    One thing , the poetry wasn't like the samples - Way to many marks going for the poet

• Registered Users Posts: 3 QUESTI0N

Togepi wrote: »
    Yeah that's completely wrong. I distinctly remember making the same ar/air mistake in my Christmas test in first year. Awkward for the SEC.

They called Máire Ní Chathasaigh 'Máire Uí Chathasaigh' too, I always called her the former because she's unmarried, and, well, 'cause that's her name. :cool:

Disgraceful! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

hurlamabollocks came up -_- got 2 pages roughly on poetry, prós and an triail each. happy enough with the paper really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 liverpoolskid

That was such a nice paper! The comprehensions were handy enough, question 6s were a bit difficult but in general they were grand!
    To be fair we couldn't have gotten better poem and pros question!
    An Triail was grand to considering I only decided to do it at the weekend without ever knowing what was going on before!
    All i can say is, pity about the essay on paper 1, it brought me down!
    Overall, the SEC made up for the Plath and Heaney blunder!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Thought that was a lovely paper! Q6s were fairly easy with the sole exception of the genre question which I had never looked at before. Think they expected a bit more than usual in the part bs of the comprehension than usual, anyone else notice that? Delighted that hurlamaboc came up, lost my notes on dis and Oisin, which I'd never even read before. Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Togepi wrote: »
    Didn't like the paper apart from the comprehensions. The roghnach poetry question was lovely apart from the bit about the poet, I had to use a harder poem just for that, even though my favourite one fitted the question. Messed up on An Triail too because I didn't know the word for feminism (I would've understood it if it had anything to do with the Irish word 'bean', but no).

I just had a look at the paper now. I assume you are referring to the word "fimíneacht" which actually means hypocrisy, so maybe you did ok after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I just had a look at the paper now. I assume you are referring to the word "fimíneacht" which actually means hypocrisy, so maybe you did ok after all.
    Holy moly you just stopped me thinking I made a serious fcuk up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Btw isn't her name Máire Ní Chathasaigh not Uí?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Was it ok to do "Geibheann" for the poetry question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 aptmilpalmeras

M&S* wrote: »
    Btw isn't her name Máire Ní Chathasaigh not Uí?

Yes, but the Ní changes to Uí for tuiseal ginideach after "fulaingt". That's why Máire had the "h" as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Was it ok to do "Geibheann" for the poetry question?

You're joking, right?

finality wrote: »
    You're joking, right?

But didn't it say a modern poem that you have studied for the other option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Should be an A1 in the bag there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

finality wrote: »
    You're joking, right?

But didn't it say a modern poem that you have studied for the other option?
    You just lost 30 marks ! That's for people doing their own choice of poems not geibheann colscaradh mo ghrasa an spailpin or an tearrach thiar

haro124 wrote: »
    You just lost 30 marks ! That's for people doing their own choice of poems not geibheann colscaradh mo ghrasa an spailpin or an tearrach thiar

Ahhh, I feel so stupid now. I was told that we could study a different poem for that section in case it asked for a "male poet" or whatever.

I think I'm gonna go cry now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Lovely paper altogether! Almost regret not studying the prose and poetry a bit more but ah well :P Comprehensions were really nice. I just waffled for all of my poetry prose and An Triail, got about 2 pages for Hurlamaboc, 2 for all the Earrach Thiair questions together and about 2 and a half for An Triail. Not that bothered about that whole section though, even if I got half marks in everything that'd be good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I think I got like 95/100 for the comprehensions at least, they were perfect!
    My essays weren't the best ever but around 20/30 for them would be grand with me really. :) Today's been a pretty good day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Such a nice paper! :)
    Thought the comprehensions were tricky but doable.
    Although you dont have to word it yourself I found that you kinda had to for some.
    And for some questions the answer to the 3rd part was in like the first line, and the answer for the 1st part very last. Thats no the usual, but still they weren't bad. :)

The hurmalaboc question was the exact sample answer our teacher did with us.
    Had a feeling about an tEarrach thiar so all in all good :)

Hoping to at least get my B1 now.

I really hope I passed at this stage with 30 marks down the drain already

I did well in the comphrensions though.... Ahhh I feel so stupid :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

was i the only one that found it really irritating the way a load of questions in the comprehensions were made up of several parts?

I really hope I passed at this stage with 30 marks down the drain already

I did well in the comphrensions though.... Ahhh I feel so stupid :(

It's 30 marks out of 600- the same number of marks that were for reading the poem in the Oral. Put it behind you and move on. Comprehensions were 100 marks, so it's good that you did well there.

was i the only one that found it really irritating the way a load of questions in the comprehensions were made up of several parts?
    YES!

They weren't like that in the papers. Kinda threw me off at the start.

The advantage of this is that you could only lose 3 or 4 marks if you got a question wrong, so not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

Yeah I found that out since, thanks. The second half of my answer's a good bit more relevant now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Great paper. Comprehensions were the easiest ever.
    Am I the only one here who did A Thig na Tit orm? Question wasn't great but got like 4 pages on it. Good day good day.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Great paper. Comprehensions were the easiest ever.
    Am I the only one here who did A Thig na Tit orm? Question wasn't great but got like 4 pages on it. Good day good day.

I did.
    Easiest question ever I thought :). The first and apparently most important sample our teacher prepared. And her hurlamaboc Q came up too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 moll_bangers

hurlamabolocks....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Was anyone really pissed of when they decided to give you the English word for "cinneal" in question 6 on the second comprehension? I mean, come on SEC, I could've found at least 8 harder words in other questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Did anybody do "Gafa"? I didn't really understand the question.

Advertisement