Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper 2...Before/After**

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Great paper. Comprehensions were the easiest ever.
    Am I the only one here who did A Thig na Tit orm? Question wasn't great but got like 4 pages on it. Good day good day.

Yeah I did that. hadn't looked at it in months, got almost 2 pages of an answer on humour and the insight Maidhc Dainín gives into the life of a young person in the past. :L Be grand, I'll probably get 20-something for it.

Wanchor wrote: »
    Was anyone really pissed of when they decided to give you the English word for "cinneal" in question 6 on the second comprehension? I mean, come on SEC, I could've found at least 8 harder words in other questions.

I think they were clarifying. They did that in the sample papers too, translated it as genre I mean. "cineál" on its own, as in "type", would make the question a bit vague imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

What did people say for their question 6 in the comprehensions?

I said people are respectful of people like this for their athleticism but they still mock him due to his indian heritage

and for the 2nd one I said it was written in the form of a discussion as he gave details from his own personal experiences and also that he summarised the facts and gave his opinions on them in the end.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Great paper. Comprehensions were the easiest ever.
    Am I the only one here who did A Thig na Tit orm? Question wasn't great but got like 4 pages on it. Good day good day.

Ye the A Thig Na Tit Orm was very nice question :D Got 3 pages on it. Hurlamaboc there too not bad I say! :)

David1994 wrote: »
    Ye the A Thig Na Tit Orm was very nice question :D Got 3 pages on it. Hurlamaboc there too not bad I say! :)

I loved that hurlamaboc question.

I went into such detail saying that lizin is representative of society as she puts too much emphasis on physical appearences et all and that the women on the street symbolise how everyone in society conforms and wears masks to hide their true selves.

Got 3 pages out of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Tankosaur wrote: »
    I loved that hurlamaboc question.

I went into such detail saying that lizin is representative of society as she puts too much emphasis on physical appearences et all and that the women on the street symbolise how everyone in society conforms and wears masks to hide their true selves.

Got 3 pages out of it :D

Fair play I did 2 on that :P In my mock I did barely 1 and lost about 3 marks...Hope Irish goes good as Biology didn't go my way :/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cailindana

Fergus_ wrote: »
    But didn't it say a modern poem that you have studied for the other option?
    I dont know why they didnt write the instructions at the top of this question to stop students making the mistake! I know at least one other person who did q 3b..

David1994 wrote: »
    Fair play I did 2 on that :P In my mock I did barely 1 and lost about 3 marks...Hope Irish goes good as Biology didn't go my way :/

I found I had too much time during this exam.

I did both comps in maybe an hour total, the spent 35 mins on an tearrach thiar and got maybe 3 pages out of it (too much I know, I wrote 2 pages for the 14 mark question)

The the danta breise took me about 40 mins and I got just over 3 pages.

Spent 30 mins on hurlamabuc and got 3 pages again.

Had 20-25 mins left to read over everything despite writing more than enough for each question.

What did people say for their question 6 in the comprehensions?

I said people are respectful of people like this for their athleticism but they still mock him due to his indian heritage

and for the 2nd one I said it was written in the form of a discussion as he gave details from his own personal experiences and also that he summarised the facts and gave his opinions on them in the end.

Any thoughts?

I said that it was factual because he gave facts and used suitable language...hahaha, that's the exact answer I use for every genre question. I think it's a fair argument though. He DID use facts. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

finality wrote: »
    I said that it was factual because he gave facts and used suitable language...hahaha, that's the exact answer I use for every genre question. I think it's a fair argument though. He DID use facts. :L
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOaZYhTd2BU Facts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

QUESTI0N wrote: »
    Er… correct me if I'm wrong but did I spot a grammatical error on the Hurlamboc question?
    Déan plé air sin

I thought, but I might be wrong here, that 'ar' should have been used in that case? If so then scarlet for the SEC

"Déan plé air sin" is right, it's like it should really be "chomh maith leis sin" instead of "chomh maith le sin" but people use both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

You're joking, right?

Think they're talking about QB on poetry, I think you can do anything for that.

I said it was a report at first, but then I changed and said it was a discussion (plé).

The reason i opted away from report was it was too personal, a report should be objective but this was from personal experiances and he gave his opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

For the Q6 of the second comprehension I just said it was a mixture between an insint and a personal article or something. Didn't give any characteristics or features, just waffled on a bit in hope of a couple of marks :L

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Think they're talking about QB on poetry, I think you can do anything for that.

Except what they did, use one of the prescribed ones. :P

leaveiton wrote: »
    For the Q6 of the second comprehension I just said it was a mixture between an insint and a personal article or something. Didn't give any characteristics or features, just waffled on a bit in hope of a couple of marks :L

My first instinct was narrative because 1 it was written in the amsir chaite and 2 it was personal

But then after the 2nd paragraph it became more factual , impersonal and the tense changed to the aimsir lathrach.

It was........... strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

I cannot believe my ears when I hear people saying they got 6 pages for the Paper 1 essay, then like 3 pages for hurlamaboc, 4 for an triail etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

My first instinct was narrative because 1 it was written in the amsir chaite and 2 it was personal

But then after the 2nd paragraph it became more factual , impersonal and the tense changed to the aimsir lathrach.

Can you say the genre was argumentative or is that completely wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Anyone else think both papers were just beautiful? Everything I wanted came up(don't really like Hurlamaboc but whatever) and the comprehensions were actually easier than ones I've done before! However it was annoying how they slipped in 2 questions for every part b ;O Some people didn't get them finished because of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I really hope I passed at this stage with 30 marks down the drain already

I did well in the comphrensions though.... Ahhh I feel so stupid :(

Sure the poetry section is only worth 5% of the entire exam, I wouldn't worry much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

What story did people use for this?

Maidir leis an sliocht as an úrscéal roghnach a ndearna tú staidéar air le linn do chúrsa, déan plé
    gairid ar an bpríomhthéama atá ann, agus ar fhorbairt an phríomhthéama sin sa sliocht.

I couldn't think of the authors name on the day - would you lose a lot of marks for that?

Maidir le dán nua-aimseartha a ndearna tú staidéar air le linn do chúrsa

Oh. Fook. I used Geibheann, will they not give you any marks at all? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

What story did people use for this?

Maidir leis an sliocht as an úrscéal roghnach a ndearna tú staidéar air le linn do chúrsa, déan plé
    gairid ar an bpríomhthéama atá ann, agus ar fhorbairt an phríomhthéama sin sa sliocht.

I couldn't think of the authors name on the day - would you lose a lot of marks for that?

Maidir le dán nua-aimseartha a ndearna tú staidéar air le linn do chúrsa

Oh. Fook. I used Geibheann, will they not give you any marks at all? :(
    Fraid so :(

Advertisement