Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC in Nottingham, Sept 29th**spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

DrPhilG wrote: »
    If I do go to this event (more than likely, I've told the wife it's her Christmas present to me...) then I'll be leaving it late and buying on ebay.

Where are you flying from/to? I'm leaning towards Dublin to East Midlands. Pain in the hole driving from Donegal to Dublin instead of flying from Derry or even Belfast but flights are crap from there and I'd probably end up having to bus into Nottingham from Birmingham or further.

East Midlands in great for Nottingham. £12 return on a bus to Nottingham, 24 hours per day. It's possible to leave Dublin on Saturday at 4pm, get to EMA at 5pm, bus into town to be there shortly after 6pm, then to the arena, watch the fights, go for a few beers, then bus it out to the airport for the early flight home on Sunday. 50 euro for the flight, no hotel required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    East Midlands in great for Nottingham. £12 return on a bus to Nottingham, 24 hours per day. It's possible to leave Dublin on Saturday at 4pm, get to EMA at 5pm, bus into town to be there shortly after 6pm, then to the arena, watch the fights, go for a few beers, then bus it out to the airport for the early flight home on Sunday. 50 euro for the flight, no hotel required.

If I do go it will be for the Q&A and weigh ins etc too. I usually stay in the cheapest hole I can find though! :D

It's 88 days away. I reckon there is a decent chance that Gunnar Nelson will be on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

It's 88 days away. I reckon there is a decent chance that Gunnar Nelson will be on the card.

Yea, fightersonly have suggested that he has been offered a place on that card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Confirmed:

Tom "Kong" Watson v Brad Tavares

John Maguire v John Hathaway

Great to see Kong get a chance and Maguire v Hathaway is a beast of a fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Maguire is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. He was awesome in his last fight.
    This is shaping up to be a decent enough card for this side of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭liverbear

gunnarnelson_cc12.jpg
    Newly signed jiu-jitsu sensation Gunnar Nelson (9-0-1) has finally been added to the UFC Nottingham card.

His opponent will be German Pascal Krauss (10-1), who is coming off his first professional loss to John Hathaway at UFC on FOX in May.

“I am well aware that Nelson isn’t just one of the top prospects, but also one of the top up-and-coming black belts competing in MMA,”

“I have trained with many outstanding grapplers myself, like Dean Lister and Ben Askren, though, and fighting in the UFC is not a jiu-jitsu competition, so I’m really looking forward to welcoming Gunnar to the Octagon!” Krauss told Sherdog

Nelson’s SBGi training partner and fellow Welterweight Cathal Pendred says he only sees one possible outcome.

“I can’t see it going any other way than a win for Gunni. I think Gunnar is better than him everywhere.”

“That’s a very bad match up for Pascal Krauss”

Renzo Gracie will be on the MMA Hour today, which starts in 5 minutes (1pm ET/6pm BST)

I asked him on twitter if he would be talking about Gunni, and he retweeted so i will take that as a yes!

Check it out http://www.mmafighting.com/

Update: here is the audio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Despite the reach disadvantage I think Miocic will eat struve.

Tickets, flights and hotel are all sorted now. This card is shaping up to be really decent, much better than I can remember in Europe of late. It would be great to get an Irish fighter on there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Tickets, flights and hotel are all sorted now. This card is shaping up to be really decent, much better than I can remember in Europe of late. It would be great to get an Irish fighter on there too.

Think they're keeping the Irish lads aside for the Paddy's Day UFC card in Dublin :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I was looking into this last night and was just casually thinking what is the biggest event the UK could sell out? They seem to fill up these arenas quite easy even when the tickets are pretty expensive.

GSP did the Rogers centre, Let's say the UFC go with Bisping for the middleweight title. Could they realistically "stadium" it?

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I was looking into this last night and was just casually thinking what is the biggest event the UK could sell out? They seem to fill up these arenas quite easy even when the tickets are pretty expensive.

GSP did the Rogers centre, Let's say the UFC go with Bisping for the middleweight title. Could they realistically "stadium" it?

Yeah, without a doubt, the only thing that would hold them back is the weather, but then there's The Millenium Stadium in Cardiff wit it's nice shiny roof, Calzhage fought in there, they can close half the stadium off, think he fought in front of around 30,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

ShagNastii wrote: »

Wouldn't be worthwhile for them. The MEN arena, the biggest arena in the UK has a capacity of 21,000 and would cost a hell of lot less to run than a stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

card has been complete now for while:
    Struve vs Miocic
    Hardy vs Sadollah
    Pickett vs Jabouin
    Hathaway vs Maguire
    Mills vs Ludwig
    Kingsbury vs Manuwa
    Ogle vs Corassani
    Watson vs Tavares
    Krauss vs Nelson
    Young vs Peralta

i think the fights look great on paper, way better than any european cards.
    only 200€+ tickets available :(
    if anyone who has tickets that cant go please let me know (cheapist ones that is )

adamski8 wrote: »
    only 200€+ tickets available :(
    if anyone who has tickets that cant go please let me know (cheapist ones that is )

I have flights and hotel booked but no tickets.

Front row along the fighter entrances is still available but I'm not sure what the view is like. 8 rows back available too but on the long end not side on.

I have tickets and hotel and flights, will let people know if I can't make it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

meh best views in the cage :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Will the last couple of fights be around 3am to suit the US audience or will it be earlier?.

• Advertisement

Will the last couple of fights be around 3am to suit the US audience or will it be earlier?.

Earlier. Event will probably end around 11. Likely on tape delay in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Decent card, wish I could make it, I see strikeforce has an event on that night too, ufc might show it live and early?

edit,

yes ufc showing it early in the states

Sat, Sep 29
    1PM/4PM PTET
    Nottingham

This is the full completed card. Some great fights in there. I'm really looking forward to seeing Gunnar in action again. And I want to see how Tom Watson gets on too. Plus Maguire v Hathaway should be a cracker.
    And I think ill stick a fortune on Paul Sass to win by triangle! He's almost sure to deliver!!

MAIN CARD
    • Stipe Miocic vs. Stefan Struve
    • Dan Hardy vs. Amir Sadollah
    • Yves Jabouin vs. Brad Pickett
    • Paul Sass vs. Matt Wiman
    • John Hathaway vs. John Maguire
    • Duane Ludwig vs. Che Mills

PRELIMINARY CARD
    • Kyle Kingsbury vs. Jimi Manuwa
    • Akira Corassani vs. Andy Ogle
    • Brad Tavares vs. Tom Watson
    • Pascal Krauss vs. Gunnar Nelson
    • Robert Peralta vs. Jason Young
    • Jorgen Kruth vs. Fabio Maldonado

Rich Attonito to face Gunnar Nelson following injury to Pascal Krauss
    Gunnar Nelson’s father has revealed via twitter that Pascal Krauss has been forced to withdraw from UFC in Nottingham later this month, and that Gunnar will now face Rich Attonito, who has agreed to step in on short notice

“Pascal Krauss out injured. Rich Attonito is Gunnar’s Nelson new opponent at UFC in Nottingham. Credit to him for stepping in.”

Attonito has gone 3-2 in the UFC since his debut back in June 2010 where he TKOed Jamie Yager. “The Raging Bull” lost his last fight against Jake Hecht by TKO back in December

We spoke to Cathal Pendred, who is over in Iceland helping Gunnar prepare for this bout

“Gunni has been training hard and is ready to fight. The change in opponent makes little difference really, there will be the same outcome.”

More - http://severemma.com/2012/09/16/rich-attonito-to-face-gunnar-nelson-following-injury-to-pascal-krauss/

I wonder what the odds will be on Gunnar winning by sub?
    If they're any way decent I'll be lumping money on it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Dean09 wrote: »
    I wonder what the odds will be on Gunnar winning by sub?
    If they're any way decent I'll be lumping money on it anyway.

Id say you would only get outright prices at best seeing its a prelim fight. Hope im wrong.

Id say you would only get outright prices at best seeing its a prelim fight. Hope im wrong.

You're probably right.
    But if I remember correctly, I sent an email to paddy power a while back about prices on an event, and they said if ever they don't have a price on something, you can contact them and they'll give you odds on whatever you want.
    So it might be worth checking out closer to the event.

Good call, i asked paddy power on twitter just there for method of victory odds on the Gunni fight

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Good call, i asked paddy power on twitter just there for method of victory odds on the Gunni fight
    Good stuff. Let us know if they get back to you!

They replied

"@SevereMMA We'll more than likely have this priced up closer to the time"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If a couple of people ask them for the price they should put it up.
    I wouldn't specifically request by sub, just ask for full method of victory market. Better chance if a fair price that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

Changed again :rolleyes:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30665/damarques-johnson-not-rich-attonito-meets-gunnar-nelson-at-ufc-on-fuel-tv-5.mma

In personal excitement news; Hotel, flights, tickets all booked :D

I'm just back from Nottingham and will go again for the fights, really mental place at the weekends but good fun all the same.

I have a ticket for the Forest vs Derby game on the Sunday afternoon too.

If I don't see good fights at the UFC on Saturday I should do at the match on Sunday!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have a ticket for the Forest vs Derby game on the Sunday afternoon too.

If I don't see good fights at the UFC on Saturday I should do at the match on Sunday!

Yes, the game was originally scheduled for Saturday but they changed it so as I am going to miss it, terrible, it's always a cracking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Just wondering who is heading over and where you are staying?

Any tips for travelling there as I'm going on my own.

I work for Paddy Power and will get a price for a Gunni sub win this morning.

Cheers.

Cheers.

I'm heading over, the only tips I can offer are:

1. East Midland Airport - It's closest to Nottingham and is a really fast airport to get out of, there's no passport control etc and you just walk out the door and you're pretty much right at the bus/taxi stop.
    2. Take the bus from the airport as opposed to a taxi, the bus is pretty fast and runs 24 hours, if you stay on until the last stop then you are within walking distance of the arena. If you order a taxi you actually have to order one and it can take 20 minutes for one to turn up.
    3. Jury's Inn is a nice hotel and is close to everything.
    4. Forest v Derby on Sunday is always a cracking game.

Cheers.

We are also flying into East Midlands airport on Friday morning, 5 of us

Staying in the Premier Inn in the Nottingham Arena (London Road)

• Advertisement

Premier Inn is just down the road from Hooters - Good pub for a few beers and watching a game etc. Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem is also worth a visit, it's just beside Nottingham Castle. http://www.triptojerusalem.com/

Avoid Sherwood Forest, there is really nothing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Cheers Lads, wanna PM me a number for a beer?

Premier Inn is just down the road from Hooters - Good pub for a few beers and watching a game etc. Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem is also worth a visit, it's just beside Nottingham Castle. http://www.triptojerusalem.com/

Hooters? is that not really expensive?

I will check out Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

Hooters? is that not really expensive?

I will check out Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

I've never been to a Hooters except for the one in Nottingham but the one in Nottingham is just normal pub prices, they do bar food as well and it's actually pretty good.

Sound good, thanks

We went to one in the dam a few years ago and it was insane, like 7e for a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Has Paddy Power got back to anyone with prices on Gunni to win via sub ? I asked them but heard nothing back !!

• Advertisement

They told me today

"@SevereMMA I have contacted a trader about this so when I have more info I will let you know"

They do not even have prices on the method of victory in the main event yet so it's obviously something they will do closer to the time. With all the requests for prices on Nelson to win by submission they may price it up at a short price.

I have been asking for method of victory not gunni by sub so hopefully they wont cop

Cheers.
    I have been asking for method of victory not gunni by sub so hopefully they wont cop

DOH :rolleyes:

A3rB8INCEAAeSwW.jpg

Bigger

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/250725968002551808

• Advertisement
Advertisement