Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC in Nottingham, Sept 29th**spoilers**

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

DrPhilG wrote: »
    1 from 3...

Wiman got SOTN, Struve-Miocic got FOTN.

You were right on Pickett though, that one was never in doubt.

i think wiman deserved it more. hard to call FOTN, undercard is rarely going to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

weemcd wrote: »
    Anyone with decent striking would make easy work of Struve, he looks very easy to hit. Not good at using distance/his advantages

absolutely agree with the one stipulation that 'anyone with decent striking' would need to be at least 6'7''. Miocic looked great going to the body and back upstairs and using feints to cut off Struves usual relentless chasing around the cage jab jab jab chase jab finish... he's just another Semmy.... with that ridiculously dangerous knee-jab through your guard technique... a nightmare to fight unless you are leagues better and can just go for the kill like JDS or Valasquez.

Struve is only 24 and he's been brilliant so far in his career and I like the guy but he's headed down a very bad road - he takes faaaar too much punishment to the head bone! and e'll never ever be champ under any circumstances.. He's already had about 30 fights I think and he will have to fight credible opposition constantly from now on especially after that fight last night which was a really good fight IMO although I was rootin for Miocic coz he was doing so well up to a point.. but then those lanky jabs started comin out and there's so much weight behind Struves half bandy striking it just puts people down or opens them up so easily.. Somebody in Struves life should tell him he's never going to be champ and all he's heading for from here on in is brain damage. Most will disagree I'm sure, pity though.

By the way how mental is it that Jones has the same reach as Struve!! 84.5 inches

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

1 from 3...

I definitely don't agree with Struve/Miocic getting FOTN.

It's a shame that the under cards don't always get the credit they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

1 from 3...

I definitely don't agree with Struve/Miocic getting FOTN.

It's a shame that the under cards don't always get the credit they deserve.

Funny enough, I enjoyed the Struve Miocic fight most. Need to watch it again when I get home though, you often get a different perspective and opinion on fights watching them on TV. Plenty of times I've disagreed with a decision when in the crowd and then agreed with it after watching at home and vice versa.

There were some odd judging calls though, I thought Ogle clearly won 29-28, and I have no clue how one judge thought Watson won.

Ah I'm not saying it wasn't entertaining, it certainly was. I just wouldn't have had it as FOTN.

Had Ogle in a €50 accumulator and felt like vomiting when he lost. Turns out Sass would have let me down later on anyways so no biggy :)

how ogle got 30-27 against him is just amazing

I really need to rewatch that fight with an unbiased opinion. Maybe the fact there was money on it might have skewed my thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I really need to rewatch that fight with an unbiased opinion. Maybe the fact there was money on it might have skewed my thoughts.

Watch with volume off too, that makes a HUGE difference

scudzilla wrote: »

Would never had thought of that until I found a video of JJ v Belfort online in Portuguese the other day. Really does make a big difference.

• Advertisement

Would never had thought of that until I found a video of JJ v Belfort online in Portuguese the other day. Really does make a big difference.

Anik not so much, but Rogan can REALLY influence the way you think a fight has gone, i know most here have years of experience of watching fights, but that little fcuker can throw all that in the shredder and convince you someone has won when they clearly haven't!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Anik not so much, but Rogan can REALLY influence the way you think a fight has gone, i know most here have years of experience of watching fights, but that little fcuker can throw all that in the shredder and convince you someone has won when they clearly haven't!!!

Yep.
    He can be seriously biased towards some fighters. A good commentator should always remain impartial, which he rarely does.

I had no volume in block 13 and I thought it was a cert for Ogle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I had no volume in block 13 and I thought it was a cert for Ogle.

You focking inmates are spoilt rotten ye vermin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Dean09 wrote: »
    Yep.
    He can be seriously biased towards some fighters. A good commentator should always remain impartial, which he rarely does.

I don't think it's necessary, in fact traditionally the colour commentator is biased.

Take a look at football on sky sports - typically you have Gary Neville (Man U), Alan Smith (Arsenal) or previously Andy Gray (Everton) as the colour commentator.

Jim Brown back in the early UFCs was usually pretty pro-Gracie.

Even WWE has a colour commentator who is obviously pro-heel.

I think Joe is sometimes biased alright, but essentially he's an enthusiastic fan who just happens to work there. I also think most people in the same situation would have some biased opinions as well - it's what adds the colour :D

The point is we all know he's a little biased beforehand, so just take that into account...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Shogun / Machida 1 is the prime example of this. He was raving about Shogun winning it and was probably one of the reasons for the immediate rematches, which have become a trend since then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I dont mind his bias so much as when he disagrees with a decision and first of all says it on commentary, then worst of all when he says it to the fighter himself during the post fight interview, I really don't think it's fair how he can go up to a guy who is delighted with getting a hard fought victory, maybe not even all that controversially and tell him that it was a bad decision or some crap like that. I forget the examples of when it happened, anyone else remember the fights in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Playing catch up here, only getting to see this now. Has Gunnar Nelson spent any time over here? From the sounds of him during the interview after his win he has :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

calex71 wrote: »
    Playing catch up here, only getting to see this now. Has Gunnar Nelson spent any time over here? From the sounds of him during the interview after his win he has :confused:

Long time student of John Kavanagh at SBG Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

EnjoyChoke wrote: »

Ah ha , that would explain the slight accent then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

calex71 wrote: »
    EnjoyChoke wrote: »

Ah ha , that would explain the slight accent then ;)

truth is he watches a lot of fair city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

unknown13 wrote: »
    Shogun / Machida 1 is the prime example of this. He was raving about Shogun winning it and was probably one of the reasons for the immediate rematches, which have become a trend since then.
    A lot of people thought Shogun won, I've no idea what Rogan had to do with that.
    And IIRC , Dana announced a rematch immediately, he wouldn't have heard the commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Well, I had a great night in Nottingham, worth every penny and enjoyed every fight. I was very disappointed for Ogle as I really thought he had won that fight. The 30-27 score just defined it for me. Hopefully Ogle gets another shot. Nelson was really impressive. I read this arrticle on him afterwards and I thought it was pretty interesting:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/10/1/3437504/ufc-dan-hardy-jimi--manuwa-gunnar-nelson-title-run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

I wonder if Demarques Johnson will be cut after Saturday. He hasn't had a good run as of late. The same could possibly be said of Duane Ludwig. Once again John Hathaway proves he's a serious force to be reckoned with in the WW division. A possibility for Gunni next maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

unknown13 wrote: »

Because Shogun clearly won that fight was the reason for the immediate rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

gimmick wrote: »
    Because Shogun clearly won that fight was the reason for the immediate rematch.

I don't think Shogun "clearly" won that fight

p to the e wrote: »
    I wonder if Demarques Johnson will be cut after Saturday. He hasn't had a good run as of late. The same could possibly be said of Duane Ludwig. Once again John Hathaway proves he's a serious force to be reckoned with in the WW division. A possibility for Gunni next maybe?
    Don't think he will be cut, he has done the ufc a few favours taking short notice fights. Hathaway didn't impress me, when the hell has he finished anyone?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

adamski8 wrote: »
    Don't think he will be cut, he has done the ufc a few favours taking short notice fights. Hathaway didn't impress me, when the hell has he finished anyone?????

I was actually impressed with Hathaway, the guy is a beast and he is young and is winning fights, he was battered by Mike Pyle but has plenty of time to get back up the ladder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think Hathaway is a big prospect and has some fantastic wrestling mixed with superior strength. Tom Egan was very unfortunate to get him at UFC 93. He does need to work on his self promotion though. He comes across as a quiet and well mannered lad and hopefully this won't hinder him.

I think Hathaway is a big prospect and has some fantastic wrestling mixed with superior strength. Tom Egan was very unfortunate to get him at UFC 93. He does need to work on his self promotion though. He comes across as a quiet and well mannered lad and hopefully this won't hinder him.

yeah that about sums him up alright, I guess he can continue to jon fitch his way to the top. he aint gonna win many fans though, especially as pointed out that he seems to have zero personality.

Anybody have any idea why Gunnar was so subdued/quiet in his post fight interview? Is that his normal style? Thought he'd be delighted with such a convincing win in his first UFC outing but he just seemed......i dunno.....meh??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anybody have any idea why Gunnar was so subdued/quiet in his post fight interview? Is that his normal style? Thought he'd be delighted with such a convincing win in his first UFC outing but he just seemed......i dunno.....meh??
    That's just him really.

That's just him really.

Thought so. I met him a few times in town before and after and he just seems like a quiet guy. He's no Chael Sonnen for sure.

Thought so. I met him a few times in town before and after and he just seems like a quiet guy. He's no Chael Sonnen for sure.

Thank fcuk for that, As much as i love the guy (in a non gay way) 1 Chael is enough for this planet

Thank fcuk for that, As much as i love the guy (in a non gay way) 1 Chael is enough for this planet

Wow, dude, let's not say things in haste we might regret later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

yeah that about sums him up alright, I guess he can continue to jon fitch his way to the top. he aint gonna win many fans though, especially as pointed out that he seems to have zero personality.

It doesn't sum him up though.... It only sums up what you don't like about him. I'm not sure what advice you would give him to get more fans... Maybe a few oi oi's to the crowd or kiss a few babies but for me I'm entertained by his skills and that's why I go to events (I've seen him fight live four times now) or watch MMA. If I want to be entertained in the way I believe you see entertainment I'll watch Mick Jagger or something ....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dylandub

Gunnar is amazing! First time watching him fight! Heard alot of about him and he lived up to the hype. Wish I went over, the whole event seemed great :( oh well maybe next time...

It doesn't sum him up though.... It only sums up what you don't like about him. I'm not sure what advice you would give him to get more fans... Maybe a few oi oi's to the crowd or kiss a few babies but for me I'm entertained by his skills and that's why I go to events (I've seen him fight live four times now) or watch MMA. If I want to be entertained in the way I believe you see entertainment I'll watch Mick Jagger or something ....:confused:
    You have me all wrong, I don't hate him for those things and also I don't hate him!

All im saying is that if I know hathaway is on the card I know 90%+ that im going to see him do enough to win on decision. Would be nice if he showed me some stand up or ground game that actually tried to win a fight. Like it looks like he might have the ability but you know he is going to go out and just do a little more than the other guy.

I don't really care about what fans he has or personality. I usually skip interviews and such but like I say he isn't finishing or seem to have an interesting personality which is why I say he looks like fitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

First UFC ive been able to stay up for. Some good fights but was sickened as i had a lot on Ogle in a single. Compared to boxing judging UFC judging is at least 90% more consistent but just howwwwwww!!
    Production seemed done a bit on the cheap with the noticeable absence off frills like lack of clips of background interviews on upcoming fights etc. Big name presenters missing and things like just the one ring girl but shur it was live and at a reasonable hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Production seemed done a bit on the cheap with the noticeable absence off frills like lack of clips of background interviews on upcoming fights etc. Big name presenters missing and things like just the one ring girl but shur it was live and at a reasonable hour.

I assume due to the event not generating any PPV revenue, and Fuel probably having a hand in the production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I assume due to the event not generating any PPV revenue, and Fuel probably having a hand in the production.

I'm sure that probably explains it. But you would think UFC would want to project a high level of standard once its still their brand. Skimpage was very noticeable and all for a few extra dollars saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

RainMaker wrote: »
    Jim Brown back in the early UFCs was usually pretty pro-Gracie.

As seen as the UFC at the time was made to promote Gracie Jiu Jitsu then that was deliberately done.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cowzerp wrote: »
    As seen as the UFC at the time was made to promote Gracie Jiu Jitsu then that was deliberately done.
    Yeah I assumed it was deliberate too considering who the owner was.

Advertisement