Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much too soon ?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm wondering would it be too short of time at this stage to begin training specifically for the lost sheep triathlon or a half ironman around that time this year?

I'm fairly new to triathlons and have only done 5 sprints to date , my first was August last year 1;37;xx and have done 4 this year my latest one at crooked lake, a 1;19;18, I'm training at least 4-5 days a week and my cycling is the strongest with my swim being not great, although i have knocked 7.30 mins off it on a sprint distance over the winter :).

So my question is, is there enough time to get ready and to finish that sort of a race? Any tips for improving the swim would be appreciated too, although i think I already know the no.1 tip, practice, practice, practice. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

keelang wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm wondering would it be too short of time at this stage to begin training specifically for the lost sheep triathlon or a half ironman around that time this year?

I'm fairly new to triathlons and have only done 5 sprints to date , my first was August last year 1;37;xx and have done 4 this year my latest one at crooked lake, a 1;19;18, I'm training at least 4-5 days a week and my cycling is the strongest with my swim being not great, although i have knocked 7.30 mins off it on a sprint distance over the winter :).

So my question is, is there enough time to get ready and to finish that sort of a race? Any tips for improving the swim would be appreciated too, although i think I already know the no.1 tip, practice, practice, practice. ;)

I was in a similar position last year. Only took up the sport in January last year and wanted to aim for Iornman 70.3 in September. However I was lacking in confidence as I only had only done two sprint distances by the time the entry for the event was closing and decided not too enter. Unfortunately by the time September had come around I had done another two sprints and two olympic distance races as well and my fitness had dramatically improved meaning I felt more than capable of completing a half iorn distance (allbeit in no record time) but I was confident I would have gotten the distance. On the day of the event, I was devastated I didn't enter and had to stand on the sidelines in Salthill wallowing in self pity as I watched the athletes heading off on their bikes. It was not a nice experience. Needless to say I was one of the first to sign up this year when entry's opened so I won't be missing out again.

I would say go for it. Based on what you have said, and judging by your sprint distance times It sounds like you would be capable. that being said, you would need to concentrate more on achieving longer distances rather than achieving a PB on sprint distances races. There is prob others on here that are more qualified than me to offer you advice on how exactly to train towards a half iorn distance but I would say go for it if you want it. There is loads of time left to train for it, it's only June yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

keelang wrote: »

As long as you're not looking to break any records it's well doable as long as you can meet any cut off times. Get some open water swim sessions in (lost sheep swim can be tough), cycle some big hills in training and you'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

I was in a similar position last year. Only took up the sport in January last year and wanted to aim for Iornman 70.3 in September. However I was lacking in confidence as I only had only done two sprint distances by the time the entry for the event was closing and decided not too enter. Unfortunately by the time September had come around I had done another two sprints and two olympic distance races as well and my fitness had dramatically improved meaning I felt more than capable of completing a half iorn distance (allbeit in no record time) but I was confident I would have gotten the distance. On the day of the event, I was devastated I didn't enter and had to stand on the sidelines in Salthill wallowing in self pity as I watched the athletes heading off on their bikes. It was not a nice experience. Needless to say I was one of the first to sign up this year when entry's opened so I won't be missing out again.

I would say go for it. Based on what you have said, and judging by your sprint distance times It sounds like you would be capable. that being said, you would need to concentrate more on achieving longer distances rather than achieving a PB on sprint distances races. There is prob others on here that are more qualified than me to offer you advice on how exactly to train towards a half iorn distance but I would say go for it if you want it. There is loads of time left to train for it, it's only June yet.
    I am thinking the same way I would kick myself if I dont do one by the end of the year.
    As long as you're not looking to break any records it's well doable as long as you can meet any cut off times. Get some open water swim sessions in (lost sheep swim can be tough), cycle some big hills in training and you'll be alright.
    No plans on breaking records just yet!;), as far as open water goes i find it easier to get swims in, in the sea than I do in the pool, the joys of living in rural Donegal! Also hills are plentiful with Glengesh pass and many more ( all of which tortured the RAS boys on day 6 this year)only a stones throw from the house. By the way does any one know what the cutoff time is for the swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I would say go for it, but maybe invest in Don Finks book "Be Iron Fit".

By following one of his Ironman training programmes it will give you structure to your training and some helpful tips.

Advertisement