Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Powered By The Dole" stickers on cars

• 11-06-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I saw a young lad driving a car last week in Galway with a big sticker on the back window that said "Powered by the dole" He was only late teens I'd say and he was driving a civic. I just thought FFS that boy must have no pride/shame!

Fast forward to the weekend and two more boy racer cars drivers early 20's with the same stickers in the back windows in both Galway and Offaly. Is this a trend now? Are young lads actually proud to be wasters and want to shout it from the rooftops??? Or are they just rubbing it in our faces that we're paying for their suped-up saxos?!:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Jasus where can you get those stickers :eek: lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Must get one for my ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

magentas wrote: »
    Is this a trend now? Are young lads actually proud to be wasters and want to shout it from the rooftops??? Or are they just rubbing it in our faces that we're paying for their suped-up saxos?!:confused:

Maybe they're highlighting that the greed of your generation caused the current recession which resulted in them not able to find employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are young lads actually proud to be wasters and want to shout it from the rooftops???

The ones with no hope, who don't know any better way of life, who can't do any better, they can be proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The dole must be sponsoring them, free advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

have seen a good few of those stickers on cars around dublin over the past few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Maybe they're highlighting that the greed of your generation caused the current recession which resulted in them not able to find employment.
    Haha "my generation"! The last 2guys I saw WERE my generation:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

He must have one of those dole powered cars then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I saw a young lad driving a car last week in Galway with a big sticker on the back window that said "Powered by the dole" He was only late teens I'd say and he was driving a civic. I just thought FFS that boy must have no pride/shame!

Fast forward to the weekend and two more boy racer cars drivers early 20's with the same stickers in the back windows in both Galway and Offaly. Is this a trend now? Are young lads actually proud to be wasters and want to shout it from the rooftops??? Or are they just rubbing it in our faces that we're paying for their suped-up saxos?!:confused:
    Its called a joke.

And there is no shame in being on the dole either, only snobs look down on people on it, many are there through no fault of their own, made redundant etc, not to mention that there is massive youth unemployment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Bell Butter

Give validity to the "cut the dole campaign"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Haha "my generation"! The last 2guys I saw WERE my generation:p

Obviously my generation so :D

We really did party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm sure they're not too serious.

They might well be people on the dole but looking for work, and having a bit of laugh at their situation to lighten it.

They might even be working and having a "laugh."

Wait a second: was "Dole" capitalised? Because if so, the stickers might have been both truthful and uncontroversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Saw those and two that said powered by child benefit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

And there is no shame in being on the dole either, only snobs look down on people on it, many are there through no fault of their own, made redundant etc, not to mention that there is massive youth unemployment
    No, there's no shame in it but I certainly don't think it's something to be proud of and broadcast it all over your car!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If I thought for a split second that this was true, or I copped one of these stickers I'd be taking down registrations and shopping these fúck holes to the social welfare. If it was a joke and they're paying for their shít cars themselves, fair enough. But I wouldn't put it past some to be just that brazen.

Theres no shame on being on the dole if you genuinely need it, but to take pride in it, or to be 'okay' with it - I just see red with these sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Why would you stick that on our car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Should plaster those stickers on off-licences and GAA club bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Jester252 wrote: »
    Why would you stick that on our car

To troll people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

That doesn't make bragging about it OK. If some banker had 'Powered by your austerity' on the back of his windshield, he'd be run off the road. It's called humility.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't take these too seriously. Bumper stickers aren't often 100% truthful or serious, surprisingly.

Unless all those people really do own The Batmobile, and Jesus really is coming...

To troll people

Ya see, when government ministers see that shíte they'll be looking to cut the dole. I think there's a real possibility of that happening this year, especially now that Germany can step in and demand more draconian measures.

To troll people

Ya see, when government ministers see that shíte they'll be looking to cut the dole. I think there's a real possibility of that happening this year, especially now that Germany can step in and demand more draconian measures.

I'd be more worried about a government who makes decisions based on what's written on peoples bumper stickers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Abi wrote: »
    If I thought for a split second that this was true, or I copped one of these stickers I'd be taking down registrations and shopping these fúck holes to the social welfare.

Shopping them for..? Oh wait, owning cars? No, no... owning stickers, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I wouldn't take these too seriously. Bumper stickers aren't often 100% truthful or serious, surprisingly.

Unless all those people really do own The Batmobile, and Jesus really is coming...

Kind of sums up the attitude of some young people on the dole. A bit of a laugh and endless, 'free' money. Not to mention the great craic of hitting your late 20's with no work experience and 6-7 years doing nothing, and the endless employment possibilities this will enable them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

What's with all the dole threads these days :pac:

I'd be more worried about a government who makes decisions based on what's written on peoples bumper stickers

You have to admit two things here.

1) It would be worth checking out if the owner is a claimant, and if so - put them on a reduced payment. Actual claimants bearing these stickers should be on a fucking bus.

2) If it is a real claimant with this sticker on their car, they're scum.

token101 wrote: »
    Kind of sums up the attitude of some young people on the dole. A bit of a laugh and endless, 'free' money. Not to mention the great craic of hitting your late 20's with no work experience and 6-7 years doing nothing, and the endless employment possibilities this will enable them.

Or, people having a bit of a laugh. It's hard to know really unless we ask the drivers.
    Festy wrote: »
    What's with all the dole threads these days :pac:

People on the dole are bored and starting threads about the dole as they can't remember anything else.

That, or some people here like to get mad about the long-term unemployed.

Jesus, some people really need to lighten the **** up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Must get one for my horse.

fyp

maglite wrote: »
    fyp

I wish I had a horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Perhaps these lads can't read.Anyone ever think of that ? :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Jesus, some people really need to lighten the **** up.
    It's hard to lighten up when you see the "Deductions" column on your payslip these days :(

Kensington wrote: »
    It's hard to lighten up when you see the "Deductions" column on your payslip these days :(

And someone bragging about being on the dole is going to make a difference to this how...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

And someone bragging about being on the dole is going to make a difference to this how...?

Us workers are pissed off because we have to work while these people on the dole drive around laughing at us.

• Advertisement

I agree, but this Ireland and there's a bunch of cúnts drunk at the wheel so....

Well it won't help people "lighten up" as you, not even ten minutes ago, were suggesting we should all do!

Someones not getting the ride if they're post stalking me again. How sad.

Well it won't help people "lighten up" as you, not even ten minutes ago, were suggesting we should all do!

Nope, I said some, not all. My point is it doesn't change anybody's situation.

Well it won't help people "lighten up" as you, not ten minutes ago, were suggesting we should all do!

Try not caring about people on the dole unless you intend to actively campaign the government to reform the social welfare system. I work and I never think about people on the dole, so I don't get upset about them.

So yeah, I think "lighten up" is good advice.

• Advertisement

Wha???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

if you can buy and maintain a car on 100 quid a week then fair play, especially considering the price youngfellas have to pay for insurance!

Nope, I said some, not all.
    Well maybe these some people are people out working their backsides off and are pissed off about it?

On the other hand, maybe these some people are also on the dole, but in genuine need of it to keep basic food on the table, not burn money away in petrol and tyres in some ****ebox while also bragging about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

The stickers are getting the reaction that was intended.

Well maybe these some people are people out working their backsides off and are pissed off about it?

On the other hand, maybe these some people are also on the dole, but in genuine need of it to keep basic food on the table, not burn money away in petrol and tyres in some ****ebox while also bragging about it?

I agree, some people must be struggling, but you can't blame those who aren't. and even if you do, getting yourself worked up over it isn't going to make any difference to matters.

Well this thread has gone in a new tangent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭marshyc

if its powered by DOLE does that mean ??? it runs on little pots of fruit :Dimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmzHkjqah5ed-1gPfDEiYEyaQmJZC1dcAbCec_teDImE91LgSX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....make it public kniowledge and not be "ashamed" of being on the dole the sooner society in general will be motivated to get jobs going in this country.
    The powers that be rely on this "shame" to terrorise people into substandard low paying jobs or dole for a full weeks work which is on the go nowadays.

Because people seem to be ashamed to be on the dole the government can pay lip service to solving unemployment by offering substandard training schemes where real apprenticeships and training is needed.

Employers can offer derisory wages and salaries for long hours and more onerous lists of duties safe in the knowledge that the will get away with it. Large buyers and users of services can squeeze small businesses for greater cuts so the they eventually end up working for little or nothing.

Unlike their more compliant and obedient parents of my generation who are just waking up to the fact that compliance and obedience will not prevent you from losing your job, the young people seem to have more rebeliousness and lack of fear and may just scandalise society into doing something about unemployment.

Or they might fly off and get a job elsewhere and leave us to go to the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So we get the ride if we don't post stalk you? Must be well over half a million happy posters here then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

"Powered by no tax, no insurance and no NCT" would be a good one, just to see if the Guards call your bluff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement