Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leveling a garage floor for workshop

• 11-06-2012 8:48pm

Hi folks,

I've searched this forum and most of the threads on this subject are 5+ years old and dont exactly cover what I am looking for.

Basically I have a rather large garage (10m20cm x 4m70cm or 48 sq meters) that I plan on using as a woodwork workshop. Before I start filling it and kitting it out with work benches etc I want o sort out the floor. Its very unlevel with dips and slanting in certain areas.

After talking to a few folks I've been given 2 options
    Option 1 - Use a concrete planer and plane the floor
    Advantages - I can easily do this myself, not majorly expensive
    Disadvantages - While the floor may be smooth, I am unsure if this will make it perfectly level

Option 2 - Use a self-levelling compound to get the floor to level itself.
    Advantages - Perfectly level floor
    Disadvantages - Pricey, finicky and possiblility of cracking due to the depth of the compound in some areas

What I need to know is, will the concrete planer give me a perfectly level floor?

If not, how difficult & expensive is the self-leveling compound to use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Contrary to it's misnomer self levelling compound does not self-level, it needs to be spread out across the surface with a steel float, but it will be pretty good.
    Also your average compound is not intended as a final floor finish, you'll need to cover it with a more durable flooring such as tiles or plywood sheeting. Depending on your requirements you could to pump in an industrial grade floor screed instead.

Money is a concern here so pumping an industrial screed is not an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What about making a wooden floor out of battens and shuttering ply? Did it in mine, with insulation under...makes a day standing much more comfortable.

will that give me a level floor though? Wont the dips and peaks in the concrete floor come through to the ply flooring?

Also, how sturdy would this be? There'll be some heavy equipment going in there, not least of which an 8x6 wood work bench (about 200 pounds weight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Level it with compound then sheet it.
    200 pounds is just over 14stone (90kg), not excessive by any standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I started by putting a level frame around the wall (actually connected to the wall) and then making a strong grid, packing out where needed to keep level, insulated in between and sheeted with 3/4' ply. Stained the ply and have a great warm strong floor.
    It requires sweeping from time to time though! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I started by putting a level frame around the wall (actually connected to the wall) and then making a strong grid, packing out where needed to keep level, insulated in between and sheeted with 3/4' ply. Stained the ply and have a great warm strong floor.
    It requires sweeping from time to time though! :o

If you go with this method I would suggest putting a little construction adhesive on any shims or packing you use to prevent them working loose or coming out of place due to shrinkage. Ply makes a great floor, resilient and warm underfoot and no chipped blades if you drop a chisel or whatever.

Advertisement