Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRIPLE-BARRELLED shotgun from 1891

Options
  • 11-06-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭

By Eddie Wrenn (The Daily Mail)
    Even if we have never touched one, most of us will have seen a double-barrelled shotgun in a movie or two.
    From Night of the Living Dead to The Eagle Has Landed, the shotgun is always the final arbitrator of justice, whether against zombies, aliens, or Wild West villains.However, back 1891, one gun-manufacturer came up trumps - developing the world's only triple-barrelled shotgun, subsequently dubbed the 'Holy Grail' of the gun world.
    Now the gun - built by Edinburgh gun makers John Dickson & Son - has a new owner, having just been sold in London for £43,000
    ( Link )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Why Dave?

Now I feel the need to buy a triple barrel!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

FISMA wrote: »
    Now I feel the need to buy a triple barrel!
    :pac:

here

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

Lovely gun, But there's no way I could deal with 3 triggers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well not THAT unique!!
    How about a four barrell double barrell??O/U or SXS?? or ...FECK a pepperbox!!;):p
    The Dashed unsporting confounded American pump and semi auto put an end to such devices!:p:p:p

An intresting article on this and its 4barrelled brother from the 27th anniversy GunDigest of1973 by Rodger Barlow. Enjoy!!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

As the max files were uploaded ..The final 2 parts.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It wasn't much later that J M Browning designed his first semi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

John dickson still makes a lovely round action side by side , to me its one of the most attractive guns out there , i'll have to wait for a lottery win though before i can buy one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I know it's a movie - but THIS has it beat, at least, as far as the number of barrels goes -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyNqO6LAvQ

Enjoy!

tac

I think Reggie in Phantasm had a neater ,more compact concept of the UTU gun!:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkIgo4AnRdU.

But TBH it isnt a daft idea at all,Even Winchester was messing around with a 4 barrel shotgun in the 1950s[The Liberator project] as a counter insurency weapon.
    liberator2.jpg

Would have cost appx 20 dollars in 1950s/60 s money to make as it was mostly castings.It never took off,and there are only three prototypes in esistance.
    However the patents are out of dateand there is a possibility that in the future it might be reborn in a polymer design and frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

tac foley wrote: »
    I know it's a movie - but THIS has it beat, at least, as far as the number of barrels goes -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyNqO6LAvQ

Enjoy!

tac

Perfect medicine for outhouses and chicken coops harboring varmints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

It was presented in Holt’s sale as:
    “a fine and exceptionally rare 16-bore 1882 patent three-barrelled sidelever round-action ejector, serial no. 4415 with 28in. replacement side-by-side-by-side nitro barrels (by the makers), ribs engraved ‘JOHN DICKSON & SON. PATENT. 32, HANOVER STREET, EDINBURGH.’, 2 1/2in. chambers, bored approx. 1/2 choke (centre barrel, first trigger), 3/4 choke (right barrel, second trigger) and imp. cyl. (left barrel, third trigger), J. Dickson and A.G. Murray patent action, patent no. 873 of 23rd February 1882, use number 343, sidelever-opening, automatic safety with gold-inlaid ‘SAFE’ detail, gold-cocking-indicators, three triggers, the forward and centre trigger articulated, bowed triggerguard shaped at the rear to form a finger rest, fully engraved with fine acanthus scrollwork, ‘JOHN DICKSON & SON’ and ‘PATENT’ engraved within ribbon cartouches, retaining traces of original colour-hardening, 14 3/8in. highly-figured pistolgrip stock including buttplate, gold escutcheon engraved with the Clan Hope crest, with slight crack at hand and two small circular knot plugs, horn pistolgrip-cap, bolstered fore-end with horn finial and Deeley & Edge patent release catch, weight 7lb., in its fitted leather case with gold-tooled Dickson label.
    The makers have kindly confirmed that the gun was completed on April 18th 1891 for John Adrian Louis Hope. The records state the gun to be a ‘three barrelled patent ejector, 16-bore hammerless gun, pistol hand, No. 4415 (343) with 28in. damascus barrels. Designed by John Dickson the younger (gunmaker) and co-patented with Andrew Graham Murray (advocate), the first example was made for Mr Murray in 1882."
    It easily outdid the auction estimate of £25,000 – 30,000 selling for £43,000.

Loaded and ready for the grouse moor:

dsc3875j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Famars will build the Rombo for you and charge you accordingly. :D

http://www.famars.com/famars/famars-guns/-four-barrel-/famars-rombo.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

That'd be a restricted shotgun here:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    If it holds more than three it's a dangerous tactical assault shotgun not just a shotgun.:p

If it was the Lancaster four barrel or the UTU or the Phantasam model it would be restricted.Needs to be 4 shot plus to be restricted!:p

Advertisement