Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Éireann 'Speak'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

sunset wrote: »
    And what's "thundery rain" when there is no expectation of thunder?

Picture a person standing under a galvanised roof with the rain milling/teeming down, the noise can be so great that it sounds like thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

There's a widespread misunderstanding in Ireland about the meaning of 'showers', often confused with intermittent stratiform rain by the ordinary public, ie non boards weather forum regular contributors, while it really refers to precipitation from convective clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

From met.ie today..

Wednesday : A bright, fresh day with sunny spells. Passing heavy showers also scattered across the country. Still relatively cool with highs of just 14 to 17 degrees in moderate to fresh northwesterly winds. Good drying at times. On Wednesday evening a band of rain will move into the southwest from the Atlantic and spread countrywide overnight (typically 5 - 10mm).

Good drying? I'm genuinely confused as to what this means. Does it refer to drying of silage or is it simply good drying for hanging your clothes on the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Rougies wrote: »
    From met.ie today..

Wednesday : A bright, fresh day with sunny spells. Passing heavy showers also scattered across the country. Still relatively cool with highs of just 14 to 17 degrees in moderate to fresh northwesterly winds. Good drying at times. On Wednesday evening a band of rain will move into the southwest from the Atlantic and spread countrywide overnight (typically 5 - 10mm).

Good drying? I'm genuinely confused as to what this means. Does it refer to drying of silage or is it simply good drying for hanging your clothes on the line?

All of the above. The combination of relatively low humidity and fresh winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

That's two nights in a row now that Siobhan Ryan (RTE 9pm News bulletin) has described the island to the East of us as 'The UK'.

The heavy rain will be moving eastwards towards the UK :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

LordSutch wrote: »
    That's two nights in a row now that Siobhan Ryan (RTE 9pm News bulletin) has described the island to the East of us as 'The UK'.

but isn't it the UK...??? :confused: Fair enough if you are being pedantic about the absolute correct political term for the island east of us but a forecaster on a TV broadcast such as the one you refer too is doing her best to relay as much information as possible in the scant 2 mins that she has been assigned to do this.

For what it is worth, the BBC weather forecasters also call the UK the 'UK'.

If the rain moves eastwards from us, it moves to Britain . . .

Britain is the geological & geographical name for the large neighbouring island. The UK on the other hand is a political construct which includes part of this island too! so if the rain moves eastwards from Ireland it will hit Britain.

No pedantry intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Britain is the geological name for the large neighbouring island. The UK on the other hand is a political construct which includes part of this island too! so if the rain moves eastwards from Ireland it will hit Britain.

No pedantry intended.

Maybe she meant moving east from Donegal...

Either way you're a muppet... Everyone in Ireland refers to Great Britain as... The UK. Northern Ireland is little more than an overseas territory in the eyes of most British people.

Britain is the geological name for the large neighbouring island. The UK on the other hand is a political construct which includes part of this island too! so if the rain moves eastwards from Ireland it will hit Britain.

No pedantry intended.

True, but since the UK part of Ireland is in central & east Ulster, any rain moving in from the west will hit the Republic first, then move east into that part of Ireland that is in the political UK, which would make her technically correct! :D

I only mentioned it because Siobhan stood out with her UK description of Britain as the UK (which is a different construct).

Goodbye and goodnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I find it funny when the girl says the temperatures will be 'coming in' at 15 degrees. That sort of lingo would be more commonly used in horse racing when referring to the odds the winner came in at. Maybe it's me but I find it funny and it's just the youngish girl who says it.

I find it funny when the girl says the temperatures will be 'coming in' at 15 degrees. That sort of lingo would be more commonly used in horse racing when referring to the odds the winner came in at.

Another term that is unique to Siobhan Ryan is 'cloudy outbreaks of rain' which I think sums up nicely a typical wet day in Ireland in 4 words.

I think the strangest one of all is when some BBC forecasters call heavy showers 'beefy showers'. They should go the whole hog and call light showers 'lettuce showers'. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just to be pedantic, the island next to us is Great Britain, consisting England, Wales and Scotland. The term Brtian refers to England and Wales.

BTW, leave Siobhan alone!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The term Britian refers to England and Wales.

Interesting, I always thought Britain was the name of the whole island.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Became Great Britain with Act of Union with Scotland, and then, United Kingdom with Act of Union with Ireland.

Pretty much why in Olympics, etc., you have 'Team Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

Advertisement