Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The oldest book you own?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 9:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I had to buy a 2nd hand paperback off eBay which I received today, because I couldn't find it new on any of the usual sites. Turns out in was published in 1971, which probably isn't that old really but I was kind of taken aback when I read it. I couldn't help but think of how many book shelves it's sat on, how many people have read it before me over the previous 40 years. It was quite an incredible feeling I must say!

Oh, and the UK price of the book at the time was 40p. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've got a book about the Jewish communities in Britain from 1937.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Three books of Shakespeares publications .. 1934 .

Paid the princely sum of 1 euro 50 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Lord of the Rings from 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Grandfather died a few years back and when we were clearing out his house I found a book "History of Ireland" published in the 1880's.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I have a page from the Nuremberg Chronicle. Printed in 1493 it's a world history based on the best information available at the time, mostly the Bible(!). It was actually printed 5 years before Columbus 'discovered' America which I think is mindblowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I've got a copy of Black Beauty from 1959. I found it when I was a kid in my grandparents attic and I still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Have at least one from the 1870s/1880s that I know of. So many old, old books lying around my house though, but more especially at my granny's house, a lot of which would be from the late 1800s, so god knows what I might find if I went looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I've quite a few books from around the turn of the last century, but the two that mean the most to me are my Readers Digest Atlas (1962) and my later edition of Mrs Beetons Book of Household Management (1912).

Both fascinate me by adeptly illustrating how much the world has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Enid Blyton-Tales at Bedtime from 1966-I remembered some of the stories from when I was a child,so bought it for my own children a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

A book of maps of Ireland from 1820.
    My father collects rare books and goes off to auctions in Dublin and even abroad to get them. He has ones that go back to the 1600's. Very valuable.

• Advertisement

I picked up a copy of Paradise Lost from 1841 for a grand total of 50c!!! It's absolutely beautiful, totally intact but with a definite used/loved look, and three different messages inside the front cover, the first dated 1842. My favourite book by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

hooplah wrote: »
    I have a page from the Nuremberg Chronicle. Printed in 1493 it's a world history based on the best information available at the time, mostly the Bible(!). It was actually printed 5 years before Columbus 'discovered' America which I think is mindblowing.
    if its any way possible could you get a high quality scan or photograph of it? I'd love to read that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I think the oldest is a weird Mark Twain book, Adam's Diary, from 1904.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    if its any way possible could you get a high quality scan or photograph of it? I'd love to read that!

It's available online but you won't get much out of it if you don't read Latin or German.

The wikipedia page is great
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Chronicle

There's more info here:
    http://www.lib.umd.edu/RARE/Exhibits/Nuremberg/

and you can see an online copy here:
    http://www.wdl.org/en/item/4108/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Whoever it was that said about Enid Blyton books, I got a few of them, I have a first edition of the first famous five book from the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

My Dad has some British military manuals from the mid 19th century, the most interesting one of which is a cavalry manual that deals with obsolete riding practices like riding in formations and even training a horse to play dead. Most of the other books are concerned with regimental uniforms and dress codes, a topic which appears to have been a matter of greater concern to the British army than any ethical questions regarding their activities!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Can't remember what the oldest book I own is, but I recently bought The Penguin Dictionary of Computer Terminology published in 1973 I think. I got it more as a curiosity, it's funny the terms defined in it that have passed into obsolescence decades ago at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Blue Bitch

I have a book named

5899779.jpg Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    The oldest book i own

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

1938 British library copy of Mein Kampf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Gneez wrote: »
    1938 British library copy of Mein Kampf.
    Cool. in English or German?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

"The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin. It was printed in 1902. I found it a few months ago on my dad's bookshelf. He thinks he bought it 15 years ago from some shop for about a 5er. I think he used it for a thesis that he was writing at the time.

It's still in very good condition so I doubt that it was used all that much over the last 110 years.

I'm not sure if I've any interest in reading it yet. I might just keep it for another while and I may read it in the end. If not then I could always sell it on.

There's a person on this site selling the exact same copy for £200. If I'm ever stuck for a few bob I could sell it on. I'm gutted that it's not a hardback copy. If it was then going by this site I could get around £400 for it.

d7nPfl.jpg

gqMhbl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

My oldest book is from 1853.

The collected speeches of Henry Grattan, amazing book! Very inspirational, even if he does waffle a lot.

It's not copyright also, I believe the copyright has run out, maybe someone will put together a modern revision.

Ps. It's in terrible condition. I bought it in the Oxfam bookshop, Dublin, for 20 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I have a 1950s print of Dracula. My brother found it left behind in a house he moved into and gave it to me to read when I was a teenager. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I have a blue leather-bound edition of David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. Not sure when it was published but there is a note inside dated 1901.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I have an English dictionary from the 1940's, but that probably doesn't count?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

I have a book call the bible,it is very very old and full of great storys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Red Hand wrote: »
    I have an English dictionary from the 1940's, but that probably doesn't count?
    If it has an entry for poppycock, you can have my allocation of internets for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

If it has an entry for poppycock, you can have my allocation of internets for the month.

I'd have to check...I don't having the dashed rummy thing with me.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The most interesting thing I've found - though this is in my parents' house - is a cobwebby old copy of Time Magazine. It's the Man of the Year edition, and the MOTY named is Joseph Stalin!

I think I have a couple of 19th century books lying around somewhere, though I'm damned if I can remember what. I suppose this is what comes of doing a lot of book shopping in second-hand stores...

I'm fairly certain that when I was a kid I read some very old copies of Dickens, and the first book I ever fell in love with, which I used to read under the desk in senior infants, was an early 20th century copy of Pinnocchio, which I think had been passed down in my family for a generation or two.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The most interesting thing I've found - though this is in my parents' house - is a cobwebby old copy of Time Magazine. It's the Man of the Year edition, and the MOTY named is Joseph Stalin!

I think I have a couple of 19th century books lying around somewhere, though I'm damned if I can remember what. I suppose this is what comes of doing a lot of book shopping in second-hand stores...

I'm fairly certain that when I was a kid I read some very old copies of Dickens, and the first book I ever fell in love with, which I used to read under the desk in senior infants, was an early 20th century copy of Pinnocchio, which I think had been passed down in my family for a generation or two.
    Stalin!?! pfft....

Get yourself the 1938 MOTY.

jn4f408da4.jpg

Advertisement