Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom build specs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Eman_321 wrote: »
    http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120330221040AAu8gt8
    The guy appears to know what he is talking about. If you know what he is on about what cooler should I get?

He's a tool. The fans are great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Looks grand, here's your build laid out nicer (and with a few tweaks)

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€38.75
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.19
    Powercolor HD6870 1024MB Dual-DVI/HD1M2I5|€139.94
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€18.89
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.79
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.23
    TP-Link TL-PA211 Starter Kit|€31.42
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€214.42
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€69.27
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s|€63.02
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€760.91

Look ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

Eboggles wrote: »
    Looks grand, here's your build laid out nicer (and with a few tweaks)

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€38.75
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.19
    Powercolor HD6870 1024MB Dual-DVI/HD1M2I5|€139.94
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€18.89
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.79
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.23
    TP-Link TL-PA211 Starter Kit|€31.42
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€214.42
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€69.27
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s|€63.02
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€760.91
    Look ok?
    How did you do that? Noob speaking.
    Thanks that's fine.

EDIT:

Lol I just realized your formatting has Powercolor, it isn't part of the original list is Powercolor good?

• Advertisement

Complaint from a guy on youtube.
    I've never heard of PowerColor until I started researching stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzscmXaVssk#
    Look at the comment by gunshin

Eman_321 wrote: »
    Complaint from a guy on youtube.
    I've never heard of PowerColor until I started researching stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzscmXaVssk#
    Look at the comment by gunshin
    Can't base a product on one comment (on Youtube no less).

Can't base a product on one comment (on Youtube no less).
    Ha ha fair point.
    The last question remains.
    64bit or 32bit Win 8 on the system. Installing might not use much of the power so maybe I should get a 64bit installed on it?
    I know there is a site for students to get a free OS, just can't remember what it is...

Windows 7, not 8 ;)

And get 64-bit.

As for free OS, a few options: Linux, always free. Windows from softwareforstudents, €55. Windows from Dreamspark, free (not an option for all college students, usually those in computing degrees).

Windows 7, not 8 ;)

And get 64-bit.

As for free OS, a few options: Linux, always free. Windows from softwareforstudents, €55. Windows from Dreamspark, free (not an option for all college students, usually those in computing degrees).
    Well I could get the beta version (although probably unwise) ;)
    I think they removed DIT so big bummer for me. There is always TPB anyways.
    Why did Eboggles put the shipping down as 18eur - is than an error?
    Shipping cost is 5eur total as Hardwareversand claims, boils down to 741 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Eboggles wrote: »

Don't get homeplugs on hardwareversand; the pins will be different. I know you could get adapters or just use a screwdriver to push in the earth plug but it's just as easy to get a proper pair for here/UK.
    The price on amazon.co.uk is a few cents cheaper than dabs for them.

Edit: If you really don't want to pay for windows and you're a student, the best thing to do is to download windows server from dreamspark. You can customise this as windows 7 then with a little work. Dreamspark is free for all students AFAIK.

Edit 2: Yes, you can put in DIT. You might have to scan in a student card and email it to Microsoft for them to sort it out.

Monotype wrote: »
    Don't get homeplugs on hardwareversand; the pins will be different. I know you could get adapters or just use a screwdriver to push in the earth plug but it's just as easy to get a proper pair for here/UK.

Edit: If you really don't want to pay for windows and you're a student, the best thing to do is to download windows server from dreamspark. You can customise this as windows 7 then with a little work. Dreamspark is free for all students AFAIK.

Edit 2: Yes, you can put in DIT. You might have to scan in a student card and email it to Microsoft for them to sort it out.
    I thought Amazon doesn't ship electronics here in Ireland?
    Last time I went on Dreamspark I couldn't find DIT on the list. I will try again later.

Well if it is free for all students, Windows 7 Pro is there.

Windows 7 isn't free for all students - only if your university/department has signed up.

Yeah I was able to sign it.
    Just need to browse around a little to find Win 7.
    Thanks for the help guys, can't wait to get this now.

How is this system in comparison to XPS?

Windows 7 isn't free for all students - only if your university/department has signed up.

Yeah looked into it a bit more and for me it's only DCU's School of Computing that's registered, as opposed to DCU itself. Sucks to be anyone else :pac:

Hey guys ordered the parts :)
    For the TP link, does it come with cables or do I have to get them separately?

Amazon.co.uk ship most stuff here as long as you order from amazon.co.uk themselves and not one of their third party sellers- and as long as it's not something huge or compressed air.

Not sure if you get a cable...

Edit: One of the amazon reviews mentions cables supplied.
    Edit 2: Several reviews mention cables.

Amazon.co.uk ship most stuff here as long as you order from amazon.co.uk themselves and not one of their third party sellers- and as long as it's not something huge or compressed air.

Not sure if you get a cable...

Edit: One of the amazon reviews mentions cables supplied.
    Edit 2: Several reviews mention cables.

Yeah I saw them which is good. "this item is frequently bought with.." is misleading ha.
    I can't find Windows 7 among the list of apps offered by Dreamspark. I guess it isn't free for all.
    I'm worried about the order. The mainboard won't be ready till next week, but they are saying that the order will be void if I don't receive a confirmation or delivery in 2 weeks. If everything will be dispatched on Wednesday next week would it arrive in time before it is void?

They just mean that they want their money within two weeks.

You can get windows server 2008 RC2 from dreamspark and convert it. Instructions are in the windows guide in my signature.

• Advertisement

You can get windows server 2008 RC2 from dreamspark and convert it. Instructions are in the windows guide in my signature.
    That's sound, can't wait now.
    Yeah might as well if the other site doesn't work. Thanks dude!

I found it on another dreamspark premium section. Weird separation.

It's probably a bit late, but I remember your previous post
    "450 is loads even if you get a 7750 or 7770" - is 450 still room for expansion with the graphics card 6870? It consumes 43 watts

450W is plenty for a 6870 + overclocking.

6870 peaks at 128W. Maximum is 169W (max is derived from unrealistic stress testing but it's good to see what the potential ceiling is).

The rest of your system is unlikely to go above 200W even with a substantial overclock.

450W is plenty for a 6870 + overclocking.

6870 peaks at 128W. Maximum is 169W (max is derived from unrealistic stress testing but it's good to see what the potential ceiling is).

The rest of your system is unlikely to go above 200W even with a substantial overclock.

Thanks man, that's good to know. But I have to admit it leaves little room for upgrade.. mmn I wonder what the PSU watts for my current desktop is.

Another question if you don't mind.
    I live in a terraced house, I am wondering if the Homeplugs will suck in that. I am guessing the distance between the socket router and my room socket can affect packet delivery. I want to reduce lags if I can.
    I am separated by 2 set of stairs, if that helps to judge efficiency.
    And seriously do we not have any decent electronic shops in Ireland, hardware is so dear...

Also, should I get 85mbps as opposed to 200mbps - isn't a transfer rate of > 100mbps theoretical?

Yeah, they do degrade a bit with distance, but so will wireless.

Don't get the 85Mbps ones. I read that it's actually 100Mbps each way which makes up the 200.
    100Mbps is certainly not theoretical! My internet speed is 100Mbps and if you're connecting computers on the network, you could easily use much higher speeds than that. I would suggest to pick up the 500Mbps ones but they've gone up in price. Remember this is bits, not bytes.

Yeah, they do degrade a bit with distance, but so will wireless.

Don't get the 85Mbps ones. I read that it's actually 100Mbps each way which makes up the 200.
    100Mbps is certainly not theoretical! My internet speed is 100Mbps and if you're connecting computers on the network, you could easily use much higher speeds than that. I would suggest to pick up the 500Mbps ones but they've gone up in price. Remember this is bits, not bytes.

How about http://www.harveynorman.ie/belkin-surf-usb-wifi-adapter.html
    300mbps, but I am sure that anything over 200 is purely theoretical.

The speeds on wireless are usually a bit more 'theoretical' alright. Most routers around probably still only give wireless g which is 54Mbps at best. Going across distances, that will go way down. It depends on what your needs are. If it's just a few webpages here and there, it's good enough but it's a sorry solution if you were to run any games or looking for consistent download speeds.

The speeds on wireless are usually a bit more 'theoretical' alright. Most routers around probably still only give wireless g which is 54Mbps at best. Going across distances, that will go way down. It depends on what your needs are. If it's just a few webpages here and there, it's good enough but it's a sorry solution if you were to run any games or looking for consistent download speeds.
    That's good enough for me, will stick with the Homeplug. I will see if I can get the 500mbps on Ebay ha ha

EDIT:
    Imagine my shock: It is dear on Ebay in comparison to dabs. Weird..

• Advertisement

So HardwareVersand dispatched the parts today - I am surprised, I thought it would be next week considering they don't have the ASRock mainboard.
    They sent it in two packages. Is there a way to check what are the contents of the packages? I am curious to see if the mainboard is dispatched as well.

Advertisement