Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

video playing glitchy

Options
  • 11-06-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Playing video on xbox video player. Navigate over wifi to share on my computer upstairs, video starts playing but immediately is stop-starty. thats browsing over folder, same over tversity (which I highly recommend)

But its only 1 particular video, all others play ok.

I have another media player beside the xbox and it plays that video fine. codec of some sort that xbox is missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Playing video on xbox video player. Navigate over wifi to share on my computer upstairs, video starts playing but immediately is stop-starty. thats browsing over folder, same over tversity (which I highly recommend)

But its only 1 particular video, all others play ok.

I have another media player beside the xbox and it plays that video fine. codec of some sort that xbox is missing?
    Its probably just the fact its streaming over wifi (wifi kinda sucks for streaming) and this specific file might be a bit more demanding in a data transfer fashion (higher quality audio or video)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I kind of thought that as well at first but the other media player beside the xbox plays it ok so it contradicts that theory. bit rate on the sketchy one is same as others. been playing vids for years over wifi with same router without a problem. nearly sure I seen this sometime last year with another vid. must be format but cant see what. meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Chances are it's a codec that isn't natively supported by the Xbox and that's why it isn't streaming smoothly. Or the bit rate is just too high for it to handle...

Install Shark's codec pack (if you have an x64 OS, then also install the x64 add-on) on to your PC and use Windows Media Centre to stream your media to your console.

TVersity is also very good but can't really handle .mkv's, 5.1 surround sound, substitles and and certain other large file types.

I generally use WMC all the time now and only use TVersity as a last resort option.

I have it all connected up through homeplugs/lan cables so there's multiple rooms around the house with consoles that can stream media. Works great.

I try to avoid files larger than 2.8 gigs as I generally encounter problems with files larger than that.

However, I plan on purchasing a Western Digital Live media streaming device in the next few weeks. Supposedly, they are awesome at streaming just about any file type or size.

Advertisement