Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a landlord accept half rent?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Say I wanted to move into a two bed apartment. If I could pay my share of the rent as a new tenant, would landlords in general let me take up a lease while he finds a second tenant? Or would they hold out for 2 people who could move in at the same time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Some places are let on a room by room basis. However its far more common to have it let as a unit, with just one person on the lease.

I think you may have difficulty getting a landlord to agree to this, its much more of a headache to deal with 2 leasees than 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It depends on how long the place has been empty and how desperate the landlord is to get some money in for it, but in general Id say you would have very little chance of getting a landlord to agree to this. No harm in asking though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

He will if he is a fcuking idiot ;-D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

cgarrad wrote: »
    He will if he is a fcuking idiot ;-D

Not necessarily. If the place has been empty for a while then at least asking the question might make the landlord consider the option of renting the two rooms seperately, which they might not have thought of before. I have no idea how common that would be, especially in an apartment, and I have no idea how many landlords would be open to the idea, but like I said there is no harm in asking the question at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'd never do this. I'd just drop the rent 20% and readvertise. Room based tenants are a pain in the hoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If he was going to rent by room he would ask for E150 per room per week instead of E1000 per month for the unit probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've always wondered this,

I rent a 2 bed flat with my friend, the rent comes out of my account to the landlord, both our names are on the lease, not just mine.

What would happen if my friend just didn't pay me, would I personally be liable for the whole rent as it comes out of my account? (but theres 2 names on the lease?)

I think that if your name is on the lease you are liable for all that you signed up to. You should ask for a separate lease but the LL may not give that to you. When I was sharing a house at college we were told that we all had to sign the same lease and if someone moved out we were liable for his share or we all had to move out together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've always wondered this,

I rent a 2 bed flat with my friend, the rent comes out of my account to the landlord, both our names are on the lease, not just mine.

What would happen if my friend just didn't pay me, would I personally be liable for the whole rent as it comes out of my account? (but theres 2 names on the lease?)

When two or more people sign the same lease, it is a case of them all being "jointly and severally liable". That is the landlord can look for any debts from any one individual or all of those who signed the lease.
    Some places are let on a room by room basis. However its far more common to have it let as a unit, with just one person on the lease.

I think you may have difficulty getting a landlord to agree to this, its much more of a headache to deal with 2 leasees than 1.
    Some landlords prefer to rent room by room, three main reasons are:
    1. They do not have to register the tenancy with the PRTB.
    2. They are allowed to enter all common areas at will - no notice required.
    3. They can usually get more per room than by renting the property as a unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

zeroplay wrote: »
    Say I wanted to move into a two bed apartment. If I could pay my share of the rent as a new tenant, would landlords in general let me take up a lease while he finds a second tenant? Or would they hold out for 2 people who could move in at the same time?

The chances of the landlord agreeing to this would be between slim and none.
    Too much hassle having to deal with two tenants seperatly. Also why would you wanted to be landed with someone picked by the landlord, they could be a complete nightmare to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zeroplay

Some interesting points in this thread. I never thought that a landlord would prefer to have a place vacant with no income coming in as opposed to getting several hundred euro from one tenant. I'll be sure to ask anyway.
    The reason I brought it up is because apartments with 2 beds tend to be nicer than one beds but obviously I cant afford the entirety of the rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

zeroplay wrote: »
    Some interesting points in this thread. I never thought that a landlord would prefer to have a place vacant with no income coming in as opposed to getting several hundred euro from one tenant. I'll be sure to ask anyway.
    The reason I brought it up is because apartments with 2 beds tend to be nicer than one beds but obviously I cant afford the entirety of the rent.

The only way this would interest a landlord is if they place was vacant for
    a very long time and they are seriously struggling to get someone in.

But there would be a reason they were finding it so hard, any half decent apt would not have this problem.

An option would be to rent the whole place yourself and then sublet one
    of the rooms. Or there a option on the daft website to teamup with people
    to rent an apt.

Advertisement