Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepper/chilli plants flowering looking for advice

• 12-06-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

I have decided to grow a variety of peppers and chillis this year, its my first project really , i have an conservatory so they get plenty of light/heat.

They were planted from seed at the end of feb and i now have 12 plants of different varieties :D

Heres where i need advice, some have grown nice and tall at this stage, i repotted them all as they grew and they are strong healty looking plants.

The tallest are 2 feet tall the shortest 1 foot.

The tallest are now beginning to flower which im fine with as they seem ready for it, however the shortest look like they might flower next week or two.

Im not looking to produce big yields or anything but want nice healthy plants, i have been reading that if you leave the small ones flowers and they fruit the plant may never grow as tall as the others ??

Should i prune these flowers off on the shorter plants and give them a extra few weeks to gain some height ? or leave well alone ?

Also would anybody be familiar with the availability of organic liquid fertilizers in woodies etc??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Some people say to nip out the growing point to bush the plant out and get a higher yield. But it depends on the variety. Sorry i cant be too much help as it's my first year too. I am just leaving mine to grow on and see what happens. As you have tall and short, why not leave them be and learn from this season? Maybe someone else can advise ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

It will depend on the variety. My suggestion is you look on youtube. There are many american channels there about gardening and they have a wide variety of different types of chillies. You sound to be doing great, I've never had them flower before end July. I'd give them a good tomato feed or else compost tea. I use comfrey and nettles for my tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Some Chilli varieties don't grow too tall so expect to see a variation in height between varieties. I think the idea behind the pinching out of fruit is to cultivate large fruit, kind of like how the Asians do top fruit. Personally I never bother with the pinching out chillies/peppers as regular harvesting of the mature fruit will allow the smaller fruit to receive enough nutrients. A good tomato feed works but the main nutrient deficiency problem I ever had with Chillies/peppers was Blossom End Rot which upping the Calcium prevents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Some Chilli varieties don't grow too tall so expect to see a variation in height between varieties. I think the idea behind the pinching out of fruit is to cultivate large fruit, kind of like how the Asians do top fruit. Personally I never bother with the pinching out chillies/peppers as regular harvesting of the mature fruit will allow the smaller fruit to receive enough nutrients. A good tomato feed works but the main nutrient deficiency problem I ever had with Chillies/peppers was Blossom End Rot which upping the Calcium prevents.
    Thanks for that, as im not going for big yields i think i will leave most of my fruit to ripen to the red stage, I think im correct in saying this lessens yields?

But i do prefer the taste of the fully ripened red.

The plan is to tommorow go to garden center to source a feed, as i havent actually used any yet as they have been repotted to larger pots 3 times througout growth , and i read somewhere it may be false im not sure that if your doing the repotting theres no need to add extra feed if your repotting with good quality compost. And to start using the feed when the flowering kicks in to help give the plant a good boost from flowering to fruit.

I am also going to try and source some thing to add calcium.

The 3 varities are
    Worldbeater bell peppers
    Corno di torro rosso peppers
    Cayanne chilli peppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

On a similar note my chillies were planted around February too and are out-growing the cold frame in the garden and I was wondering if I could just expose them to the elements proper now and move the cold flame over to another patch? During the daytime I'm currently leaving the lid off and closing it at night.

My wife is making grumpy noises about the ones on our bedroom window sill too, they are starting to take over a little :D, so the situation is getting desperate, save the chillies!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell, I don't think they would do well in our climate. They really should be grown under cover (greenhouse/tunnel/conservatory or good window).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Thanks for that, as im not going for big yields i think i will leave most of my fruit to ripen to the red stage, I think im correct in saying this lessens yields?

But i do prefer the taste of the fully ripened red.

The plan is to tommorow go to garden center to source a feed, as i havent actually used any yet as they have been repotted to larger pots 3 times througout growth , and i read somewhere it may be false im not sure that if your doing the repotting theres no need to add extra feed if your repotting with good quality compost. And to start using the feed when the flowering kicks in to help give the plant a good boost from flowering to fruit.

I am also going to try and source some thing to add calcium.

The 3 varities are
    Worldbeater bell peppers
    Corno di torro rosso peppers
    Cayanne chilli peppers.

Corno di torro rosso peppers are a fantastic Red pepper for flavour, some of the supermarkets sell them as Romano peppers. I would always feed peppers because like tomatoes they are very nutrient hungry plants so unless you get the soil nutrients spot on your going to get deficiency with your plants or fruiting problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Hey guys,
    Growing some chillis too - first time growing anything.
    Could ye put up some pics of yer chillis?
    I'm growing from chillis I got in a garden in Portugal - they are quite tall/leggy and not like the chillis I see photos of elsewhere. TBH the plant they came off in Portugal looked the same as the ones I have so I don't think it's a light/heat issue.

To me it sounds like they are related to the Cayennes, I'd be interested in a picture - I'm guessing your Cayennes are the tallest and most advanced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I try pepper seeds every year but dont have much luck lately with them but got 3 aubergines growing this year. I generally let pepers and aubergines just do their thing and see what happens, but I never seem to get a long enough of a season for them so watch carefully and take fruit off the plant at the end of the summer when it starts to get cold and damp as they get mouldy quickly.

Did well with West indian gerkins for a while until I ran out of seed. Growing sweet corn in polyt in pots this year for the first time.

Organic liquid feed here both concentrate and ready to use (for indoors no smell):

http://www.doffgarden.co.uk/organic-range

My local garden center was able to order a case of this as they didnt have it stocked, so I took the case.

I also add liquid seaweed to the feed to boost the micro nutrients available to the plants, seems to make for healthier plants.

These are some pics of my various one, the two biggest were always ahead of the others, you can see some of the flowers on the bigger ones and i put in a close up, i have cross polinated the flowers with my finger and it seems to work.

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

• Advertisement

They look great!

redser7 wrote: »
    They look great!
    thanks i have nobody to compare it with, they have only got their first extra plant food today, up to now i just repotted with high quality compost as they grew.

Ya they look good. Mine are mad lanky yokes. Will throw up some pics tomorrow!

They dont look to leggy to me. Just start giving the ones with flowers tomato feed from now on, every week to ten days.

Yes, mine are a bit odd and leggy looking! I swear the mother plant, that I got the chilli's off, looked really spindly too - even in Algarve heat and sun.

7186040753_939c8e0b9f.jpg
    P1000181

7371270132_667e40d0d9.jpg
    P1000182

7371269914_f3ca58425f.jpg
    P1000183

7186039987_fd0a509129.jpg
    P1000184

7186041025_ab40d3053e.jpg
    P1000191

7186039695_5fc9937251.jpg
    P1000189

Couldn't resist eating one the other day - burn burn burn!
    It was pretty much full grown, but still green - will they mellow a bit as they grow to full size and ripen? Or will they get hotter?

Edit - habanero de Tesco there on the left of the first pic.
    The last pic - should I repot to bigger containers or should I leave them alone at this stage?

Well you're getting plenty of chillis, that's the main thing! They might be competing and stretching as they are so close together. Also, they might appreciate more direct sunlight if you can give it to them. I have mine in the ground in the tunnel but reading up about it, when people put them in pots they usually put them in 8 - 10 inch pots. So I'd say the'd like to be potted up. All depends how much room you have. Don't forget, they can be over-wintered and restarted next year for earlier and lrger crops :)

They get hotter the older they get. But heat (as in sunshine) is what really maskes them hot. If you are low on light, put some matt white paper around the base of the plant and also around the back (where the light source doesn't reach). This will reflect light up to the plant and help it grow/fruit ripen

Cheers redser!
    Not much more room but will foster some of them out maybe!
    West by southwest facing windows so not ideal, but on a good day sun from 12ish til 7ish.

Yes, was thinking 8-10inch pots rather than the 5inch they are in now. Will definitely have to foster some out when I go to bigger pots.
    I'll probably over winter a good few of them then just pick a smaller number of the strongest looking plants next year.

They get hotter the older they get. But heat (as in sunshine) is what really maskes them hot. If you are low on light, put some matt white paper around the base of the plant and also around the back (where the light source doesn't reach). This will reflect light up to the plant and help it grow/fruit ripen
    What chillis are you growing out of interest?
    Yes, I think I could DIY some matt white backing alright, thanks for the tip.

Just Jalapenos. Have a few chillis about an inch :) Started in Ferbruary and getting lots of sun in the tunnel. Not sure what i'm going to use them for to be honest but sure you have to grow them when you get a tunnel/greenhouse dont you :)

• Advertisement

does everyone use canes to support theirs ?
    I havent bothered but may stick one in if theres going to be a load of fruit hanging off it.

does everyone use canes to support theirs ?
    I havent bothered but may stick one in if theres going to be a load of fruit hanging off it.
    They had cheapy canes and wire in Tesco there last week. Mine would support themselves, (even though they look like they wouldn't) I only added the canes recently. Before I got the canes I bodged a few plants with tubes for holding bulk computer chips :pac: Mainly because on warm days I throw them outside for a bit of fresh air, but they wouldn't stand up to strong gusts of wind.
    A few of them needed straightening too.

Just Jalapenos. Have a few chillis about an inch :) Started in Ferbruary and getting lots of sun in the tunnel. Not sure what i'm going to use them for to be honest but sure you have to grow them when you get a tunnel/greenhouse dont you :)
    If you've a photo of them I'd interested to see!
    Ah you'd use the Jalapenos alright if you liked mexican food.
    I love BBQing a bit of chicken piri piri Portuguese style, been using Nandos sauces all along but hopefully I can make my own later in the summer...

Cheers. I reckon once they are pickable I'll look into ways to use them. Good thing about grow your own, doesnt stop at the growing :) Have a new found interest in cooking too.
    Will take a couple of pics if I ever remember to bring camera up to the plot, keep meaning to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Mine are in pots which i thought were quite deep enough but they seem to have stalled somehow..should i take them back inside? theyre outside and in pots, just curious as to why they've stalled..

When you say outside, do you mean in the elements? They need to be under cover (greenhouse/polytunnel/well lit conservatory or window.

david75 wrote: »
    Mine are in pots which i thought were quite deep enough but they seem to have stalled somehow..should i take them back inside? theyre outside and in pots, just curious as to why they've stalled..
    Well mine didnt grow too much this past week or so anyway, i think the weather and light are so poor most days. And mine are inside in a conservatory, so if yours are outside i cant see them doing well in this last weeks conditions.

They shouldn't be outside in this country at all really. Unless you're moving them in and out on really nice days.

Update:

Have decided to nip one or two of the flowers on the smaller plants, as i think its early in the summer yet and concentrating on another bit of plant growth would do them well.
    This is backed up by the fact i think the plants are on ther verge of their serious growth spurt where they gain serious height in the space of a few weeks. As one of the shorter plants has shot up a good few inches this week alone id imagine the others are goin to follow.

Anyone have any general idea of timescale from flower being pollinated to edible fruit ?

• Advertisement

I've had green chillis now for 3 weeks I think for some of the earliest.
    Depends on the type of chilli I suppose, and depends whether you want to know "how long to fully grown" or "how long to fully ripe". Is ripe the right word to use for chillis?
    Mine will turn red when they are fully mature/ripe but they are fine to use green I'd say. (seriously hot as is eeek!)
    Mine started showing a chilli 3-5 days after the flower wilted, and seemed to be final size within 3 weeks of the flower wilting.
    Unless we get an amazing july, I'd guess 6-8 weeks for red/orange or whatever in Ireland?

Advertisement