Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepper/chilli plants flowering looking for advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Hopefully they'll bounce back for you.
    I've been very sparing with the water lately, dreary humid conditions have given mushrooms a foothold in a few of my pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just to let you guys know , vermiculite and perlite is available in B&Q along with reduced peat compost John Innes no3

These will be used for all my growing next year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Latest picture of the office plant:

IMG_20120709_133953.jpg

I had to spray it to get rid of all the unwanted "tenants" and it appears to have done the trick.
    Some of the leaves are absolutely huge! They're half the size of my hand.

The main ghost plant at home now appears to be yielding larger chillies.
    Amazing what "starving" it of water for a few days will achieve.
    I've also started using the chilli feed.

Plant is looking good Heroditas

Have you eaten those chillis ? What would you actually use them in if they are so hot?

Im hoping to get this around christmas in preparation for jan/feb indoor growing.
    http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/shop/top-10-chilli-seeds-.html

More photo's of my odd chills. Filling out a small bit now but still tall and thin plants. There's another red one on it's way today. Might try some piri piri chicken at the weekend. :)

7581534706_2b505ffc7d.jpg
    IMAG0263

7581534862_7f456c705f.jpg
    IMAG0264

7581534106_91dd3024ba.jpg
    IMAG0267

• Advertisement

Plant is looking good Heroditas

Have you eaten those chillis ? What would you actually use them in if they are so hot?

Im hoping to get this around christmas in preparation for jan/feb indoor growing.
    http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/shop/top-10-chilli-seeds-.html

That kit looks very good!

I've eaten sauces made from those chillies. I like my spicy food extremely hot. I always order a Vindaloo or Phal when I'm having a curry - I find they're great for the system.
    Instead of having to lace a dish with 8 or 10 chillies, I only need to use one ghost chilli!

Added one my green chillis to a stirfry last night. Nice taste actually, bit of habanero kinda twang, with enough heat to give tingly lips for a short while after.

The chillis I put outside are not really progressing as much as the ones inside.
    Now, the ones I put outside were not my best plants so that may be the biggest factor. I had hoped extra sunlight would bring them on, but I think the lower temperatures outside may have negated the extra sun. The habanero is doing something at least, slowly though.

Latest addition to the garden is a tub of mint. Chillis and mojitos - best garden ever :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hope you didn't plant the mint amongst other plants :eek:

Once established, it will invade everywhere!! best grown in pots, tubs etc ;)

Hope you didn't plant the mint amongst other plants :eek:

Once established, it will invade everywhere!! best grown in pots, tubs etc ;)
    In its own tub, had been warned of its weed like tendencies alright!

Just a quick update, it looks more and more like the leaf wilt i was suffering was from overwatering in this humid weather.

I have developed a new technique with them and it seems to be working well with all my plants, i lift the pot to check its weight when its wet they are obviously much heavier than dry ,

so when the pot is light and dry, i then water it from the top with its feed included until water just starts to come out the bottom of the pot, its then left alone until the pot feels light and dry again.

Fingers crossed but the plant is definetly perking up and all its new growth doesnt seem to be affected by wilt.

• Advertisement

Sounds good, takes a bit of discipline to not water them too much but I think you're better to water them a day late than a day early.

Hybrid question!
    If you had an odd looking pepper would it be due to
    a) the seed you used to grow the plant
    or
    b) pollinating one plant from a different type of chilli?

As far as I know I only planted seeds from a Habenero chilli bought in tesco, and portuguese chillis picked in the Algarve.

I've one plant that I thought was a Habanero but it is producing longish chillis with a shape like a finger bent at the furthest knuckle?
    (It's also a strange looking plant, not like the other habeneros that came from the same chilli)

langdang wrote: »
    Hybrid question!
    If you had an odd looking pepper would it be due to
    a) the seed you used to grow the plant
    or
    b) pollinating one plant from a different type of chilli?

As far as I know I only planted seeds from a Habenero chilli bought in tesco, and portuguese chillis picked in the Algarve.

I've one plant that I thought was a Habanero but it is producing longish chillis with a shape like a finger bent at the furthest knuckle?
    (It's also a strange looking plant, not like the other habeneros that came from the same chilli)

As far as i know and im totally open to correction, the change would be from option A.

Lets say plant no.1 grows 100 % Cayanne Chillis , you polinate it from another type of chilli plant lets call it Plant no2 . The Fruit plant no1 produces will be Cayanne chillis and will be recognisable as them, however the seeds within that fruit are hybrid seeds and if you grown them you could end up with a strange combo.

Also remember odd looking fruit isnt always from a hybrid, people just arent acustomed to seeing odd shaped fruit as the producer picks it out before they hit the supermarket.

Cool, was just wondering, tis far from a habanero!
    Disappointing as my actual proper looking Habaneros don't look like producing this year at all at the current rate of sunny days.
    How are your plants getting on after your intervention?

Cool, was just wondering, tis far from a habanero!
    Disappointing as my actual proper looking Habaneros don't look like producing this year at all at the current rate of sunny days.
    How are your plants getting on after your intervention?
    Very well the first are starting to ripen to red now, i will post pics

Few pictures of my own plants.
    First up is the office plant which is really progressing nicely:

IMG_20120730_111448.jpg

Second is the main Naga plant. I reckon it needs to be re-potted at this stage. All the fertiliser seems to have been consumed and the soil is very sinewy.

IMG_20120801_211427.jpg

And finally some of the chillies on that plant. There's a few nasty little monsters starting to ripen on it:

IMG_20120801_211102.jpg

In other news, I have a glasshouse on order. That'll definitely sort out the problem of the weather next year. :D

Cayanne Chille plant with fruit almost ripe :D i already picked one or two green ones and there was a lovely kick off them .
    DSC00241-1.jpg

Close up of the fruit
    DSC00240-1.jpg

Worldbeater bell peppers
    DSC00243.jpg
    Corno di toro rosso peppers
    DSC00245.jpg
    Scotch bonnets i am hoping to overwinter, these are the first batch to get the perlite and vermiculite mixed through the compost to aid drainage and aeration. When they are planted up to bigger pots i will put a base of stones at the bottom of their pots.
    DSC00242.jpg
    General pic of bell peppers and corno di torro rosso
    DSC00244.jpg

General pic of cayanne and bell peppers
    DSC00241-1.jpg

Sampled a fully ripe baby chilli from the monster Naga plant this morning and nearly melted my whole face!
    Yikes, it's hot. :D

Heroditas wrote: »
    Sampled a fully ripe baby chilli from the monster Naga plant this morning and nearly melted my whole face!
    did you just take a bite or cook it into something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we have a chilli plant in the polytunnel, which is about a foot or foot and a half tall, and there are about four dozen chillis ranging in size from several mm to an inch long. is there any chance of getting usable chillis out of it; and if so, should we prune some of the chillis down to give it fewer to concentrate on?

• Advertisement

we have a chilli plant in the polytunnel, which is about a foot or foot and a half tall, and there are about four dozen chillis ranging in size from several mm to an inch long. is there any chance of getting usable chillis out of it; and if so, should we prune some of the chillis down to give it fewer to concentrate on?
    Well if there is chillis growing on it , then its just a matter of picking them when you want either the full grown green stage or waiting for them to ripen to red.

I would reccomend using a good chilli plant food .

Personally i wouldnt prune any as the plant seems to self regulate the size and amount it can cope with anyway and will naturally drop any it cant.

did you just take a bite or cook it into something.

Just took a bite out of it! :D

Just took a bite out of it! :D
    Yeah most chillis melt my face if i eat them that way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Some excellent reading there thanks to everyone for all the pic's some great looking chilli's, im looking to start growing chilli's and peppers after reading this thread is there any guides on what exactly is need to begin, best place to get seeds, when to plant them etc, ill be growing them in my conservatory , thanks in advance

glic83 wrote: »
    Some excellent reading there thanks to everyone for all the pic's some great looking chilli's, im looking to start growing chilli's and peppers after reading this thread is there any guides on what exactly is need to begin, best place to get seeds, when to plant them etc, ill be growing them in my conservatory , thanks in advance
    If i was starting again i would reccomend this place for seeds i will be getting some for next janruary but ones you get in woodies etc are fine just not as much variety. http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/

I sowed mine in early februrary, i sowed them shallow in little pots in the hot press it worked great, i didnt put them out in the conservatory until temps at night tended to stay in the postivies .

Plant them in small pots, ordinary seeding compost will do for that stage.

When repotting them into their own individual pots and onwards, i am going to reccomend geting the john innes based compost available in b&q and mixing it with perlite and vermiculite also available in B&Q and putting at the base of the pot a layer of medium stones .

Going on my experience:
    I had some seeds and seedlings in a heated propagator, some not.
    The ones in a heated propagator fared much better. It was pretty reasonable, less than 15 euro in B&Q.*

I started a little too early I think, it was late January and there wasn't really enough light for them once they got a few leaves going. I'd wait til late February next time myself.

Pots wise, I think I'd do things differently next time - I was causing my plants a lotta stress by being in pots that were too small and too quick to dry out. But, I can't remember off the top of my head what size pots I used first. I'll check it out. I've now gone the opposite extreme with big buckets of yokes - they do the job but not suited for window sills and they are ugly.

*Tip - the cheap propagators are only 8w. There doesn't appear to be any insulation in them - ie you'll be heating whatever you have the propagator on as much as you'll be heating the propagator. I put a phone book with some tin foil under it to keep more heat inside the propagator.

Going on my experience:
    I had some seeds and seedlings in a heated propagator, some not.
    The ones in a heated propagator fared much better. It was pretty reasonable, less than 15 euro in B&Q.*

I started a little too early I think, it was late January and there wasn't really enough light for them once they got a few leaves going. I'd wait til late February next time myself.

Pots wise, I think I'd do things differently next time - I was causing my plants a lotta stress by being in pots that were too small and too quick to dry out. But, I can't remember off the top of my head what size pots I used first. I'll check it out. I've now gone the opposite extreme with big buckets of yokes - they do the job but not suited for window sills and they are ugly.

*Tip - the cheap propagators are only 8w. There doesn't appear to be any insulation in them - ie you'll be heating whatever you have the propagator on as much as you'll be heating the propagator. I put a phone book with some tin foil under it to keep more heat inside the propagator.

Good point with the propogator i must remember to invest in one this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Sorry for cutting in on the thread but I have a question on peppers/chillis

I have some plants growing in the poly tunnel, I think from memory that they are cayenne, or they could be something with a man's name in them.

At the moment there are a a load of fruit on the plants, some 6 inch plus. All of them are green.

My questions are

Will they go red or do I pick them now?
    and
    any ideas what to do with them all?

I had planned on using them with tomatoes and making chutneys etc but my tomatoes haven't been a success this year.

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Sorry for cutting in on the thread but I have a question on peppers/chillis

I have some plants growing in the poly tunnel, I think from memory that they are cayenne, or they could be something with a man's name in them.

At the moment there are a a load of fruit on the plants, some 6 inch plus. All of them are green.

My questions are

Will they go red or do I pick them now?
    and
    any ideas what to do with them all?

I had planned on using them with tomatoes and making chutneys etc but my tomatoes haven't been a success this year.

You can pick them at any stage you want, they will turn red if you leave them, its personal preference really i prefer red.

Have a read of this its a good guide to different ways of preserving them, oven drying them would be an easy way in this climate.
    http://www.thechilliking.com/info/preserving-chillies/

• Advertisement

The recent bout of sunshine has done wonders for most of the chilli/peppers
    the cayanne plant even though i ate all the peppers is now growing more :D

heres some quick pics of the ripe worldbeater bell peppers and the corno di toro rosso peppers.
    WP_000001.jpg

WP_000002.jpg

WP_000003.jpg

Advertisement