Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepper/chilli plants flowering looking for advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'll try again. Latest photo of the Naga plant:

IMG_20121106_114426.jpg
    Still no chillis from it ? :(

Is that a heater under the plant ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

No, no chillies despite it still flowering like a mad thing. :(
    The vent underneath it is for the defunct central heating in the office block.

I'm not too worried. The other Naga plant was similar last year - loads of flowers and only one chilli. This year I got a good few off it. I just wonder if they need an awful lot of constant warmth similar to a tropical climate and whether the plant needs to mature.
    There's no pollen on the flowers at all.

It's become a source of conversation in the office, usually along the lines of "Jesus, the size of that bloody plant.....". :D

No, no chillies despite it still flowering like a mad thing. :(
    The vent underneath it is for the defunct central heating in the office block.

I'm not too worried. The other Naga plant was similar last year - loads of flowers and only one chilli. This year I got a good few off it. I just wonder if they need an awful lot of constant warmth similar to a tropical climate and whether the plant needs to mature.
    There's no pollen on the flowers at all.

It's become a source of conversation in the office, usually along the lines of "Jesus, the size of that bloody plant.....". :D
    Its a possibility , all my plants are kept in a conservatory for the summer and if anything they are overheated the odd day, but the amount of pollen is crazy it coats the leaves under the flowers.

All mine get trimed right back for overwintering anyway, fingers crossed they survive, i only kept one of the strongest of each type of plant, as i need room for some new types come janurary.

Late EDIT

I have done some research about that type of plant, you are not alone with the flowering but no pollen problem.
    People have reported good results by increasing the humidity in the plant environment .
    For you this means either getting a humidity tent which is probably overkill for one plant
    or get a misting spray bottle and spray a fine mist all over the plant a few times a day.

That makes a lot of sense! The air in the office would be very dry because of the air conditioning. Might try spraying it.

Is anyone else prepping for the start of another growing season ?

So i am left with my overwintered plants
    1 Worldbeater Bell pepper Plant
    1 Corno di Toro Rosso Pepper plant
    1 Cayanne Chilli plant.

Fingers crossed they will grow when temps and sunlight improves in the next few months.

Along with 8 small Orange Bonnet plants which i kept indoors at room temps, the only problem with these is that they got a bit of blight at the end of the summer which they are only starting to shake off now cause im treating them with bordeaux mix.

For something new this year i have ordered some seeds from south devon chilli farm which are
    Thai Hot Chilli seeds
    Purple Jalapeno chilli seeds :D

Im looking forward to another growing year and seeing how the overwintered plant fair out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Just ordered some Denver F1 sweet pepper seeds this afternoon :) nicky kyle tried them out last year and highly recommended them. Got them from dobies. I didnt try to overwinter any plants and regret it now. It's been so mild I'm sure it would have worked out well :(

redser7 wrote: »
    Just ordered some Denver F1 sweet pepper seeds this afternoon :) nicky kyle tried them out last year and highly recommended them. Got them from dobies. I didnt try to overwinter any plants and regret it now. It's been so mild I'm sure it would have worked out well :(
    Actually its been so mild im a little worried , these mild humid conditions are perfect for mould/bacterial infections to set in.............. Will have to wait a month or two and see how they react to the increased daylight, i will take a few pics of them now and in a few months and see how the experiment panned out.

Check out the south devon chilli farm website there are excellent choices of seeds there that they actually grow themselves.

I have two Scotch bonnet plants that are starting to grow nicely on the kitchen window sill. I'll be putting them out in the glasshouse once it gets a wee bit warmer (unless I put a heater in it).
    I grew them from seeds from chillies I bought in the supermarket last year.

Apart from that, not too sure what I'll grow this year. I have a load of Naga seeds so maybe I'll just grow a whole jungle of them! :D

Might boost the initial growth of some of them by using the Aerogarden and then transplant them into pots once they start to grow a bit.

I have two Scotch bonnet plants that are starting to grow nicely on the kitchen window sill. I'll be putting them out in the glasshouse once it gets a wee bit warmer (unless I put a heater in it).
    I grew them from seeds from chillies I bought in the supermarket last year.

Apart from that, not too sure what I'll grow this year. I have a load of Naga seeds so maybe I'll just grow a whole jungle of them! :D

Might boost the initial growth of some of them by using the Aerogarden and then transplant them into pots once they start to grow a bit.
    Have you been spraying the naga plant to increase humidity or are you waiting until spring/summer.

just took some seeds from birds eye chillis will sow them today to give them an early start indoors.

Have you been spraying the naga plant to increase humidity or are you waiting until spring/summer.

just took some seeds from birds eye chillis will sow them today to give them an early start indoors.

I'm going to wait until spring/summer before I start spraying it. There's no buds on it at the moment so I'm just getting it to grow as big as possible in the meantime.

Nearly time to start planting some seeds for this year's crop.
    I got an AEROGARDEN STARTER TRAY last week and am going to use that to start off all the seeds this year, then transplant them into flower pots and stick them into the greenhouse.
    Should be nice and humid in there in a few months. :)

I like the Aerogarden and it's great fun but I think it's best suited for starting off the seeds and then planting them elsewhere.
    I might even use it to start off my bedding plants as well.

• Advertisement

Well, the monster Naga plant in the office here has suddenly sprouted a few flowers in the last few days. Time to get myself a sprayer and hopefully we'll see a crop this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Flowers need to be pollinated to set into chillis, and there are not many insects in the conservatory! I grow lots of chillis indoors and get plenty of chillis out of them. I use a very soft paintbrush (a watercolour one from the art shop) to gently brush the pollen into the flowers when they are fully open. Try it, you will get loads of chillis.

Spraying does a similar job, moving the pollen about, but is less efficient. Won't do any harm. of course.

My problem is there's absolutely no pollen on the flowers at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Have chocolate habanero, naga and a dorset naga seedlings coming along nicely at the minute :) Something I've never experienced before though is my Jalepeno and scotch bonnet have started growing with the seed still attatched to it :confused: I've had them all by the window since germintating, and since they're in light the stalk/root is green and growing straight up but with the seed still on it. Never seen it appen before, don't know if I should just leave it not?

Denis322 wrote: »
    Have chocolate habanero, naga and a dorset naga seedlings coming along nicely at the minute :) Something I've never experienced before though is my Jalepeno and scotch bonnet have started growing with the seed still attatched to it :confused: I've had them all by the window since germintating, and since they're in light the stalk/root is green and growing straight up but with the seed still on it. Never seen it appen before, don't know if I should just leave it not?
    I have seen that plenty of times, some of the seed husks are tougher than others. All of mine came off anyway eventually , the leaves should gently emerge out of the seed husk over the space of a few weeks, nothing to be worried about, but i have seen people say leaving the seeds in water for 24 hours before planting can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Hey chilli heads!
    I've a few overwintered plants, 5 piri piri chilli plants.
    To be honest they never went fully "dormant" even after a severe pruning, but they should be well set up for the new season. Was really happy with them last year in terms of taste and heat, and growing effort and robustness.
    May sow some more, we'll see.
    Would love some Habenero's (tasty!!), but it took soooo long for them to grow for me last year- was too late by the time fruit started to show.
    Might order some some seeds and grow some more colourful chillis as gifts.

I'll throw up some photo's of the overwintered plants tomorrow maybe.

Anyone have issues with tiny little black flys (fruit flys or similar) living in pots kept inside over the winter?

langdang wrote: »
    Hey chilli heads!
    I've a few overwintered plants, 5 piri piri chilli plants.
    To be honest they never went fully "dormant" even after a severe pruning, but they should be well set up for the new season. Was really happy with them last year in terms of taste and heat, and growing effort and robustness.
    May sow some more, we'll see.
    Would love some Habenero's (tasty!!), but it took soooo long for them to grow for me last year- was too late by the time fruit started to show.
    Might order some some seeds and grow some more colourful chillis as gifts.

I'll throw up some photo's of the overwintered plants tomorrow maybe.

Anyone have issues with tiny little black flys (fruit flys or similar) living in pots kept inside over the winter?
    No issues with any blackfly, probably cause mine were kept in a cold conservatory all winter, and brought them back inside 2 weeks ago, they were fully dormant, they are slowy showing some new growth so fingers crossed they all pull through.

Bought some Moruga Scorpion seeds yesterday! It'll be a couple of weeks before they're delivered but I'm very excited. :D

Also, finally got around to planting my Naga, Habanero, Cayenne and Jalapeno seeds in my Aerogarden starter kit last night.
    Despite me having taken the seeds from a Naga chili 4 weeks ago, the tiny traces of the fruit that was still on the seeds managed to do quite a bit of damage to my face, particularly the inside of one of my nostrils!!! :D

Moral of the story - even the seeds can burn like a mofo after a few weeks!

Here's the Aerogarden with my 2013 crop. All the chillies are in the pods on the left.
    The rest of the pods have my herbs, lettuce, rocket etc... I.e. the ones that are already sprouting.
    Checked the chilli seeds today and they're all finally sprouting after a little over a week apart from the Naga ones. They take a little bit longer.
    Once my replacement plugs for the kit arrive, I'll be transplanting the herbs and veg to my cold frame and planting my Moruga Scorpion seeds in the Aerogarden.

758f107b-50a8-48f6-a2d3-fd0d29f56b12.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Okay totally forgot about this thread, ill be growing these in my conservatory can ye recommend what seeds would work best for indoor use ?also what compost is best, i have small pots etc just need seeds and compost and feed, any recomendations on what to get?

• Advertisement

I've found that any seeds will work fine indoors, as will any compost so long as they're watered regularly and get lots of sunlight.

For plant feed - Chilli Focus is the one to get.

cheers m8 , best place to get seeds from?

glic83 wrote: »
    cheers m8 , best place to get seeds from?

I've used both seeds from packets and seeds from fresh chillies. Never had an issue with either.

May be a bit late to chime in here but regarding using seeds from fruit .............. if you are unlucky the parent plant could have a bacterial or fungal problem which it will pass onto the seeds.... it does happen , it happended me with scotch bonnets this year and the lot ended up being dumped.

With regards to compost, a john innes based compsot will work better in terms of drainage and aeration than a peat based compost.
    Both will work but john innes based composts will work better...... if you are bothered you add perlite and vermiculite into the compost mix and its ideal for chilli plants then.

For seeds i either use fruit ones and hope theres no problems or i purchase from south devon chilli farm website they have some beauties on there :D

Cheers for the replies , just need to get my ass into gear and get the rest of my stuff now

Here is my update for March.

Loads planted including
    Birds eye chillis
    Purple Jalapeno
    Thai hot chillis
    Ring of fire chillis
    Joes long slim cayenne.

I have 3 plants left form last year that i over wintered........ their progress has been slow, the tips of the remaining branches have started to die... but i believe this is because the plant is investing its energy into new growth, buds are apperaing at all the nodes on the main stem. If we get a nice sunny week i have a feeling these plants will explode into life very fast.

WP_000070.jpgWP_000068.jpg

Must post up a few photos of my own - they're at a similar stage to yours.
    I have:
    6 Cayenne plants
    6 Jalapeno plants
    4 Naga plants
    6 Habanero ones

6 seeds of Morgua Scorpions but only one has sprouted yet. They're tough buggers to get to grow! They seem to take about 3-4 weeks and really need a lot of light (woohoo to my Aerogarden) and plenty of warmth ... again woohoo to allthe bad weather and the fact the tumble dryer is going nearly every day. It makes the utility room nice and toasty. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Just a thought here and would depend on locations etc, but if people are like me, then you would generally sow a fair few seeds of the one variety in case some didnt germinate/died etc etc...

You are (well I am!!) then loathe to throw any away and sometimes end up (as Heroditas above- whether deliberate or not) with a number of each variety....

When they were established and movable, if people were interested and location suited, we could swap some plants to increase the variety of plants you have.... You could have a group meet or individuals could pm each other; whatever...

Would probably help if people put their (approx) locataion in their profile too..

Just an idea...thks

I have loads of Cayenne (well advanced), Habanero, Jalapeno, Choc and others I cant remember sown at this stage...Also have Bell Boy and other Sweet Peppers sown...

Just a thought here and would depend on locations etc, but if people are like me, then you would generally sow a fair few seeds of the one variety in case some didnt germinate/died etc etc...

You are (well I am!!) then loathe to throw any away and sometimes end up (as Heroditas above- whether deliberate or not) with a number of each variety....

When they were established and movable, if people were interested and location suited, we could swap some plants to increase the variety of plants you have.... You could have a group meet or individuals could pm each other; whatever...

Would probably help if people put their (approx) locataion in their profile too..

Just an idea...thks

I have loads of Cayenne (well advanced), Habanero, Jalapeno, Choc and others I cant remember sown at this stage...Also have Bell Boy and other Sweet Peppers sown...

I'm in balmy Lucan. :D

What I do is put three seeds close together in each plug. Once they sprout and the first leaves appear, I snip the two smallest ones and am left with a healthy plant in each plug which I then transfer to a flower pot with a load of soil.
    I've got over a 90% sprouting success rate from the seeds this year but it's all down to the light, nutrients and heat available in my own humble opinion.
    Hence why I use full spectrum lights to give me equivalent strong sunlight for 16 hours of the day.

EDIT: the number of plants I have is completely deliberate. I'm going all out this year to grow as many plants as I can in my spanking new glasshouse.
    I also have 6 tomato plants and basil and coriander plants growing.
    The only problem is the ridiculously cold weather. My wife is going nuts at every single windowsill at the front of the house being cluttered with flower pots.
    Once the weather finally gets a bit warmer, all the plants are going out into the glasshouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Thought I'd upload a few pics of what I have growing. First one's Naga bhut jolokia, second one's Dorset naga. https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

First time growing them this year, and I was just wondering if anyone else has bought seeds from seedrack.com? I bought chocolate habanero seeds along with the others, but instead of a habanero I've got what I'm fairly certain is a tomato plant :confused: Germination rate on those was also very low
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

Sorry pics aren't the best quality

Advertisement