Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepper/chilli plants flowering looking for advice

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

+1 to what Outcast says really.....You defo need to sell product like Chilli Focus, good seedling compost etc etc and similar at a competitive price...

I would visit if there was enough to do to justify the trip....
    Plenty of unuusual plants, chilli colours etc....
    You could call it the Pepper Farm and not limit yourself to chillis...possibly consider sweet/bell peppers as well to catch the non spicy people element :D

Another possible future consideration would be to sell the likes of home made/artisan type chilli mayo, piri-piri marinades and sauces...People seem to be into that stuff

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

tara m wrote: »
    Hello Chilli Fans!

Cut a long story short - I am a gardener, trained at Kew in London and I'm in the process of setting up a chilli farm here in Limerick, near Newcastle West. Would this be somewhere you would visit? We will plan to be open for next spring, and hope to grow the largest variety of chillies in Ireland. What else would you like to see at a Chilli Farm - some talks and courses? A chilli dedicated shop? Any feedback greatly appreciated, and free tickets for the first weekend, Promise!

Thanks for your input - Tara

Hi Tara
    I think it's a brilliant idea and I would visit for sure. Talks and courses on sourcing growing and maintenance would be brilliant for me personally

Keep me posted please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This period of hot weather is coming at just the right time for my chillies. I have a glasshouse heaving with green cayenne peppers waiting to ripen and the jump in temperature should help that.
    I have a good few jalapeños and my habanero fruit have absolutely exploded this week. The nagas are even beginning to show signs of fruits.
    Even my sick scotch bonnet plant that I put outdoors away from the rest of them is coming on in leaps and bounds.

The occasional watering and plenty of heat will do wonders for them. :D

I don't know where you live but apparently there is a bit of a heat wave / good weather in the way in ireland so that puppy is going in the sun for a few days a bit of air/ heat and the sound of beer flowing should be the right tonic. Does the habanero grow just as well as the cayenne and jalapeño plants?

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    I don't know where you live but apparently there is a bit of a heat wave / good weather in the way in ireland so that puppy is going in the sun for a few days a bit of air/ heat and the sound of beer flowing should be the right tonic. Does the habanero grow just as well as the cayenne and jalapeño plants?

The hotter the chilli, the hotter the weather that is needed to grow them. The likes of jalapeños are dead easy even in Ireland but the likes of a Habanero needs loads of sunshine and heat to really crank up the heat.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    The hotter the chilli, the hotter the weather that is needed to grow them. The likes of jalapeños are dead easy even in Ireland but the likes of a Habanero needs loads of sunshine and heat to really crank up the heat.

Okay good to know it was hotter than hell today so I am hoping the jalapeños will be leaping with spice. I have a porch in the house that's like an oven so I might try the habaneros in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Would anyone be able to identify this plant, suppose to be a Cayenne but looks bit like Apache to this untrained eye?

Most definitely not a cayenne!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

talkabout wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to identify this plant, suppose to be a Cayenne but looks bit like Apache to this untrained eye?
    I would expect the typical cayenne to produce longer slimmer fruits.
    Where did you get the plant or seed ? if taken from a fruit you could easily have a hybrid plant.

I got that plant from South Devon Chilli Farm in April. I grew Cayenne's last year so knew it didn't look right. I'll let it grow away and see how it gets on.

• Advertisement

I got that plant from South Devon Chilli Farm in April. I grew Cayenne's last year so knew it didn't look right. I'll let it grow away and see how it gets on.
    I get a lot of seeds etc from south devon chilli farm, have a look at pics of Joe E Parker chillis and Aji chillis, they look a bit like your chillis.

I get a lot of seeds etc from south devon chilli farm, have a look at pics of Joe E Parker chillis and Aji chillis, they look a bit like your chillis.

Good catch, think it may be the Aji Chilli, just goggled it and it looks very similar. It appears to love the current conditions of full sunlight and hot temperatures as its coming on great at the moment.

Good catch, think it may be the Aji Chilli, just goggled it and it looks very similar. It appears to love the current conditions of full sunlight and hot temperatures as its coming on great at the moment.
    All mine are striving in current conditions but I have so many that greenfly are becoming an issue, I gave them a spray the other day and need to do daily checks to catch them .

The fine weather has the plants in fine form, most are heavy with fruit and need cane support put in this week, the only plants left to start fruiting are the Thai hot and Birds Eye which are starting to flower.

The only battle I am fighting is with greenfly, but its not too bad under control at the moment.

Overview of plants in conservatory

DSC00266.jpg

Purple Jalapeno In chilli grow
    DSC00267.jpg

Long Slim Cayenne in Chilli grow
    DSC00268.jpg

Purple Jalapeno Standard Pot
    DSC00269.jpg

Prarie Fire in Chilli Grow
    DSC00270.jpg

Ring Of Fire in Chilli Grow
    DSC00271.jpg

Long Slim Cayenne Chillis love to twist
    DSC00272.jpg

Purple Jalapeno Fruit Closeup
    DSC00273.jpg

Prarie Fire fruit beginning to emerge
    DSC00274.jpg

Long Slim Cayenne Standard Pot
    DSC00275.jpg

Thai hot in chilli grow beginning to flower
    DSC00276.jpg

What are you guys using for the green fly, I'm battling them and the spider mites

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    What are you guys using for the green fly, I'm battling them and the spider mites
    The greenfly im combing through the plants paying special attention to new growth and flowers, they can hide inside the flower petals and breed too by flowers and inside them the little feckers.

I bought a bottle of SB invigorator that's what the guys in south devon chilli farm use as its non toxic . http://www.sbproducts.co.uk/

Its a good product, how good will depend on you use of it, its a spray and you need to spray tops of leaves, underside of leaves, flowers etc. They need to come into contact with it. It works very well.

Yeah I have been squashing and killing green fly and spiders like machete, not pretty thanks for the tip

Hilarious. As some of you know, I’ve been growing a behemoth of a Naga plant in work for just over a year now.
    Recently, I’ve had to cut chunks off it because it was going out of control. Also, it was starting to look a bit sick with leaves falling off it and the soil was looking very “rooty”.
    Anyway, I was contemplating cutting it right back to just a few new sprigs and starting again from scratch when I spotted a load of chillies on it! I reckon I’ve found about 10 so far, some of them fully grown and a nice shiny rich fern green colour.
    Happy days! Seems like the constant hot weather has made the office a bit more humid and that has helped the plant. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hope you don't mind me bumping an old thread. I am growing chilies for the first time (cayenne) and things are going reasonably well. I have about 14 plants, with some doing better than others. The largest in just shy of a foot awhile the smallest is about 6 inches. They are just starting to flower now, and I've pinched the flowers off the smallest plant as I think they need to grow some more.
    My issue is, even the biggest plants seem to be lacking in leaves. The plants seem a little spindly and not bushy. I haven't started feeding them yet but was going to start soon, would that help fill out the leaves? I'm growing them indoors but recently (the last 3 weeks or so) I've been moving them outside to an outdoor greenhouse to get more light and heat. Also, some of them seem to be very slow growing, they don't seem to have done much in the last few weeks even with the really good weather recently. Anyone with any advice? I can post some photos tomorrow to show what I mean if that helps. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Chillies need warmth 24/7, which we haven't been getting, nights have been distinctly cold here even in the good weather. Mine are coming on slow too, but its early days yet. Give them a good feed about once a week when the soil dries out and don't leave them out at night if the temperature is going to drop below 10c and you won't go far wrong.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement