Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which SLR is best to buy?

Options
  • 12-06-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm hoping to buy a digital SLR soon and have beed advised to go wit a Canon 550, I'm a complete amateur but want to buy a good one when I am spending a good bit of money, anybody out there with any advice??
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

posie4 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm hoping to buy a digital SLR soon and have beed advised to go wit a Canon 550, I'm a complete amateur but want to buy a good one when I am spending a good bit of money, anybody out there with any advice??
    Thanks!

Both Canon and Nikon are excellent! Twiddledum or twiddledee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why not ask in the photo forum ?

to be honest ...Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Minolta, .... it all comes down to the person - yes ! having the different lenses, accessories etc will assist in getting the image but in todays world, if you cant "see" or create the image online with what you have then you shouldn't be taking pics.

I work as a full-time professional photographer - and have lenses from 14mm to 600mm and 6 camera bodies (including a hasselblad) - its not about the equipment - the ability to know what you are doing when you press the button is more important than having all the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Hi Posie4

If you get an entry level camera you'll learn the basics and then out grow the camera which means you'll be upgrading again in 12 months.

What I would recommend (if you have the budget) a Canon 60d will grow with you. It has all the auto settings for the complete novice but you can turn everything manual if you want. It also does video and has the flip out screen, it's a good all round camera; it's also what I use for my videos and pictures.

There's nothing to beat a bit knowledge but you need to start somewhere with the kit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Anti-shake technology is essential in a DSLR.

Canon and Nikon have it in their lenses. Which means additional lenses are really expensive.

Sony (Used to be Minolta) has it in the camera body so the lenses are waaaay cheaper. They can also use older Minolta lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Montrealer

Definitely Canon. Nikon is good too, but personally, I'd never buy a camera other than Canon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement