Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering in Ucd or Construstion Management in WIT

Options
  • 12-06-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi ,
    I have applied for WD025 Construction Management & Engineering. This is one of two options that I am considering to take in September, the other being the access to engineering course in UCD with the intention to progress on to the 3 year general engineering degree programme.
    As a carpenter applying as a mature student, does anyone have any opinions as to what course would be better suited to me ?
    I have looked at the course content of both but am looking for some honest first hand reviews from past students .
    Any comments would be much appreciated,
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Hi ,
    I have applied for WD025 Construction Management & Engineering. This is one of two options that I am considering to take in September, the other being the access to engineering course in UCD with the intention to progress on to the 3 year general engineering degree programme.
    As a carpenter applying as a mature student, does anyone have any opinions as to what course would be better suited to me ?
    I have looked at the course content of both but am looking for some honest first hand reviews from past students .
    Any comments would be much appreciated,
    Thank you.

My advice would be to stay away from the WIT course. Just because often with a course with two major subjects you end up being qualified as neither in the end. The saying "jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind.

In this case especially when looking for a job when you have the course done. Say you decide you want to work on the more engineering side of things, you will be facing stiff competition from other graduates that have done straight engineering courses for 3/4 years. At best you can hope to have done half the amount of engineering they have done in college. The same would apply when looking for a job as a construction manager.

I'm just recently graduated from UCD engineering so i don't want to be to biased but I would advise to go for the UCD course of the two you mention. Obviously you'll need to be fairly good at maths to do engineering, and having done a bit of physics is a help aswell but not essential. A lot of engineering students end up working as project manager anyway which won't be too far removed from construction management.

Let me know if you want anymore info about the UCD programme

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Broseph Stalin

As someone whos from waterford, Ill be the first to tell you its a fudging tip, stay as far away from the place as possible, WITs not bad but go for UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

... your name is awesome...

Advertisement