Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you say is the best 'small' breed dog?

• 12-06-2012 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Basically I lost my dog recently and we're gonna go for a smaller breed this time around. We've always had a big dog though, so I don't know where to even start

One with minimal health problems (compared to a Pug) and would get on with two grown cats? My aunt has a Jack Russell, but it hates cats.

Anyone have any suggestions? One that's no bigger than a Bulldog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Do you want a pup or adult dog? If your not after any particular breed at all I'd just visit your local rescue or pound and see what they have. All pups generally can be brought up to get on with cats, even most adult dogs (even notorious cat chasing breeds!) if given some time and a proper introduction can learn to live with the resident cats. Some rescues foster out animals prior to adoption so will know which ones get on with other dogs and cats.

My adult terrier rescue is a notorious cat chaser, goes mad to chase cats he see's on walks or the cats that walk across the fence, yet despite a rocky start now gets on fine with my cat who was here for years before him.

Are your cats dog savvy and confident? That will certainly help as a cat that runs away when chased is a game to most dogs. Also research proper cat-dog introductions, keep the dog on a lead at first and always make sure the cat has an escape route, never attempt to hold the cat for introductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

Ideally I'd like a puppy, but I don't mind either way.

My local pound (Drogheda) doesn't have much choice so I could probably venture to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Macronelf wrote: »

My local pound (Drogheda) doesn't have much choice so I could probably venture to Dublin.

Even though I live in the midlands I got my last dog, a Yorkshire Terrier, from the pound that deals with Dublin strays. I found him through a rescue that posts pictures of the dogs in the pound on the internet.

I will give you details if you PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My mother has had a black pom for a year. It's a touch on the yappy side but gets on like a house on fire with the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Try the pound first,I've seen such lovely terriers and small dogs at our local pound,they often get puppies in and need to find homes.
    A beagle is a fantastic dog to have around cats and they are such loyal companions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Macronelf wrote: »

There is no pound in Drogheda. There is the Louth pound in Dundalk that covers Drogheda but I think you might be thinking of the local rescue? There is one rescue that is mostly cat based due to their lack of a premises for kennels and their dog rescues are all in foster homes.

There is a big difference between pounds and rescues/shelters. A dog pound is run by a local authority and strays that are found/captured by the dog warden will be brought there. A stray dog will be given a minimum of 5 days to be claimed and if they aren't the chances are they will be put to sleep. Dogs surrendered to the pound by their owners have a far worse outlook, they can be PTS after 24 hours as their owners have surrendered them. Anybody can walk in off the street and take a dog from the pound once the dog licence fee is paid.

Rescues/Shelters do their utmost to rehome all dogs that are surrendered and found straying/abandoned. A good reputable rescue will assess a dog for a new home, ie will it be good with kids/cats, or need a home where it is the only dog. Rather than handing a dog over that day, most rescues will insist on a homecheck to make sure the dog will be in a secure garden and some will not rehome where there is nobody home most of the day. Most will also neuter/spay any dog being rehomed to prevent further unwanted litters and this will be reflected in the donation fee to the rescue to cover costs.

Some people prefer to take pound dogs as they feel that a pound dog is on 'borrowed time' as it is. Others will go the rescue route as the assessment may be important to their needs. But as you say, don't limit yourself to the locality, there's lots of rescues within a decent distance of Drogheda that might have the right dog for you. I'm on the outskirts of Drogheda and my rescue boy came from the other side of the country:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are lots of smaller dogs and pups but you might need to look outside your area, plenty of rescues rehome outside their own county.
    Irishanimals.ie has a list of rescues and dogs and pups that needs homes. Also check out facebook as lots of rescues are on there now to help reach more people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

There are lots of smaller dogs and pups but you might need to look outside your area, plenty of rescues rehome outside their own county.
    Irishanimals.ie has a list of rescues and dogs and pups that needs homes. Also check out facebook as lots of rescues are on there now to help reach more people.

I would second this. Just take a look at the Facebook pages of dog rescues and rehoming charities and you'll spot some gorgeous dogs on there.
    Personally, I'd recommend a terrier x - we've had one for just over two years and she's an absolute joy. No health problems (cross-breeds tend to be healthier), great temperament and very easy to keep inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

I highly recommend a yorkshire terrier
    They get on great with cats and are brilliant with Kids.
    They still enjoy a good walk, you can keep them indoors with minimal mess
    Their hair doesn't shed as much as other types.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What about a Shih Tzu? Mine got along with my cat (until the cat passed), and I have no doubt he will get on with another cat.

But - it's all in the upbringing. My cat sulked for three days when I got the puppy. When he realised the small furry bundle wasn't going anywhere, he came round and very soon was letting the pup know who was the main man in the house!

Hope you find your new friend soon, OP! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Staffordshire bull terrier wouldn't be bigger than a bulldog and are fantastic dog to have around the house.

If your looking for a rescue try a dogs life they seem like a great bunch of folk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You won't go wrong with a Cairn/Norfolk terrier type - bags of energy and character. Long lived too and most pounds should have these types in their kennels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I was admiring a black 'mid sized' poodle the other day, not sure of the correct term, the 'big one' is a Standard and the 'tiny one' has another name - but the one I saw was just lovely, with a temprament to match.
    Edit:
    'Toy' - the small yappy ones
    'Miniature' - check these out, one may suit
    'Standard' - I'm in love. One day :)
    208709.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Wire Fox Terriers.

I used to have two of them. Energetic, a bit daft and great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If you aren't set on a particular breed - rescues are the way to go! There are LOADS of dogs and pups that would make brilliant pets if given the chance, most animals end up in rescue due to human mistake, not any fault of their own. Many rescues assess their dogs with kids etc. so if you are concerned about how well a dog gets on with cats, you may have the answer before you take the dog home. Pounds are also jammed with dogs so definitely worth a look :) There are lots of mixed breeds and pure breeds in rescues and pounds that would suit your situation and could make you the perfect pet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

A beagle, from my experience they're a miniature bigger dog. Jack Russells and other terriers would your normal small dogs.

They're cute and super intelligent.

I'm heavily biased towards big dogs, but they're one of the very few small dogs I would consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

I loooovvvveeee my jack Russell, but he sheds and sheds and sheds... so for me ideal would be a jrt that doesn't shed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I know two different people with mini yorkie terriers and both dogs get on well with my 3 cats once they realise the cats aren't afraid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

lubie76 wrote: »
    I know two different people with mini yorkie terriers and both dogs get on well with my 3 cats once they realise the cats aren't afraid of them.

+1

My Yorkshire Terrier, who I got from a dog pound, thought he was the king until he met my cats. They soon put him in his place and now they all live and play together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Shhh wrote: »
    I loooovvvveeee my jack Russell, but he sheds and sheds and sheds... so for me ideal would be a jrt that doesn't shed!

Could be on to something there - maybe a Jack Russell / Toy Poodle cross? A Jackroodle! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

I echo what someone said about Cairn terriers. My girl is a cairn x (no idea what else she is as she is a good bit bigger than a Cairn) and herself and my cat get on really well. If anything the cat bullies the dog! They spend all day playing :) She came from the <rescue>

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

Update: I am in the process of adopting a 9month old Miniature Pinscher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

How about Corgi? My friend has had 3 of them and I always thougt they were lovely and got along Great with cats, horses etc:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 icicle2000

We have a german klein spitz and a pomeranian (both of the Spitz family of dogs) and they get on wonderfully with our cat and with other dogs. Spitz dogs come in avariety of sizes, but all are extremely friendly and playful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Mo60 wrote: »
    +1

My Yorkshire Terrier, who I got from a dog pound, thought he was the king until he met my cats. They soon put him in his place and now they all live and play together.

If it is a Yorkshire Terrier you are after... there are 2/3 of them in the <snip>. Was up there the other day. They are still pups so unless you have someone in the house all day, you won't be considered for the adoption.

I always liked Jack Russells, Rat Terriers or Beagles

With all that being said I would strongly advise you to check out all of the rescue centres you can think of. Also, if you look at their websites I know that they put up some of their dogs online for you to browse through. Be advised that not all of them are up so don't hesitate from going there in person.

EDIT : Didn't see your last post. Good luck with the adoption! I'm in the middle of adopting a Boxer Lab X. We're signing the contract tomorrow and picking her up :) Passed the home check today so we're all set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

gavmcg92, I know you are relatively new to this forum, but just to point out that we don't allow rescue recommendations, the reason being that as with anything naming individual rescues often leads to defamatory comments being made and this causes a lot of problems for the site given that most rescues follow this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

gavmcg92, I know you are relatively new to this forum, but just to point out that we don't allow rescue recommendations, the reason being that as with anything naming individual rescues often leads to defamatory comments being made and this causes a lot of problems for the site given that most rescues follow this forum.

I understand. Won't happen again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

IMO Scrappy Doo is the best small dog :D

Advertisement