Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident to work

Options
  • 12-06-2012 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

Looking into doing something like this in Australia after uni: https://aldiapplyyourself.com.au/#!/graduateprogram
    But they ask that you are an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident.
    I'm assuming the employer won't accept working holiday visas in case you don't get the right to work permanently after the training programme finishes.

Would the government grant you permanent residancy if you got the job?
    I don't actually plan on staying there permanently, after the two years we can decide to move back home or to stay another few years.

I'm not interested in working on a farm for any amount of time to get the visa because I only intend on staying a few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Would the government grant you permanent residancy if you got the job?
    No, the job would have to nominate you for PR, and as a uni graduate you probably cannot qualify for this visa at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

hussey wrote: »
    No, the job would have to nominate you for PR, and as a uni graduate you probably cannot qualify for this visa at all

That's what I was thinking. Its stupid that they will take anyone who wants a working holiday but when you want a serious career paying more tax they aren't interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well there are but there are other methods for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

That's what I was thinking. Its stupid that they will take anyone who wants a working holiday but when you want a serious career paying more tax they aren't interested.
    You do realize the only change that would bring about is the ceasing of Working Holiday Visas.

Zambia wrote: »
    You do realize the only change that would bring about is the ceasing of Working Holiday Visas.

Working holiday visas suit people who want a quick and cheap process to get a visa to work while they have a year long holiday. If you want to emigrate for a few years there is no visa for that unless you do a 2 year working holiday first! That will put off a lot of graduates.
    Most serious jobs don't want people on short term visas.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Well there are but there are other methods for that.

You mean residency or citizenship? I couldn't find another option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Working holiday visas suit people who want a quick and cheap process to get a visa to work while they have a year long holiday. If you want to emigrate for a few years there is no visa for that unless you do a 2 year working holiday first! That will put off a lot of graduates.
    Exactly right its primary purpose is a Holiday Visa.

Australia is obviously not in the market for graduates its in the market for experienced graduates. Hence it has a range of VISA options for them.

Maybe it puts off graduates as that is its intended purpose?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well you answered your own question there.
    You mean residency or citizenship? I couldn't find another option.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement