Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westboro Baptist Church

• 12-06-2012 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

I am all for freedom of speech but i really think this group take it too far.
    Also should the parents not be brought up on child cruelty charges for teaching hate and racism?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1oAsgzchA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

They are a vile bunch, but I do approve of their strong anti-smoking stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There just attention seeking whores, the picketing of Funerals being the scummiest action possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

You and your ilk effectively work for them. 99.999% of their publicity comes from people discussing how offended they are. Just layve them off lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Lets concentrate on people who murder, especially those who murder in the name of religion, lets get a fecking grip on 'outrage' and educate and understand all the absurdity that's floating around because there is quite a lot.

Lets get some links to people who murder in the name of make believe fairies in their head religion up here now.

Poxy outrage over religious freaks is pointless, why not attack murderers first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

they also hate ireland
    http://www.godhatestheworld.com/ireland/index.html
    One of the most striking blows by the King of Eternity, against Ireland, came as the Great Famine of about 1845-1850. Of the approximately 8.5 million people living in Ireland, 8 million of them were either exclusively or heavily depending upon the potato growing industry for their survival. Enter the handy little late blight disease, destroying much of the potato harvest, and chaos resulted. Farmers could not produce the goods and were evicted in huge numbers; the farming infrastructure/industry crumbled, and emigration became essential and common. The government of Britain offered some initial help, but pretty quickly they washed themselves of the Irish problem, and before long over 1 million of the Irish population was dead, and even more than that were fleeing.

Down about 1/3 of their overall population, Ireland has never recovered. And the Chaff-People they outsourced to other nations have spread their idolatrous tendencies far and wide. One need look no further than Bill OReilly in the United States to get just the picture of this phenomenon: That bloviating big mouth, worshipping Mother Nature rather than God (i.e., giving that man-made creature power over the Sovereign God), and doggedly promoting the great whore Catholicism (while trying to minimize the harsh reality of the pedophile and other perversion growing strong in that satanic hothouse), is classic Irish.

Those left in Ireland have sucked on their bitterness and anger toward God and each other every since. Mix that in with their overwhelming propensity toward the peep-and-mutter Catholic perversion, and what do you get? Perfectly fertile ground for the internecine disputes of groups such as the Irish Republican Army, which has been charitably described as follows: Traditional IRA activities have included bombings, assassinations, kidnappings, punishment beatings, extortion, smuggling, and robberies. Now theres some good ol Irish hospitality for ye! And, despite the United States and other countries working to tidy up that stinking mess, it still prevails. As one global security site acknowledges, even following multiple inspected disarming charades: The IRA retains the ability to conduct paramilitary operations. The IRAs extensive criminal activities reportedly provide the organizations with millions of dollars each year. Them laddies are baddies ... and they hate each other with a passion almost to the extent with which they hate God.

nice people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Lets concentrate on people who murder, especially those who murder in the name of religion, lets get a fecking grip on 'outrage' and educate and understand all the absurdity that's floating around because there is quite a lot.

Lets get some links to people who murder in the name of make believe fairies in their head religion up here now.

Poxy outrage over religious freaks is pointless, why not attack murderers first.

Well of course but it could be argued that wbc may motivate people to kill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

retalivity wrote: »
    they also hate ireland

nice people

They're not wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Great bunch of lad's Complete bunch of arseholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

They're not wrong...

Could you clarify on what aspect they are correct on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

#2 on my bucket list: Protest a Westboro protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

they are just misunderstood:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

You're all fag enablers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It's a pity there isn't a hell for them to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

retalivity wrote: »
    they also hate ireland

nice people

just for that.............. fcuk them (up the ass)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

WOW suddenly I am seeing my religious upbringing in a whole new light and my current atheistic viewpoint in an even greater one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

They make funny Lady Gaga parodies though:

Kinda catching, "F-f-fornicating"

Here's another one:

Here's their Michael Jackson parody:

BTW, they HATE Santa Claus:

("Santa Claus will take you to hell")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Is there one person or thing or place they actually like ?
    Looks like they hate everyone equally. They seem non discriminatory in that respect at least :pac:

The Landover Baptist lads are way worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

For good Christians they seem awfully obsessed with sex and fornication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That's what makes a good christian is it not?

Anyone see the louis theroux show on them on rte a couple of weeks ago - they seem to have developed a lady gaga fetish which is nothing short of hillarious. It's basically an extremely poor lady gaga tribute show, but with the words changed to tell you how we're all going to burn for all eternity and so on. TV gold!!

EDIT: Just noticed the videos above - hillarious!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pedant wrote: »
    They make funny Lady Gaga parodies though:

Inserted videos

LOL

The sad gobschites!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Dear 80-something percent catholic Ireland.
    Everything they do and say is supported by The Bible. Your Bible
    Yours
    Ghost Buster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

I'm amused and saddened all at the same time that "people" like these exist.

I'm amused and saddened all at the same time that "people" like these exist.

Freedom of speech is a double-edged sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Feel sorry for the kids though.

Louix Theroux' docu with them and the follow up are good viewing. Good to see some of the kids manage to get out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It wouldn't surprise me if this group is backed by the CIA / US authorities to give them an excuse to usher in hate speech laws and what ever else that they need to alter the first amendment.

Where is this group getting all the funds to travel to and fro in large groups across the USA to picket funerals and what ever else. I doubt very much the are getting much cash from passing the plate about at their service.

In the same way I believe CIA were behind Wikileaks in order to usher in CISPA and what ever other tools they needed to censor and monitor the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It wouldn't surprise me if this group is backed by the CIA / US authorities to give them an excuse to usher in hate speech laws and what ever else that they need to alter the first amendment.
    I don't think so... This shows a bit of a failure to grasp the extremism of some of the religious in the states. Unless you are going to try and say any such people similar to westboro are also backed by the CIA. Are all these people sponsored by the CIA/US authorities?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGpws-4wqxg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ntDyWVXrY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2agsAZcA3fU

Are Faux News sponsored by the CIA/US authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Dear 80-something percent catholic Ireland.
    Everything they do and say is supported by The Bible. Your Bible
    Yours
    Ghost Buster

I wouldnt go so far as to say I'm an athiest but I have no time for organised religion, I'm also the last person you're going to find defending the Catholic church. However, what you have written here is untrue. People read whatever they want into these things and twist words for their own ends. Certain people may interpret things in certain ways but the bible does not tell people to act like this.

Those videos are priceless.

America has some real religious nuts don't they.

• Advertisement

If you wish to facepalm, then you must watch this.

^^
    Intelligent lassie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I don't think so... This shows a bit of a failure to grasp the extremism of some of the religious in the states. Unless you are going to try and say any such people similar to westboro are also backed by the CIA. Are all these people sponsored by the CIA/US authorities?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGpws-4wqxg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ntDyWVXrY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2agsAZcA3fU

Are Faux News sponsored by the CIA/US authorities?
    You obviously don't seem top be able to grasp the difference. :rolleyes:

All those examples are confined within the privacy of a church while WBC's are all on public property.

I wouldnt go so far as to say I'm an athiest but I have no time for organised religion, I'm also the last person you're going to find defending the Catholic church. However, what you have written here is untrue. People read whatever they want into these things and twist words for their own ends. Certain people may interpret things in certain ways but the bible does not tell people to act like this.
    Read the bible. Seriously. You'll be rapidly able to call yourself an atheist when you do that.
    You obviously don't seem top be able to grasp the difference. :rolleyes:

All those examples are confined within the privacy of a church while WBC's are all on public property.
    How about the tea party movement? They have similar attitudes and they aren't exactly confined to the privacy of a church.

Do you also think that pastor who wanted to burn the koran was sponsored by the CIA/US authorities to annoy muslims?

I beg to differ, much of The Bible especially the Old Testiment (By the same all powerful author) is one long incitement to hatred, smiteing, begatting, genocide etc etc and these folk are simply following its teachings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Great bunch of lad's Complete bunch of arseholes

Don't know if they actually are arseholes, but they certainly are very obsessed with that particular orifice. I reckon Fred Phelps is the biggest closet case on the planet. Who else could be such a rabid homophobe? :):):rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9977/rape2.jpg

Talking about them, even if it's to give out about, is giving them precisely what they want - attention. The best thing to do is to give them none at all, just ignore them and hope they go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Biggins wrote: »

People who defend the Bible tend not to have read it.
    When they have and they disagree with it, it's a poetic metaphor.
    Pretty obvious the guy offering his women to the homosexual was a metaphor about offering Barry's Tea to a Lyon's drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Fred Phelps is like a less camp version of Noel Furlong from Father Ted. He is clearly so flaming raging it is not even funny. Too bad Sacha Baron Cohens Bruno couldnrt get an interview with him.

I am still mystified as to how they earn a living, how they afford all these cross country flights. IIRC from the docu most of the kids are lawyers by trade. Nobody in their right mind would hire them to defend them in a case. No state is going to hire these people for defendants under its legal aid programme- god forbid government money going to a group that pickets army funerals. So who exactly are their clients, where the hell is the money coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I heard a radio interview with one of them recently, where he said that they believed in predestination, that is that god makes people do everything they do and there is nothing you can do. So god makes people gay and there is nothing you can do but you will still be punished.

So I didn't quite understand how this reconciles with their protests, if god is making them do it what's the point in telling them to repent, it won't happen unless god wants them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Meh, they just talk ****e and say nasty things.
    Ignore them and they'll go away.

Ultimately it's their life they're wasting on their crusade of bigotry and ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What can we do

Jester252 wrote: »
    What can we do

I saw them jumping on a tricolour once.

I would love it, LOVE IT, if they tried that little stunt on O Connell Street on a Saturday night.

grindle wrote: »
    People who defend the Bible tend not to have read it.
    When they have and they disagree with it, it's a poetic metaphor.
    Pretty obvious the guy offering his women to the homosexual was a metaphor about offering Barry's Tea to a Lyon's drinker.

Im not defending the bible, just saying that these WBC people are obviously reading into it what they want.
    I will admit I havent read the whole thing, mainly because it's massive and doesnt hold that much interest for me, but from what I have read I do recall a lot of 'love thy neighbour' and 'turn the other cheek' craic (as well as the fire and brimstone) that these lads seem to be ignoring. My point is the problem here is (mostly) with the WBC, not the Bible itself.
    Attempting to link this behaviour to all of christianity, as one poster did, is also unfair.

The attitude of some people on this highlights one of my biggest problems with athiesm, it is as militant and dogmatic as any religion. It has its books and doctrines that it adheres to slavishly as well and (some of) its practitioners are just as narrow and unbending in their outlook.
    That attitude is precisely why I dont subscribe to any organised religion.
    One thing everyone can agree on is that we didnt come from nothing. Everyone has their ideas but nobody knows for sure. Something had to be there initially. Was it God, an energy, a blip in the matrix? I dont know, but I'm open to all possibilities.

Im not defending the bible, just saying that these WBC people are obviously reading into it what they want.
    They're reading in to it what it says. That is why they are called "biblical literalists". They take it literally. I'm happy literalism isn't a common thing here and people have a modern interpretation on things, but this line doesn't fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I am still mystified as to how they earn a living, how they afford all these cross country flights. IIRC from the docu most of the kids are lawyers by trade. Nobody in their right mind would hire them to defend them in a case. No state is going to hire these people for defendants under its legal aid programme- god forbid government money going to a group that pickets army funerals. So who exactly are their clients, where the hell is the money coming from?

They sue the hell out of people who block their protests. That's how they raise their funds.

I will admit I havent read the whole thing, mainly because it's massive and doesnt hold that much interest for me, but from what I have read I do recall a lot of 'love thy neighbour' and 'turn the other cheek' craic (as well as the fire and brimstone) that these lads seem to be ignoring. My point is the problem here is (mostly) with the WBC, not the Bible itself.
    Attempting to link this behaviour to all of christianity, as one poster did, is also unfair.

The attitude of some people on this highlights one of my biggest problems with athiesm, it is as militant and dogmatic as any religion. It has its books and doctrines that it adheres to slavishly as well and (some of) its practitioners are just as narrow and unbending in their outlook.
    That attitude is precisely why I dont subscribe to any organised religion.
    One thing everyone can agree on is that we didnt come from nothing. Everyone has their ideas but nobody knows for sure. Something had to be there initially. Was it God, an energy, a blip in the matrix? I dont know, but I'm open to all possibilities.

Its not about reading anything into the bible, its simply about reading it which has bugger all to do with militant atheism unless militant atheism is about calling a spade a spade. Nice tangent you are off on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church#Funding
    WBC's travel expenses exceed $200,000 annually.[185] According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, Westboro is funded entirely by its congregation and accepts no outside donations.[186] The church has received money from lawsuits and legal fees.[186][187] For example, they sued the city of Topeka several times in the 1990s.[186] WBC received $16,500, and is pursuing another $100,000, in legal fees for a case won in court.[187] The WBC is considered a nonprofit organization by the federal government, and is therefore exempt from paying taxes.[188]
    Their congregation obviously gives substantially. I'm surprised they refuse money from outside donations. Kind of goes to argue in a way it isn't just in it for the money as if they were they could be making a lot more.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church#Funding

Their congregation obviously gives substantially. I'm surprised they refuse money from outside donations. Kind of goes to argue in a way it isn't just in it for the money as if they were they could be making a lot more.

IIRC they only have 20 or 30 odd people, nearly all of them the children and nephews/ nieces of Phelps, and their children/ spouse.

In the local area these people would presumably be unemployable, and if they are self employed nobody would use them. There is only so much money you can make out of lawsuits (dont know about the US but in France and Britain judges sometimes rule what they view as nuisance lawsuits by awarding the claimant one pound or one euro, plus costs)- 200,000 in travel expenses alone surely cant be covered by this. Who the hell else is funding them? :confused:

Its not about reading anything into the bible, its simply about reading it which has bugger all to do with militant atheism unless militant atheism is about calling a spade a spade. Nice tangent you are off on!

This is what I mean. This is the exact same attitude you get from staunchly religious people when you dare question their beliefs. You seem to have a lot more in common with them than you would like to admit.
    The athiesm thing I wrote was a side note to an earlier poster who suggested if I read the bible fully I would become an athiest.
    The main point I was making was that these WBC clowns seem to be picking bits out of it that suit their agenda (as a number of people on here are doing as well.) There is more to the book that fire and brimstone, particularly in the new testament, and I'm merely voicing my opposition to people here making sweeping generalisations about it, as I would on any issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement