Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No bailout money has gone into the banks

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Sovereign drew down Troika funds and shovelled them straight into the banks, the OP was commenting on the provenance of Capitalisation and Nationalisation funds.
    Re-reading that, it's so wrong and so wide of the threads point that I have just now hit myself in the head with a hammer for having read anything else you have posted so far.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Where did the money come from for the July 11 and Feb 12 IL&P fundings Pottler and Scofflaw? These were not fully accounted for in the first post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Where did the money come from for the July 11 and Feb 12 IL&P fundings Pottler and Scofflaw? These were not fully accounted for in the first post.

The July recap is, in fact - €2.7bn in Exchequer cash for IL&P as per the table. There was no February recap - that was a court challenge to the sale of Irish Life. The State will be putting in another €1.3bn in exchange for Irish Life, which completes the PCAR requirement of €4bn for IL&P, by the end of this month. That money will also, I'm quite sure, come from "Irish" sources, and not be met directly from the bailout funds.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

but the total pcar b exchequer disbursement was a tad less than 4bn....we'll say 4bn and all for ILP and ignore as rounding.. and does that not then mean that the exchequer gave none of the others a penny during the pcar b round ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

but the total pcar b exchequer disbursement was a tad less than 4bn....we'll say 4bn and all for ILP and ignore as rounding.. and does that not then mean that the exchequer gave none of the others a penny during the pcar b round ?

No, the 2011 PCAR payments were €3.9bn to AIB/EBS and €2.7bn to ILP - the total exchequer disbursement was €6.5bn
    noodler wrote: »
    I thought it was always the case unofficially that we would use our own resources first for the recaps.

The 85bn bailout was
    22.5bn EFSF
    22.5bn EFSM (incl bilateral loans)
    22.5bn IMF
    17.5bn Irish Resources (NPRF and Exchquer balances)

The NPRF's involvement in all the recaps since the bailout was a sure sign of this (the big AIB one in December 2010 onwards).

I don't think it is too significant.

The NPRF's total invovlement is €7bn in 2009, €3.7bn in 2010, €10bn in 2011 - total €20.7bn

Exchequer funding, including 28.5bn PN that has not yet been paid, is €42.1bn (leaving €13.6bn actually paid out).

The details of the Troika & Bilateral Lonas are available on the NTMA website
    Summary of moneys currently disbursed to Ireland (€bn):
    18.40 EFSM
    12.74 EFSF
    16.23 IMF
    1.5 UK
    0.1 Denmark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

antoobrien wrote: »
    The NPRF's total invovlement is €7bn in 2009, €3.7bn in 2010, €10bn in 2011 - total €20.7bn

Exchequer funding, including 28.5bn PN that has not yet been paid, is €42.1bn (leaving €13.6bn actually paid out).

The details of the Troika & Bilateral Lonas are available on the NTMA website
    Summary of moneys currently disbursed to Ireland (€bn):
    18.40 EFSM
    12.74 EFSF
    16.23 IMF
    1.5 UK
    0.1 Denmark

Sorry, I am not sure what point you were making with that post.

EDIT: Maybe you thought I didn't realise there were bailouts before the pre-2011 PCAR?

Regarding Exchequer contributions, I was almost certain that some of the money given to AIB/BoI (3.5bn each) and Anglo (4bn) in the early days of the bailouts were done via the NPRF but the Exchequer actually made contributions to the NPRF for the purpose.

Sorry, I am not sure what point you were making with that post.

EDIT: Maybe you thought I didn't realise there were bailouts before the pre-2011 PCAR?

I suggest you take another look at my post, you should find that I've referenced the money paid in 2009 - before the PCAR tests of 2010 & 2011.

What I was attempting (lazily) to do was highlight the difference between expected totals that we will pay and the actual amounts spent and received (which I've stopped bothering pointing out).

The reason why I do this - if we ever get a deal on the PN, or say and exemption/extension on the Basel III rules - these figures will change.

Besides which I'm sick and tired of hearing outright lies from the likes of Nmamwhinelake saying that we've spent 67.5 bn.

Crap if you're going to make a claim like that the figures are:
    13.6bn - Excehquer funding (including PN)
    20.7bn - NPRF
    =====
    34.3bn - current outlay on Banks
    +
    30.0bn - NAMA Capital (i think it's actually 29, but I'll be conservative)
    5.0bn - NAMA extra financing
    =====
    69.3bn - total outlay including NAMA
    +
    28.5bn - promissory notes potentially due
    -3.1bn - pn bond bought by BOI
    =====
    94.7 - total possible outlay
    Regarding Exchequer contributions, I was almost certain that some of the money given to AIB/BoI (3.5bn each) and Anglo (4bn) in the early days of the bailouts were done via the NPRF but the Exchequer actually made contributions to the NPRF for the purpose.

No, payments to the NPRF are reported as capital payments and would show up in the exchequer statements as such.

The Anglo money did come from the exchequer. The €7bn paid to AIB & BOI came from the NPRF (see the OP or this post in another thread)

Where is the money coming from for our 1st ESM contribution in July? NPRF OR Our 'own' exchequer? We must stump up €1.25bn for that bailout in 5 tranches of €.0.25bn each.

Where is the money coming from for our 1st ESM contribution in July? NPRF OR Our 'own' exchequer? We must stump up €1.25bn for that bailout in 5 tranches of €.0.25bn each.

I don't know but if it was up to be it'd come from the NPRF - as the ESM (assuming that the counties representing 90% of the capital ratify it between now and then) is an investment (i.e. we will get a return from it unless all the capital is lost).

• Advertisement

I suggest you take another look at my post, you should find that I've referenced the money paid in 2009 - before the PCAR tests of 2010 & 2011.

What I was attempting (lazily) to do was highlight the difference between expected totals that we will pay and the actual amounts spent and received (which I've stopped bothering pointing out).

I am sorry if you feel you are repeating yourself on the thread but I am still not entirely sure how the information you posted relates to my OP.

Besides which I'm sick and tired of hearing outright lies from the likes of Nmamwhinelake saying that we've spent 67.5 bn.

I don't agree with NWL adding in the C&AG reports on the overpayment whilst disregarding the monies recieved by the Governent for the guarantee fees and the various dividend-relates monies from BoI.

Although, the NPRF's record being what it is, it is probably fair to say we would have made at least the guarantee fees back if the money had been available for them to invest as they saw fit.
    Crap if you're going to make a claim like that the figures are:
    13.6bn - Excehquer funding (including PN)
    20.7bn - NPRF
    =====
    34.3bn - current outlay on Banks
    +
    30.0bn - NAMA Capital (i think it's actually 29, but I'll be conservative)
    5.0bn - NAMA extra financing
    =====
    69.3bn - total outlay including NAMA
    +
    28.5bn - promissory notes potentially due
    -3.1bn - pn bond bought by BOI
    =====
    94.7 - total possible outlay

Three small issues with that table:
    1) NAMA is 32bn in nominal loans (unless you are subtracting some of the sales already)

2) I am not sure why you would 'minus' the BoI ubying the promissory note - as things stand (and assuming the BoI shareholders vote favourably) we simply owe 6.2bn next year (i.e. we have merely postponsed this years payment to next unless a deal is forthcoming).

3) Are you excluding the 17bn in promissory note interest because the transaction is circular? (I wish a Government spokesperson would actually make this point). I doubt we will get all this interest back but I live in hope.

No, payments to the NPRF are reported as capital payments and would show up in the exchequer statements as such.

The Anglo money did come from the exchequer. The €7bn paid to AIB & BOI came from the NPRF (see the OP or this post in another thread)

My mistake, I haven't revisited the 2009 recaps in a while and forgot those early recaps were from two different sources.

Three small issues with that table:
    1) NAMA is 32bn in nominal loans (unless you are subtracting some of the sales already)

Depends on who you believe - the last figure I heard was €29bn, but I won't quibble over €3bn.

The point of NAMA is that we've somehow managed to get it off the books as a private company.
    2) I am not sure why you would 'minus' the BoI ubying the promissory note - as things stand (and assuming the BoI shareholders vote favourably) we simply owe 6.2bn next year (i.e. we have merely postponsed this years payment to next unless a deal is forthcoming).

My understanding is that the money has still gone to IBRC (assuming the BOI shareholders see the merit in turning a quick buck while being patriotic), so I don't think we will have to pay this money again and it doesn't go against GGD (because it's already there).
    3) Are you excluding the 17bn in promissory note interest because the transaction is circular? (I wish a Government spokesperson would actually make this point). I doubt we will get all this interest back but I live in hope.

Fair enough, the quoted value of the PN is €30.6bn. I've never actually seen an analysis of where the €17bn is coming from and all I've head is that we pay back 10 installments of 3.1bn (8 remaining).

Depends on who you believe - the last figure I heard was €29bn, but I won't quibble over €3bn.

The point of NAMA is that we've somehow managed to get it off the books as a private company.

My understanding is that the money has still gone to IBRC (assuming the BOI shareholders see the merit in turning a quick buck while being patriotic), so I don't think we will have to pay this money again and it doesn't go against GGD (because it's already there).

Fair enough, the quoted value of the PN is €30.6bn. I've never actually seen an analysis of where the €17bn is coming from and all I've head is that we pay back 10 installments of 3.1bn (8 remaining).

The money has gone to IBRC (and then to the CBI) but IBRC needs to buy back the bond from BoI in one year's time AND they have to make the scheduled PN payment for March 2013 - unless the delay tactic actually solves something in the meantime.

The 17bn interest, as best I can remember, has to be paid to the Irish CBI by IBRC because the European Commission said the transaction has to mimick a real market transaction.

Now, the theory from economists and even Patrick Honohan I think, is that the interet will be returned to the Government when the CBI makes its annual dividend.

Two things though

1) Some have said that the CBI is charged 1% by the ECB to give the money to IBRC (I don't know if this is true - I thought Karl Whelan said the only thing the ECB had to do was approve the CBI's ELA but not actually provide the cash as it is being created anyway). If it is true then we are down some portion of the 17bn.

2) Unforeseen IBRC costs.

PCAR A and PCAR B shown in the original post did not include monies given to IL&P, te point that the exchequer put the exchequer money into the NPRF which was then topped up to reach the €20.7bn mark is correct.

http://www.ntma.ie/Publications/2012/NTMAResultsAndBusinessReview2011.pdf
    The Directed Portfolio consists of public policy investments in Allied Irish Banks and Bank
    of Ireland that were undertaken on foot of directions from the Minister for Finance. Since
    2009 the Fund has invested €20.7 billion in preference shares and ordinary shares in the two
    banks, including €10 billion in July 2011, comprising Bank of Ireland €4.7 billion (where the
    Fund’s shareholding is 15.1 per cent) and Allied Irish Banks €16.0 billion
    (where the Fund’s
    shareholding is 99.8 per cent).

The PCAR B investment was made in July 2011, some 6 months after the Troika funding first appeared in the system here.

No mention is made of the IL&P bailout in that document, so where did the money for the IL&P bailout come from??

PCAR A and PCAR B shown in the original post did not include monies given to IL&P, te point that the exchequer put the exchequer money into the NPRF which was then topped up to reach the €20.7bn mark is correct.

http://www.ntma.ie/Publications/2012/NTMAResultsAndBusinessReview2011.pdf

I suggest you read the OP again Sponge Bob - the amount of the IL&P money is recorded in the table (the one between BoI & IBRC).
    The PCAR B investment was made in July 2011, some 6 months after the Troika funding first appeared in the system here.

And we already know we had approximately a €20bn cash pile from issuing bonds in 2010.

I suggest you read the OP again Sponge Bob - the amount of the IL&P money is recorded in the table (the one between BoI & IBRC).

Ah. Sorry. Forgot to add. March 2012

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0329/1224314046526.html
    The court ordered the sale on an application from the Minister for Finance to finalise the €4 billion recapitalisation of Permanent TSB before the separation of the banking and life businesses.
    The deal, once executed after April 13th and completed by June 30th, will push the State’s bank recapitalisation payouts from €62.4 billion to €63.7 billion.

One does concede the frankly remote possibility that we kept money for that one too. There was €5bn left in the NPRF on 01/01/2012. The same €5bn will also have to cover our 'investment' in the ESM which will be in the form of 5 x €250m, €500m of that in 2012 and €500m in 2013.
    And we already know we had approximately a €20bn cash pile from issuing bonds in 2010.
    €16bn remained as of 01/01/2011 just before the Troika funds started to come online in the cash pool. You may remember that we were "fvully funded" when we had the €20bn cash pile pre bailout...as late as October 2010.

• Advertisement

€16bn remained as of 01/01/2011 just before the Troika funds started to come online in the cash pool. You may remember that we were "fvully funded" when we had the €20bn cash pile pre bailout...as late as October 2010.

Also please remember that €50bn of the approx €67bn being borrowed off the troika has nothing to do with the banks (that's what nearly 3/4 of the troika money).

The Vast bulk of troika cash is nothing to do with banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

The Vast bulk of troika cash is nothing to do with banks.
    The circle is complete.

The thread is predicated on none!

The thread is predicated on none!

Without actually seeing the source of the funds transfers we can't say where the money come from.

However it's clear that given the amount of money that the exchequer put into the banks since the bailout could be covered by either the troika loans or the cash pile at the end of 2010.

Personally I'll take scofflaw's analysis over yours because he's not bringing up irrelevancies to back up the point.

• Advertisement

Without actually seeing the source of the funds transfers we can't say where the money come from.

However it's clear that given the amount of money that the exchequer put into the banks since the bailout could be covered by either the troika loans or the cash pile at the end of 2010.

Personally I'll take scofflaw's analysis over yours because he's not bringing up irrelevancies to back up the point.

In fact, Sponge Bob has simply missed the point by a wide margin. He is fighting against the claim that no bailout money was used either directly or indirectly to fund the bank recapitalisations, which isn't the point of the thread. The point which interested me particularly was that the government has apparently been very careful to make sure the money going into the banks is from "Irish sources" in terms of the paper trail and legal ownership of the money put in.

It doesn't matter to my point whether the government, say, put troika money into the NPRF and then used the NPRF to fund the banks - although there isn't any evidence of them doing this either.

The point is interesting in light of the claim made by Alan Ahearne (an ex-advisor of Lenihan) that the "format of the bailout was wrong" because it made the State liable for any money Europe put into the Irish banks. On the contrary, the Irish government (both the one Ahearne advised and this one) has been extremely careful to ensure that that is how the bailouts worked - that the money that went into the banks was in every case as directly and clearly as possible State money. There is nothing in the MoU or any of the surrounding material that requires such arrangements.

Having said that, there is no evidence that bailout money was used indirectly either, but when dealing with money the fungible nature of it makes that largely irrelevant - had the State had to use NPRF money to fund its deficit, it could not, of course, have put the same money into the banks.

The other point of public/political debate on the crisis that this relates to is the idea that the Spanish bailout - or, now, subsequent ESM bailouts - could go directly to the banks rather than going via the sovereign, and that we could benefit from any such move by having the same thing happen to our debt, such as the promissory notes being replaced by direct ESM funding. That's something that immediately makes sense on the face of it, yet it's something the Irish government has actually gone to some lengths to avoid, which I find interesting, because it suggests that this will be another case where the public thinks doing X is obvious, and the government doesn't.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The other point of public/political debate on the crisis that this relates to is the idea that the Spanish bailout - or, now, subsequent ESM bailouts - could go directly to the banks rather than going via the sovereign

I know we're going slightly O.T. but that didn't happen with Spain did it? The government borrowed on behalf of the banks, effectively acting as a broker for the deal, which is why the debt markets haven't been impressed by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Scoffy that table is only for recapitalizations, what about paying bondholders?

Scofflaw wrote: »
    In fact, Sponge Bob has simply missed the point by a wide margin. He is fighting against the claim that no bailout money was used either directly or indirectly to fund the bank recapitalisations, which isn't the point of the thread.

Really :D
    It doesn't matter to my point whether the government, say, put troika money into the NPRF and then used the NPRF to fund the banks - although there isn't any evidence of them doing this either.

There isnt any evidence, there isnt any hard evidence that the pools of cash were strictly separated post 01/01/2011 either you must concede.
    The point is interesting in light of the claim made by Alan Ahearne (an ex-advisor of Lenihan) that the "format of the bailout was wrong" because it made the State liable for any money Europe put into the Irish banks.

He meant the likes of the €70bn ELA ( now reduced to €45bn or so). Again the state is potentially liable for the funding issued ( eg BONDS) to replace much of this ELA so I still fail to see the difference in terms of liability.
    The other point of public/political debate on the crisis that this relates to is the idea that the Spanish bailout - or, now, subsequent ESM bailouts - could go directly to the banks........

The Spanish tried that recently but the EU put the sovereign on the hook for it. We did much better there because we had access to Repo cash back in the day and that hasn't gone away you know.

Just that unlike other funds put into banks the state is not on the hook for Repo cash. The Spanish banks put the hand out when Repo eleigibilty had been constrained after all the cack our lot put in there and after the LTRO operation had ceased...and the Spanish fairly fed at that trough.

If the premise of the thread is true ...that we carefully invested no more than €20bn odd of our cash in the banks.....then why does our department of finance think they provided €375BN of "State Aid" in 2008 alone (7 of 21) ...not to split and resplit a hair like. :D

why does our department of finance think they provided €375BN of "State Aid" in 2008 alone[/URL] (7 of 21) ...not to split and resplit a hair like. :D

Well if we're goning to split hairs and all that, they guaranteed all the deposits (including bonds) in the Irish banks - which amounted to that much. Now it didn't actually require them to pay anything into the banks in 2008, but the markets (and EU) saw it as state aid.

Well if we're goning to split hairs and all that, they guaranteed all the deposits (including bonds) in the Irish banks - which amounted to that much. Now it didn't actually require them to pay anything into the banks in 2008, but the markets (and EU) saw it as state aid.

Not including deposits I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

If the premise of the thread is true ...that we carefully invested no more than €20bn odd of our cash in the banks.....then why does our department of finance think they provided €375BN of "State Aid" in 2008 alone (7 of 21) ...not to split and resplit a hair like. :D

First, the report specifies "state support" not "state aid" (i.e. A state backed guarantee rather than hard cash).

Secondly, figures from 2008 are all very interesting but since the "bailout" loan package only kicked in from Q4 2010 onwards they are hardly germane to how the monies from 2010 onwards were/are spent.

It cannot have included the deposits, they were always over €100bn (ref same link 3 posts up) and still are.

Scoffy that table is only for recapitalizations, what about paying bondholders?

The government doesn't repay bondholders. I know, I know, that's what everybody says they're doing, but the public debate about the bank bailouts in Ireland is, I'm afraid, is characterised by an impressive level of factual inaccuracy.

The banks pay off bondholders. The government has provided them with capital and collateral that allows them to maintain sufficient capital to qualify as solvent, and to use as collateral to borrow from the ECB to repay bonds as they fall due.

What IBRC, and indeed the other banks, are doing is slowly reducing the amount of liabilities outstanding through disposals of assets and through use of earnings - "deleveraging" - to make their balance sheets smaller and improve the quality of their assets.

To make that possible, the banks are, in effect, borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, and then, when Paul is paid, borrowing from Paul to pay Peter. Because both Peter and Paul require collateral before they will lend, the government has had to provide the collateral to allow them to do this. But the government does not simply pay either Peter or Paul on behalf of the banks.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Really :D

There isnt any evidence, there isnt any hard evidence that the pools of cash were strictly separated post 01/01/2011 either you must concede.

Of course there is - the sources are listed. If the NPRF is listed, or "Excequer cash" is listed as the source, that's the source.
    He meant the likes of the €70bn ELA ( now reduced to €45bn or so). Again the state is potentially liable for the funding issued ( eg BONDS) to replace much of this ELA so I still fail to see the difference in terms of liability.

The Spanish tried that recently but the EU put the sovereign on the hook for it. We did much better there because we had access to Repo cash back in the day and that hasn't gone away you know.

Just that unlike other funds put into banks the state is not on the hook for Repo cash. The Spanish banks put the hand out when Repo eleigibilty had been constrained after all the cack our lot put in there and after the LTRO operation had ceased...and the Spanish fairly fed at that trough.

But this is (again) you attacking something I'm not saying. The liability is the same whether the government uses State sources or external bailout money directly - but that's not the same as the legal source of the money being a State source rather than external funding.

So, again, I'll point out that you haven't understood at any point in this thread what I'm saying.

As far as I can make out, you think I'm arguing that the troika bailout has, in effect, been totally and entirely separate from the banking bailout, that the money involved in the troika bailout has been completely and utterly separate in every way, both legal and actual, from the money in the banking bailout, and that by virtue of these supposed facts, the government has not acquired any legal liability to our external partners in respect of the banks, nor can it be said to have acquired any debt on our behalf from the external partners in respect of the banks.

What I am saying, in fact, is that:

1. the government has evidently acquired public debt in paying for the banks;

2. that some of that public debt has obviously been acquired from the troika;

3. that the liability involved is the same whether the government put money straight into the banks from the troika's pot or used the troika money to substitute for Exchequer cash in deficit spending and used the Exchequer cash to put into the banks.

My main point is that despite all of those three points, and particularly despite point 3, the government has in fact been careful to maintain the legal/accountancy origin of the money going into the banks as State sources. What you're arguing, as far as I can see, is that this is a fiction - and of course it's a fiction, but it's an important fiction in itself. There is no point in you arguing it's a fiction, though, because nobody, least of all me, is denying that!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

That would be a rather unilluminating way to describe it Scofflaw.

1. The government has put in hard cash ( see post 1)
    2. The ECB has put in cash on loan (Repo and LTRO) in return for collateral such as Lehmans Bonds and Government Bonds etc....I think it was Anglo pulled that one off with Lehmans. :)
    3. The Irish Central Bank has put in 'assets' called ELA , around €45bn of it, the promissory notes are a portion of this. Government Guaranteed.
    4. Finally our banks themselves have even issued Bonds To Bondholders for which the state has also provided guarantees ..not cash. Up To €18.35 bn worth of such in one week last year. . These were used to repay a portion of 2 or 3 above that fell due.

That would be a rather unilluminating way to describe it Scofflaw.

1. The government has put in hard cash ( see post 1)
    2. The ECB has put in cash on loan (Repo and LTRO) in return for collateral such as Lehmans Bonds and Government Bonds etc....I think it was Anglo pulled that one off with Lehmans. :)
    3. The Irish Central Bank has put in 'assets' called ELA , around €45bn of it, the promissory notes are a portion of this. Government Guaranteed.
    4. Finally our banks themselves have even issued Bonds To Bondholders for which the state has also provided guarantees ..not cash. Up To €18.35 bn worth of such in one week last year. . These were used to repay a portion of 2 or 3 above that fell due.

No, that just throws a lot of verbiage and figures up, without changing the picture at all. The government does not pay bondholders in the sense that hatrickpatrick was asking about - that's why there isn't a table showing government payments to bondholders, because it doesn't happen that way.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Can you explain how the state offering a guarantee on something the banks have issued is the same thing as the government handing out the money?

Advertisement