Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinkin in the airport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

xzanti wrote: »
    Buy yourself a newspaper/magazine and enjoy your pint, fcuk what anyone else thinks..

I always do that. Fly home each year and have multiple stops for a few hours.

After I do my walk around the stores its time to hit the bar, have 3-4 pints over maybe 2hrs and some food. Relax and read.
    Always make sure I stop 30min before I head to the gate, don't want to have to p!ss before the flight or when taking off. Worst time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i always brought a book and had a coffee and breakfast/snack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

bluewolf wrote: »
    i always brought a book and had a coffee and breakfast/snack

Boooorrrrring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I got my degree results while waiting alone for a connecting flight in Chicago. Had a shot of rum and a pint of ale to celebrate, nobody seemed to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There's something a bit naff about gangs of people skulling pints at the airport before they go on their holidays. Like they're all trying to prove what great craic they're having already or something. As if they won't be getting enough booze for the coming week. Single people killing the time with a book and a pint is a bit less desperate looking IMO.

I wouldn't touch booze before flying anyway. I'd prefer to keep my wits about me in case the d&mn thing fell out of the sky and I had to tread water for 36 hours before the Irish Coastguard found me. Or something. For me alcohol and confined spaces are not a good match either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I wouldn't touch booze before flying anyway. I'd prefer to keep my wits about me in case the d&mn thing fell out of the sky and I had to tread water for 36 hours before the Irish Coastguard found me. Or something. For me alcohol and confined spaces are not a good match either way.

If I was falling from 20,000-30,000ft to the ocean I'd like to have a few in me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

constantly play with your phone, that way you'll look like you're impatiently waiting for someone to turn up and that makes it ok to have a pint on yer own
    I buy a second pint and pretend I'm a raging alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'd prefer to keep my wits about me in case the d&mn thing fell out of the sky and I had to tread water for 36 hours before the Irish Coastguard found me. Or something. For me alcohol and confined spaces are not a good match either way.

Wasn't there a chef on the Titanic who survived the cold water as he was slugging brandy all evening.
    Alcohol meant he didn't feel the cold. Most everyone else died but he did not

So Teyla, to avoid hypothermia you want to be locked when you land in the cold water :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Rabies/mikemac - yis are ruining this for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

I used to always sneer at people drinking on the plane, until some auld lad kept buying me drinks a few months ago.

I only ever fly drunk now, it's fantastic, journey ****ing shoots by. Buy a nagin in the airport and a can of coke on the plane.

I'm fairly functional when drunk, so can still find my way to the hotel. If you're useless, I'd be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Bring a copy of Finnegans Wake with you and read it with your pint. People will stare at your oblivious to the pint and think you're mad for trying to read it so early in the morning!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a chef on the Titanic who survived the cold water as he was slugging brandy all evening.
    Alcohol meant he didn't feel the cold. Most everyone else died but he did not
    Not felling cold wouldn't mean your not actually getting cold. I'd find that hard to believe, a shot of brandy only helps you deal with the cold psychologically. I'm pretty sure that biologically it's not helping you at all, making things worse if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When you're in an airport bar you have better things to be worrying about than someone who's having a pint alone.

Like what will happen if the condoms burst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ScumLord wrote: »
    Not felling cold wouldn't mean your not actually getting cold. I'd find that hard to believe, a shot of brandy only helps you deal with the cold psychologically. I'm pretty sure that biologically it's not helping you at all, making things worse if anything.

Being a mod of zombie survival, I bow to your superior knowledge Sir :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

ScumLord wrote: »

Linky to Titanic chef here : http://www.titanicuniverse.com/titanic-survivor-charles-joughin/1349

My hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Try not to miss the flight or get kicked off it

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

xzanti wrote: »
    Buy yourself a newspaper/magazine and enjoy your pint, fcuk what anyone else thinks..

Exactly,work away and do what you want.Noone gives a crap if you drink on your own.It's noones buisness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Being drunk will make you lose heat faster. Alcohol dilates blood vessels.
    The bodies reaction to cold is to restrict blood flow to the extremities where heat would be lost. Alcohol undoes this effect. The guy was lucky. I'm not saying I'd do differently but really...

A beer in the airport is one of the nicest beers there is. Do it OP!

• Advertisement
Advertisement