Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS 6 - Does Siri Local Search Include Ireland...?

• 12-06-2012 8:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I can't get a definitive answer anywhere. None of the Irish news sites are making it clear, they're just regurgitating the content from other (mostly US) sites.

Does anyone know for certain? Would be awesome...!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Probably not. Siri isn't optimised for the Irish accent yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, there's no Irish localisation of Siri yet.

It's the local search of businesses etc that's probably delaying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RhysIsHere

WetDaddy wrote: »
    I can't get a definitive answer anywhere. None of the Irish news sites are making it clear, they're just regurgitating the content from other (mostly US) sites.

Does anyone know for certain? Would be awesome...!

I have downloaded and installed the iOS 6 beta onto my 4s. As of now with this beta, there is no local search for Ireland (for this build at least). Wether or not Apple plans to introduce this in the full release, I don't know.
    I'm so annoyed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

At the keynote Scott Forstall said the search would go around the world.

here

not the Irish accent, but local search is going global at eighty one minutes.

At the keynote Scott Forstall said the search would go around the world.

Yes but to go around the world you do not have to go to every country. But I hope your right...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Probably not since they don't have anyone to supply them with the info it will be first relesed in the US and then hopefully around the world. :D

Their information now comes from Yelp, so it should work. It also should get premiership scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

RhysIsHere wrote: »
    I have downloaded and installed the iOS 6 beta onto my 4s. As of now with this beta, there is no local search for Ireland (for this build at least). Wether or not Apple plans to introduce this in the full release, I don't know.

Very upsetting! Does turn by turn nav work? Any other demoed features not work? Also what does it say when you try to find say restaurants etc? Does it still say only in the us with us english?

Not looking good: http://www.ijailbreak.com/news/siri-languages-15-countries-ios-6-wwdc-2012/

Would have thought we'd get it at the same time as the uk!

johnwoods wrote: »

Very upsetting! Does turn by turn nav work? Any other demoed features not work? Also what does it say when you try to find say restaurants etc? Does it still say only in the us with us english?

Yes turn by turn navigation does work, however being able to ask siri to look for a petrol garage (like they said in the keynote) does not work.
    The restaurants and business search (local search) still is not supported in Ireland. I'm very disappointed because it should be simple. All the information for Apple to integrate this info is all in Yelp right now. I also asked siri to look for places in London, Manchester, etc... And it all worked fine. I even thought that it might only be available in Dublin because of the amount of businesses etc.. That are there

I'm pretty sure of we start questioning the operators in the FAQ part of Apple.ie it will catch their attention and hopefully get this fixed, without having to wait for iOS 6.1

• Advertisement

It does now but it is a beta. I am sure local search will cover Ireland. Watch the keynote.

It does now but it is a beta. I am sure local search will cover Ireland. Watch the keynote.

Heya,
    I watched the keynote and I remember foristall saying they're taking it around the world but on the link I posted earlier, I think they mean the 15 countries they've mentioned in their press release when they say "around the world"

http://www.ijailbreak.com/news/siri-languages-15-countries-ios-6-wwdc-2012/

What ya think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah he just meant they were expanding to another 15 countries. We'll probably be in the next wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks for all the answers, folks. I didn't get any mails from Boards saying there were replies in this thread...

My UDID is activated, but I'm going to hold off on going for the Beta for a while yet. Nothing really as attractive as the iOS5 features getting my attention for now.

WetDaddy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the answers, folks. I didn't get any mails from Boards saying there were replies in this thread...

My UDID is activated, but I'm going to hold off on going for the Beta for a while yet. Nothing really as attractive as the iOS5 features getting my attention for now.

I never had to activate my UDID. I simply downloaded the IPSW file, went to iTunes and held Option Key (Control for Windows) and clicked on update. Then just navigate to the IPSW file and your done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

Im assuming theres no cinema listings then so..

Ward670 wrote: »
    We don't know.

Ward670 wrote: »
    Correct, or any of the restaurant/ reservations features. (As of now at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

I never had to activate my UDID. I simply downloaded the IPSW file, went to iTunes and held Option Key (Control for Windows) and clicked on update. Then just navigate to the IPSW file and your done :)
    I hope you have a recent backup, that won't work for beta 2 and beta 1 will stop working when beta 3 is released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Ghostx

How did you manage to get iOS 6? I'm a developer so I should be able to download it but it's not available on the developer site for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Do you pay the €99 fee each year?
    You can join the developer site for free, but to join the iOS Developer Program is $99 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

Has beta 3 changed anything with local search? Heard the uk got cinema times now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Sorry to bump a three week old thread. But I have a developer account and created an app a while back, but didn't do much else since.

I'm thinking of installing the iOS 6 beta 4 which came out today. I've never installed a developer firmware before, what was beta 3 like - anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

look what i've spotted in beta 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

look what i've spotted in beta 4

Working for me to. Does this information come from yelp? As it is now viewable in Maps. Not sure if it was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

funkyflea wrote: »
    Sorry to bump a three week old thread. But I have a developer account and created an app a while back, but didn't do much else since.

I'm thinking of installing the iOS 6 beta 4 which came out today. I've never installed a developer firmware before, what was beta 3 like - anyone?

It's perfectly stable but if you like using Maps then stay away till Google release their own app. The Apple replacement is extremely poor in the betas anyway and has shown no improvement in Beta4.

Working for me to. Does this information come from yelp? As it is now viewable in Maps. Not sure if it was before.
    the yelp info was there in maps, before just siri could never do the actual search for you.

Maps are much better than beta 1 for Ireland. Not yet as good as google. I can't say, however, that iOS 6 offers much.

Very stable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Maps are much better than beta 1 for Ireland. Not yet as good as google. I can't say, however, that iOS 6 offers much.

Very stable though.

I read somewhere that the Mail app got something of an overhaul. Is this true? Anything decent in there?

• Advertisement

VIP inbox and a pull to refresh control they are the two most notable.

Advertisement