Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Streaming' v's 'Download'

• 12-06-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Have an Internet radio and used to leave it on a lot,('143 kbps MP3' it says on the station,one has 32kbps MP3, another station has 32kbps WMA, and yet another one has 64kbpsWMA ) then I was told by the provider that it was eating up my allowance, yet a friend of mine says he leaves his on all day because it's not a 'download' . Does I/Net radio gobble up Mb's ? ( tried it on my phone one day - seemed ok yet another day changed stations and it gobbled up €'s !)

Here's my basic daily routine - net on for 2hrs in a.m.checking email, news and various sites. Net on again for 2-4hrs p.m. doing similar. NOT downloading movies or anything (that I know of)

Is there any sort of a meter I can install in the corner to watch my consumption ? or how do the 'kbps / MP3 - WMA' translate into €'s :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nonsense, your friend is wrong. Streaming is the same a downloading but you don't keep a copy, it saves to a temp folder and is deleted as soon as it's listened to.

Who is your provider? What is your allowance? Must be very small if a 32kbps stream eats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Data is data regardless of how you transfer/use it!

I personally find myself streaming a lot more than downloading when it comes to movies/tv stuff but can easily keep track of the data used with the ISP

But yeah the limit must be terrible if 32kbps is eating it up for a few hrs use

32Kbps is 4KBs that’s about 14MB per hour
    64Kbps is 8KBs that’s about 29MB per hour
    128Kbps is 16KBs that’s about 57MB per hour

really are talking about small amount of data there when it comes to low quality radio streaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

So different radio stations have different 'levels' ?
    32Kbps is 4KBs that’s about 14MB per hour
    64Kbps is 8KBs that’s about 29MB per hour
    128Kbps is 16KBs that’s about 57MB per hour
    AFAIC the 'quality' seems the same from them all so I'd be better off financially listening to the 23kbps MP3 than the 128kbps :eek:

I'm with Eircom ,30gb allowance now - but only after I had a chat with them about my previous usage levels - forget what I was on when I had the problem :(

Not sure if my friend checks his bills though :D

Here's my stats - I was away in April/May

Month - Time Online - Bytes Uploaded - Bytes Downloaded - Allowance Used
    June 2012 - 267:13:56 - 447 MB - 8790 MB - 28%

May 2012 - 489:05:01 - 781 MB - 11975 MB - 38%

April 2012 - 82:41:27 - 201 MB - 5117 MB - 16%

March 2012 - 742:59:54 - 1563 MB - 34716 MB - 100%+

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes different stations broadcast at different rates and often stations will offer a choice of stream. The perceived quality of the different streams will depend on the quality of the radio speaker and the type of music listened to.

Many internet radios allow you to set up your station selection on a designated web site and it should be possible to find out the streaming rate there.

Alternately some radios will tell you what the streaming rate is if you poke around a bit with the settings.

Have a look in the radio section of itunes (if you use it) make sure the bit rate column is selected and that will give you an idea of the many streaming rates that stations use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You sure someone else isn't using your wireless? It's well known that older Eircom modems are easily hackable. It's doubtful a 32kbps stream and some light browsing would create traffic like this. It may be no harm to change the wireless encryption key and make sure your encryption is set to WPA not WEP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You sure someone else isn't using your wireless? It's well known that older Eircom modems are easily hackable. It's doubtful a 32kbps stream and some light browsing would create traffic like this. It may be no harm to change the wireless encryption key and make sure your encryption is set to WPA not WEP.

To the best of my knowledge nobody's using it - there's no lights flickering on the router when I'm not on the computer and anyway I've no neighbours nor cars parking outside the house:rolleyes:

Now -getting it to operate wirelessly within the house,:D
    scéal éile :cool::cool:

Advertisement