Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secret tunnels

Options
  • 12-06-2012 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

does anyone know anything about a secret tunnel that ran under the customs house into the Monto? Is is still there? Apparently part of it was discovered in Talbot street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Old thread Here might get some info

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

uch wrote: »
    Old thread Here might get some info

thanks for that. the thread seems to be about every tunnel in the country save the one I am looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah yes, there was a story that there was a tunnel that ran from Custom House Quay up to the Monto

It was expected that sailors would head up there

But it wouldn't do for officers and gentlemen to be seen around there so they had a tunnel

It was just a story, there was no tunnel

As for Talbot Street, all around that area had storage room underground.
    There were and still are cellars on O'Connell St that extend halfway across the street.
    Whatever they found, I bet it was just a merchants storage space

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ah yes, there was a story that there was a tunnel that ran from Custom House Quay up to the Monto

It was expected that sailors would head up there

But it wouldn't do for officers and gentlemen to be seen around there so they had a tunnel

It was just a story, there was no tunnel

As for Talbot Street, all around that area had storage room underground.
    There were and still are cellars on O'Connell St that extend halfway across the street.
    Whatever they found, I bet it was just a merchants storage space

interesting, I first heard about this tunnel on Nationwide few years back. I will have to read up and see what Pat Liddy has to say. There are holes in the wall of the Quay. i thought they might lead somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The books by Terry Fagan and the Inner City Folklore Archive deal with these too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The tunnel does exist but it served as an air vent funnelling cold air from the river into the basement pantries of the Georgian mansions to create a primitive fridge effect. Stories about it being an escape route for the aristocracy or a discrete entrance to the redlight district are nonsense-Montgomery St only slipped into notoriety 100 years after these buildings were erected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And there's the other 'story' of there being a tunnel to the Monto from what is now the Hugh Lane Gallery for one of the Earls of Charlemont to travel without being seen to satisfy their 'urges'.

Advertisement