Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for the clueless

Options
  • 12-06-2012 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi All,

I need some help, as it's my other half's 30th bday coming up in a few months.

He's into pc games, and is always complaining that his Sony Vaio doesn't have the graphics card he needs to get the full gaming experience.

I want to get him a laptop or pc with a decent graphics card so he can get the most out of his games, but as per the title, I haven't a clue where to start.

Any suggestions or advice? I also don't really want to spend more than a grand. Is that totally unrealistic?

Thanks for any replies :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

cbmonstra wrote: »
    Hi All,

I need some help, as it's my other half's 30th bday coming up in a few months.

He's into pc games, and is always complaining that his Sony Vaio doesn't have the graphics card he needs to get the full gaming experience.

I want to get him a laptop or pc with a decent graphics card so he can get the most out of his games, but as per the title, I haven't a clue where to start.

Any suggestions or advice? I also don't really want to spend more than a grand. Is that totally unrealistic?

Thanks for any replies :)

If a mod could move this to Pc building and upgrading forum you'd get better replies.

I'd recommend getting a PC over a laptop. Generally, gaming laptops are quite expensive, and unless he's always on the go travelling, it's not worth getting one.

Does he have a monitor already?..Or would you need to buy one out of the €1000 budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Thanks, I was afraid I'd be in the wrong forum alright. (feel free to move, mods).

No, he hasn't a monitor already, so I would have to get one. I was thinking a pc might be better than a laptop, but wanted to know if laptop was an option (lack of space in our gaff is an issue).

I will consider a pc, though, if it is the better way to go.

Thanks for the response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Seeing as you wouldn't be able to built the pc yourself, you'd have to buy pre built.

Something like this would do fine?...I've got a similar machine and it plays all my games really well.

This is from www.overclockers.co.uk ....I've used them before and they're very good.

Rig-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Yes, unfortunately wouldn't have the know how to build myself, and neither would he, so I guess we are limited that way.

The example you provided is great though, as I have a few months before his bday, I can look around for machines with similar specs and graphics card.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Hi cbmonstra,

I agree with ooPabsoo, I suggest you post this in PC Building & Upgrading-copy & paste the questions from this post into a new thread, and answer same re. monitors, peripherals etc. and the guys there will certainly help you out. 1k will build a great PC.

If size is a problem, you can easily get a smaller PC case and motherboard (mini atx) as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Also about building it: If you order from hardwareversand.de (recommended for price), you can pay 20 quid for them to build it for you. Still works out much cheaper than a lot of places here or in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 AncientW

I would recommend getting an Intel i5 2nd or 3rd generation, shouldn't be a big difference in price but a huge difference in specs. Also GPU looks outdated a bit, spend 50 - 100 euro more and you'll get a beast PC. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Advertisement