Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice On Subject Choices!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Also Art isnt just drawing. There is writing part on Art history, people who are good at art are wishing they chose a diffrent subject in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

Anyone have any other oppinions on doing business or accounting having not done business for jc? All of this has been so helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Anyone have any other oppinions on doing business or accounting having not done business for jc? All of this has been so helpful :)

Nearly all of my year who are doing business didn't do it for JC, and they're doing grand.. they said it didn't really make a difference :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

You already have 2 languages so I wouldn't advise Japenese.
    You already have a science subject so I wouldn't advise Chem or Physics.
    With the workload of Geog History prob wouldn't be the best idea.
    A practical subject - DCG or Art - might be a nice break from all the theory subjects (not saying there isn't some theory involved in them).
    Art is marked a lot harder than DCG I think, so unless your a very talented artist maybe DCG? :)

biohaiid wrote: »
    You already have 2 languages so I wouldn't advise Japenese.
    You already have a science subject so I wouldn't advise Chem or Physics.
    With the workload of Geog History prob wouldn't be the best idea.
    A practical subject - DCG or Art - might be a nice break from all the theory subjects (not saying there isn't some theory involved in them).
    Art is marked a lot harder than DCG I think, so unless your a very talented artist maybe DCG? :)

Theres no theory in DCG :) although there is a 40% project, and that takes a good bit of time, but its all before Christmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

DO BUSINESS!
    I'm repeating my leaving cert (now all honor subjects and dropped the compulsory pass Irish and Maths)

On offer for repeat students at my college, the recommended subjects to do in a year, is business and geography. It is doable to cover the course in a year and to achieve a A. So do not worry that your did not study it for the Junior Cert. Little to none background information is required.

A friend in my class took it up new, and while she loved studying Chemistry she dropped it after xmas since it was so time consuming. And Business became her new love!

My sister took up Chem after her Junior Cert. for points for Mary I. primary school teaching. She got it, but she noted that all her time was spent at chemistry as it is such a demanding subject, with 515 points I think chem was what she got her 'lowest' mark in, despite all the time she put into it.

Other one-year subjects recommended in my college is Geography and Agriculture Science. I took up Agriculture science and business new. I'm against the idea of taking up geography and Agriculture Science for a one year new subject as both require projects that are quite time consuming and compulsory for 20 marks. I was burned out by April after completing the Geog, AgSc, History projects and french orals. If you have a fifth year for completing the history, AgSc, or geog project then perhaps consider them.

Im against History also if you want to attain a A. As other have stated, theres specific information required on each asked essay, so while you might know an event in detail, without one minute angle you won't get that A.

The most important factor on choosing ANY subject: Is the Teacher any good?

This literally makes or breaks a subject. If you have a excellent Chem (etc.) teacher, perhaps consider it.

Everyone is individual so I would recommended going into a second hand school book story and looking thru a variety of school books for each subject and see what actually interests you the most.

Best of luck with your choice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

As others have said, avoid History like the plague. It's a ridiculously tough subject to get an A in (thank god there was an easy paper this year though!) I've never done Geography, but from what I know of it I'd advice you to stay away from it too as there's a hell of a lot of writing in the exam. I would recommend to anyone doing the LC to do 2 science subjects, a language, and one subject that isn't history or geography.

I've never done Chemistry but both Physics and Biology are easy enough subjects to get the A in if you work hard. Only thing about Physics is that you need to start studying in 5th year if you want to do well in it. It takes a while to absorb the concepts.

If you spend your 2 years just doing exam questions on Physics and Biology you'll literally get your A no problem. What I would advice is, stay away from reading/writing off notes and just stick to the exam papers. The amount of detail in the notes is usually way beyond what they'll ask you for in the exam. If you even do one exam paper in those two subjects a week (seems like a lot but worth it) you're guaranteed the A.

If I could go back I would swap History for Chemistry as I'm going to need Chemistry when I do my course but, as people have said, it's apparently quite difficult for the LC. If you like languages I wouldn't hesitate to do two languages either as the papers are usually extremely manageable if you've put the work in, much easier than a science or academic subject IMO (academic being history and geography).

Hope that helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

DONT DO BUSINESS

(unless you are willing to learn off more definitions and answers than whats in the oxford dictionary.... If your looking for an A1 and are willing to put in the effort than go for buisness)

DO ECONOMICS!

(very very very very nice and doable course. You do not have to do it in school. I only took it up at december, did it outside of school, with only youtube video's to help me, and am very confident of getting an A1 next wednesday)

I do both subjects and thats my opinion.

jenifa wrote: »
    DO BUSINESS!
    I'm repeating my leaving cert (now all honor subjects and dropped the compulsory pass Irish and Maths)
    :)

I'm really starting to lean towards doing business :) I was really worried that after not doing it for junior cert that I'd be behind before I started but after everyone's comments I'm really happy :) how are you able to drop math an Irish? Does that not rule out nearly every college course you could take?

I'm really starting to lean towards doing business :) I was really worried that after not doing it for junior cert that I'd be behind before I started but after everyone's comments I'm really happy :) how are you able to drop math an Irish? Does that not rule out nearly every college course you could take?

If you're repeating and you've passed those 2, you don't need to do them again :pac:

• Advertisement

Mista wrote: »

If you're repeating and you've passed those 2, you don't need to do them again :pac:

That's interesting never knew that :)

That's interesting never knew that :)

Yep :) Although you can do them again for the points...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Do DCG, it's hilariously easy.

Do DCG, it's hilariously easy.

Hated tech graph though, is it much different?

What she said!

There is not a lot of definitions to be learned in business compared to theories in economics. I liked economics when I done it in fifth year, but consider there is more to learn in it compared to business. But thats my personal opinion.
    I really think a subject depends on the book you use and the teacher, whichever one cuts out the waffle and goes straight to the facts, should be used. If you feel your teacher is going too slow (compare to what others teachers in your year for that subject) then follow your gut and read ahead. (Wish I had..!)

What she said!

She?!! :(

What she said!

There is not a lot of definitions to be learned in business compared to theories in economics. I liked economics when I done it in fifth year, but consider there is more to learn in it compared to business. But thats my personal opinion.
    I really think a subject depends on the book you use and the teacher, whichever one cuts out the waffle and goes straight to the facts, should be used. If you feel your teacher is going too slow (compare to what others teachers in your year for that subject) then follow your gut and read ahead. (Wish I had..!)

Did you do junior cert business? :)

She?!! :(

Woops! Mista.. like miss-ta! No?! ohh mista like mister! Sorry! Umm dyslexia..

I did not do Junior Cert business. I took it up for one year, you need no prior knowledge of business to study business Leaving Cert Curriculum. Perhaps just read the chapter ahead of each class so you have an idea of the concepts before the teacher goes through it, then you can ask questions if necessary instead of being lost.. I was a little bit before christmas regarding some chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

You really don't need to have done accounting for Junior Cert in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

DCG is super easy to get an A2 or B1 once you put in the work. The reason its hard to get an A1 is because of presentation marks. In DCG 40% is the project, of the project about 30% is for effort and jut following the guidelines, the other 10% is for presentation which you will always get some for but your unlikely to get full marks there.

The written exam is so easy. Section A nd B are 4 short questions and three long questions. These can only come from 6 different topics. You do 3 of the short questions and 2 of the long question. Each of the 6 topics can be fully revised in about an hour with slideshows from the T4 website. Section C is 5 questions from 5 topics, you only do 2 and the same 5 questions come up every year. Each are all on the T4 website also.

Japanese, History and Art are dificult to get an A in. Physics and Chem can be easy enough to do well in if you understand it and can do massive ammounts of learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Undecided95

STEER CLEAR OF HISTORY. So much work, learning and stress. I'd recommend economics. We'll have the course finished by xmas and have 6 months for revision. Short course and the stuff is relatively easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

i would have to agree with the last poster if you like history then go for it otherwiseSTEER CLEAR OF HISTORY. a lot of work, learning and stress ahead of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I really need advice on what to pick for my 7th subject, I've already picked
    Irish
    English
    Math
    Geog
    Biology
    German

I Can pick between DCG, art, chemistry, physics, japanese and history for my seventh subject. What would be easiest To get points in??? All advice needed :)

Actually if you felt up to it I think History would be a great one to do. It would help develop many of the skills that you will need whilst studying and practising law: critical thinking, inductive and deductive reasoning etc. It would prepare you far better for college, although I know you're more worried about points.

Also - have you considered doing Classical Studies either outside school or on your own? Ancient Greek and Roman laws (particularly Greek) are the basis for modern western law, which will certainly be your starting point in college. Aspects of these are covered in the Classical Studies course along with the history, myths, literature and art. If you're good at English and have some interest I think you could do very well at it. And again it will develop the critical thinking and reasoning skills that will be required of you in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

Business is a pretty decent subject to do, and you really don't need to have done JC business.

I did JC business, but by the time I got into 5th Year I had forgotten everything we did. Now, having finished 5th Year, I haven't gotten anything less than an A2 in any business test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Is History really that bad? I loved it at JC, especially History from 1900 on wards, it was interesting and I found the politics of communism and fascism interesting and easy to learn. Would I be right to pick it for LC or is it really that much more work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Well, remember things in JC history like stressing over whether to learn the Berlin Blockade or the Cuban Missile Crisis?

They are tiny aspects of essays in LC history, and there's a ridiculous amount of information to learn. Even in the exam itself you have pretty much no time to think, despite its emphasis on critical thinking. I did history and dont think I did too badly in it but dear god, picking it was the biggest mistake of my life, and I quite liked JC history!

You dont just learn about politics of fascism and communism, you learn Stalin, Hitler, Lenin, Mussolini, France, Britain, how they got to power, what they did, how they kept control. That includes economic and social and foreign policies but even at that you could get something dreadful in the exam like "Which had the worst interwar problems, Britain or Germany? Argue your case referring to both" - that's so broad that you simply don't have time to do it properly in the exam and you'll lose out on OE marks.

I know I'm making it sound terrifying but I really really really would never advise someone to do history. It's dreadful. :pac:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Well, remember things in JC history like stressing over whether to learn the Berlin Blockade or the Cuban Missile Crisis?

They are tiny aspects of essays in LC history, and there's a ridiculous amount of information to learn. Even in the exam itself you have pretty much no time to think, despite its emphasis on critical thinking. I did history and dont think I did too badly in it but dear god, picking it was the biggest mistake of my life, and I quite liked JC history!

You dont just learn about politics of fascism and communism, you learn Stalin, Hitler, Lenin, Mussolini, France, Britain, how they got to power, what they did, how they kept control. That includes economic and social and foreign policies but even at that you could get something dreadful in the exam like "Which had the worst interwar problems, Britain or Germany? Argue your case referring to both" - that's so broad that you simply don't have time to do it properly in the exam and you'll lose out on OE marks.

I know I'm making it sound terrifying but I really really really would never advise someone to do history. It's dreadful. :pac:

Oh god, it's the only subject I can get an A in. Basically fecked then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Troxck wrote: »
    Oh god, it's the only subject I can get an A in. Basically fecked then...

ok time for a positive look on history. while the whole course is extremely long, you can narrow it down a lot. the timing in the exams is terrible, far too harsh, but with a bit of practice you can do your essays in the time given. if you have a love for the subject then you should do it

ok time for a positive look on history. while the whole course is extremely long, you can narrow it down a lot. the timing in the exams is terrible, far too harsh, but with a bit of practice you can do your essays in the time given. if you have a love for the subject then you should do it

Thanks for the positivity but so much negativity is putting me off. Hmm

• Advertisement
Advertisement