Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My second video Montage

Options
  • 12-06-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

This is probably the wrong forum for this but I can never find the right ones.

I made my first montage of holiday footage (using windows lives movie maker), and threw in some snippets of songs ...none no more than a minute here and there. It took hours (im just really new to the whole editing video software)...anyway, my final result was a 3min masterpiece. I uploaded to youtube - they mailed me saying EMI may own some copyright and that there will be ads on my video...grand...that didnt bother me....it plays fine and I was a huge hit (with my 5 friends!!!)

I made my second MONTAGE - alittle fancier, and longer...Same sort of ideas. It took a fair bit of effort - i uploaded this, then got another email from youtube saying EMI and some other company may own copyright and that some elements may be blocked.
    Turns out the video is now blocked in 90% of the western world!!!
    Im not trying to infringe on other peoples copyright, nor am I looking for ways to illegally change my soundtrack so it does appear....I was just a bit ignorant to the whole process, given that whenever i wanna hear a tune, i youtube it and get millions of amateur versions......

Similarly, if i youtube the three songs in my montage, I find millions or results from amateurs, that "must be" infringing on these copyrights - and they also have the itunes link under the video....so my question is, are some versions of songs permitted / why are some videos allowed through the net and some not. Are all these other users tweaking the pitch (iv seen clips on how to do this) to get through the filters.....ultimately, im really just letting off steam as my masterpiece will remain unseen :(:(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They may be using audioswap, when you go to edit a video inside youtube you have the option of legally using a list of music. Maybe they did get permission to use the song, it's not unheard of, if unlikely.

I'm not sure how youtube decides which illegal copies to leave up and which to take down. I think it's able to find the songs from the melody so it wouldn't matter what pitch it's at or who's singing it.

Just find legal music, there's actually a whole heap out there even from well known artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonathan2340

I just like michael jackson's music. Lady gaga is also my favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Grass Hopper

Start the offending song 30 seconds in and there wont be a problem.
    Apparently Youtube only scans the first 30seconds of each upload for copyright infringements.
    I cant verify this with any online link or proof only to say it has worked for me on a song they blocked me from using ;)

Advertisement