Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental Marathoner - 2012 DCM 3.30 goal

Options
  • 12-06-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭

Since today is the first day of my "official" training for the 2012 DCM, I thought I'd start a log to record it. A bit of history first, to explain the title. I did the 2011 DCM in 3:59:48, 12 seconds under my goal time. Four hours was an arbitrary figure, pretty much picked out of nowhere by me as a 'respectable' time to complete the marathon in. I was absolutely chuffed that I did it, given the way it came about. ON the 2nd of November 2010 three of us sat in the work canteen having lunch. One of us had completed the marathon the previous day and we were talking about it. He went through it pretty much mile-by-mile, detailing how he felt, how fast he went etc. At the end of lunch, my other mate said that he'd love to do a marathon before he was 40. At that moment, I hadn't really expressed any interest, in fact, I wasn't really that interested. It was only the next day when they were talking about it again and my marathon-running mate put it up to us. It was pretty much a case of "if you want to do it, do it, don't just talk about it".
    I'm a sucker for a challenge like that, so I decided that I would. At the time, I was heading slowly towards 14 stone, smoking and hadn't done any exercise of note for many years. Then came the first run. I managed do run 1 mile, before having to stop for air/stretching/puking etc. After a wee break, we went back the mile we had come, so that was two 1-mile runs on my first day. And that was it, I was hooked. I gradually built it up, did the mandatory 10K in the GIR and then another one close afterwards. and then it kind of leveled off. It was coming into the summer and I let it slip a bit. Went on holidays for the first two weeks of July and did a couple of short runs in the heat of the Turkish sun. When I got back, I got in a bit of a panic - I had kind of made my mind up not to do the marathon. I had lots of excuses - I hadn't been doing enough training up to that time, my feet were sore all the time, it was too late to start now etc. While the excuses were comforting to me for that decision, I felt despondent that I had decided not to do it. I was disappointed in myself. The only thing for it was to register for the DCM and that way I'd have to do it. So I did that and then got hold of the HH Novice 1 plan, which had to be tailored for the reduced time I had.
    Even though I had a shortened training plan with not enough base, the fact that I missed two LSRs and spent the weekend two weeks before the marathon in Tenerife boozing with the lads, I felt that I had not given enough on the day. I felt like I had done the bare minimum in the run itself to get under 4 hours. Of course on the day, it didn't feel like that, but I think that I ran within myself. I think this was mainly due to a fear of bonking and not finishing, but I know now that I could've done better.
    So this year, the goal is 3.30. Now, I know that this isn't a fast time by a lot of people's standards, but if I achieve it, I'll be pretty happy.
    Here is the plan
    7180279181_cc99b173b1_b.jpg

It's tailored somewhat to fit in a family holiday (during which I will run, but just to maintain, not to progress) and another weekend in Span to celebrate my 40th Birthday. Year to date, I have done over 500 miles, so I have a much better base than last year. I have also done a lot more 'quality' miles and a lot more hills.

Week 1
    Target Miles - 28
    Actual Miles - 5 - first run a day early. 37 mins. Comfortable apart from the new shoes.
    Weight - 12st 1/2 ounce
    Injuries - niggling sciatica-like pain in right leg. Few blisters from breaking in a new pair of runners last night by going sockless :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the goal. Hoping for sub 3:30 myself in Berlin in September so will be interested to follow your log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Best of luck with it!! You've a good plan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Best of luck cambo gueno. Will be following with interest (<3:30 is monkey on my back). One thing about your plan, you've given yourself one week too many, check out week's 17 and 18. I only noticed cause I know there are 20 weeks from this week until DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

outforarun wrote: »
    Best of luck cambo gueno. Will be following with interest (<3:30 is monkey on my back). One thing about your plan, you've given yourself one week too many, check out week's 17 and 18. I only noticed cause I know there are 20 weeks from this week until DCM.

Ah nice one, well spotted. Thanks mate! I'll have print it again now for the fridge :). Good luck with your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Good luck with the training, good to see you back for another go at the DCM.

Lots from last year back on again for another go this year. Improvers Thread here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Best of luck with the training. I'll be aiming for a similar time in DCM myself so will be keeping a keen eye on your log.

13/6/12
    5.15 miles, average pace 8.28 per mile.
    Easy jog really. Spent some time wondering about the purpose of the Wednesday run in my marathon plan. Tuesday and Thursday are for "quality" sessions, intervals and tempo. Saturday is a marathon pace run and Sunday is LSR. Wednesday seems like a pointless exercise. I guess it's like a mini-LSR. Plan on using it to practice perfecting my form. Cadence of 180 steps per minute. Arms bent at 90 degrees, working in conjunction with the legs. Back straight and head up. Exhale every 4 steps.
    All that and looking at running chicks :D

14/6/2012

5 miles @ a rosanna-rivalling 6.40 pace.
    Nice day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Best of luck with the plan. Are you including some races in your plan? Good way to see how training is going.

irfrm wrote: »
    Best of luck with the plan. Are you including some races in your plan? Good way to see how training is going.

Thanks irfrm. I am doing the marathon series 10k and 10 mile. I am away for the half on 15th September :(. I might have a look at the Athlone 3/4 in October too. And maybe the Port tunnel 10k, that sounds interesting

• Advertisement

5 miles @ 8:10. Pacing all over the shop after a skinful last night

8 miles @ 8 a.m. @ 8.45 average pace. Felt good throughout, apart from a pain in my 2/3rd toes on right foot. Weird one. Felt it afterwards too.

:mad: absolutely poxy run last night. I hate those nights when everything feels wrong. Feet were sore, legs were tired, had a constant stitch throughout and I felt like I was going to sh*t myself at any time. I had planned on doing 4x1miles @ around 6.00 pace. I think I managed about 3 x .5 miles at that pace and the rest of it was just plodding between 7.30 and 9.00. Gave up after 4 miles. Hope it's just one of those days and an easy enough 5 miles will sort me out tonight.

kinda back on track with an easy 5 miles @ 8.20 avg pace. For a wee change I had my stitch on the other side :rolleyes:. Still a bit worried about my sore foot, not bad enough to stop, but less pleasant than not being sore. Looking out the window now, can't wait for my run today, weather is just lovely

21/6/12
    6 miles at lunchtime, 5 @ 7.08 plus .5 warmup and cool down. Happy enough with that as it was a pretty hilly route.

22/6/12

4.5 miles @ 7.45. Feeling a bit tired and have had a pain in the inside of my right knee. Seems muscular. Day off today will hopefully sort it out before a planned 9 miles around the trails on Howth head tomorrow morning. Hope the weather plays nice

up at 6.45 this morning and out the door at 7, headed out to Howth. This has to be my favourite running route(s) of all places. Starting off from the Dart station, you follow the road around to the end of the harbour. Take a sharpish right and you get the first hint of what you're in for with the first of the hills, heading up to Balscadden car park. From there it's up the cliff walk. Fantastic views and a lovely cliff trail. After 2 miles you round a bend to get a stunning view of the Baily lighthouse with Dublin bay and the mountains in the background. Another mile or so and say goodbye to the cliffs and hello to the bush. The next mile or so is really narrow, muddy trails, quite overgrown at the moment. Lots of nettle stings and thistle pricks and an up and down run right down to the beach. From the beach you head back up towards the top of the hill. I find this part really tough and had to walk for a bit. You cross the golf course and through the bog of frogs. This is really quite eerie, you expect to run into gandalf on your way through. After this, you join the red trail, back up towards the summit. This is a pretty dull section, through a quarry down some roads until you get back to the cliffs. From here, it's back down to the harbour and a well deserved carton of chocolate milk :D. I would thoroughly recommend this run to anyone...

10.15 miles @ 9.30. Tired and mucky afterwards and sore feet, but grand apart from that

25/6/12
    5.5 miles with 10 X 300M intervals @ approx. 6.00 pace. I'd say the 6.00 pace is about average for what I did. They started off at around 5.30 pace, but by the end they were more like 6.30 pace :D

Brought the kids to the playground in Ringsend park and while they played I did laps. The park itself is roughly triangular and the path around it is approx. 900 metres. Once warmed up after 2 laps I ran alternating sides of the triangle at pace slowing to a jog in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Al0502

Best of luck with the training.
    I will be keeping a close eye on your progress as I am hoping for a similar time in Berlin in September

5 and bit miles at lunchtime @ 8.30 pace. A nice easy run made unnecessarily more difficult by the heat and humidity. The conditions also made for an extra red face and much more sweating than usual. And the now standard question when I get back to my desk - "did you get sunburned ?" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Spent the last two weeks (up to Saturday) in Crete. I had great intentions when I went over, bringing my gear and promising myself that I would run every 2nd day, just to keep my hand in. Nothing too stressful. This worked fine for about 8 days, doing between 3 & 4 miles at a very slow pace in the blistering heat (it was 36 degrees in the shade on Friday). This included about a mile of uphill, around the winding roads of the mountain behind where we stayed. The late nights and much food and drink go to me however and I last ran a week ago today.

Got home on Saturday @ 5 a.m. and slept til about midday. Did 5 miles in the afternoon at approx. 7.45 pace. This really took it out of me, assuming the overindulgence of two weeks caused this (I came back 5.5 lbs heavier :o).
    Sunday morning did 10.5 miles at avg 8.30 pace, with two miles in the middle at 7.00 pace.
    Still feeling a pain in my right knee. Not too sore, by may need attention if it doesn't go away soon. Possibly related to a pain from my lower back, down my right leg ?
    Looking forward to the Fingal 10k on Sunday and then hopefully dropping about 10 lbs over the next few months

Great weather forecast for today, so I set my alarm for 6.30 to get my run in before work. Got up and out and after about 2 mins running the heavens opened and it lashed for about half an hour :mad:.

5 miles in 39 mins, with the three middle miles @ 7.20 pace. Felt good, if a little tired, with no niggles

What a lovely evening last night. Did a nice easy 6 miles in just under 50 minutes. Lovely balmy weather, had to slow myself down on several occasions. Will hopefully have some of that speed for this evening for a fast five miles home from work

5-ish miles this evening, on the way home from work. 37.40 minutes, with 5 x .5 mile intervals @ 6.30 pace. 'twas warm out

Nice 4-mile loosener last evening prior to the Fingal 10k tomorrow. very slow pace, 35 mins total, with a few stops/walks and a couple of strides to stretch the legs. Aiming for a sub-40 tomorrow, but will be happy enough with 42, which would knock 7 minutes off my previous road 10k time

Fingal 10k this morning. Disappointed in myself with my time - 42.45. Started off OK, got the first three miles in @ 6.30 pace, but then I tired very quickly.
    Still, it's inside the McMillan projected time of 44 mins that is supposed to be the equivalent of a 3.30 marathon and the t-shirt is very nice :D

After reading some of the feedback on the Fingal 10k I feel a bit better about my time. Looks like I wasn't the only one who found it tough going.
    Up with the lark this morning for a 5 miler. Really felt stiff and tired in my legs for the first mile and only managed to do it in 8.30. Picked up the pace after that and the next 4 miles were progressively quicker, finishing the last mile in 6.55, before a warmdown.
    Hopefully heading for the hills tomorrow for an 8-miler around the Two-and Three-rocks. Hope the sun comes out!

25-7 4.5 miles around Ticknock @ a v. slow pace :D. Trying out a new (to me) trail which goes from Enniskerry road up through Barnacullia up to Three Rock. Nice trail but quite muddy at the start and the flies were a complete pain in the a*se.

26-7 6 miles. Slow warmup, then 4 faster and then a warm down.

28-7 6 (and a bit) miles. An out and back run from my house to the Poolbeg lighthouse @ 8 min pace. 'Twas fine and dandy on the way out, but the wind on the way back in was quite tough to run into.

30-7 12 miles @ approx. 8.45 pace. Out to the end of Dun Laoighaire pier and back made for a pleasant enough run. Got caught in a few showers, but nothing too bad. Brought no water, which might have contributed to feeling a bit crampy on the way back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Three Rock
    Poolbeg lighthouse
    Dun Laoighaire

3 of my currently most visited running spots! I'd swear you were following me!

I think I know the trail you're talking about going up through Barnacullia. Is it through a fence at the bottom of Burrow Road?

Enjoy your step-back/recovery week!

• Advertisement

I wasn't consciously following you, honest !!!

Not sure of the name of that road, but it's a gate just off the enniskerry road just at the belarmine estate.

Advertisement