Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental Marathoner - 2012 DCM 3.30 goal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yep, planning on one on Sunday, early doors (although I may have to go to Mass :(). Flexible enough too as regards location, but please don't make me do 4 laps of the PP !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

menoscemo wrote: »
    Pretty flexible on lactation and pie....

fyp!

I'm off to London this weekend so hopefully will get a long one in around Chiswick. Any use to you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yep, planning on one on Sunday, early doors (although I may have to go to Mass :(). Flexible enough too as regards location, but please don't make me do 4 laps of the PP !

Sure let me know your plans and I will see if i can hook up, we can do a lap from clontarf out to howth or whetever you want. I'll let you know If i have any exact plans myself.

belcarra wrote: »
    fyp!

I'm off to London this weekend so hopefully will get a long one in around Chiswick. Any use to you??

ehhh......no

Sure let me know your plans and I will see if i can hook up, we can do a lap from clontarf out to howth or whetever you want. I'll let you know If i have any exact plans myself.

My usual 20 mile route would take me from the East Link, up north quay, up NCR, through PP, Chapelizod, Ballyfermot, Walkinstown, Terenure, churchtown, dundrum, Clonskeagh, Donnybrook and back. We could hook up anywhere on that route if you want. I find it much more interesting than laps or an out and back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi Cambo

I find your posts very interesting and well done on your awesome DCM time this year!

Regarding running on an empty stomach. This is something I love the idea of.. getting straight out of bed and hitting the road.

2 things though.
    1.. I normally have to wait a while and let the oul stomach wake up and use the loo before I head out.. have had to walk home a few times as I couldnt run for fear of having an accident :D

2. I find any longer than 8-10 miles Im fairly wrecked with no food. Does this happen to you?

Also. got a check up recently and was chatting to the doctor. She is a runner too and swears by a getting up and having a coffe / espresso etc and then going for a run. The Caffine gives you the wake up you need without actually having to put anything in your stomach.

Keep up the good work and happy running :)

My usual 20 mile route would take me from the East Link, up north quay, up NCR, through PP, Chapelizod, Ballyfermot, Walkinstown, Terenure, churchtown, dundrum, Clonskeagh, Donnybrook and back. We could hook up anywhere on that route if you want. I find it much more interesting than laps or an out and back

I was just onto Marthastew and we have a tentative plan to meet up in DunLaoghaire/Sandycove on Sunday. Would that be any good for you (I think you are in the area?)
    Only problem is it might not start until 1pmish...

I was just onto Marthastew and we have a tentative plan to meet up in DunLaoghaire/Sandycove on Sunday. Would that be any good for you (I think you are in the area?)
    Only problem is it might not start until 1pmish...

That might suit. Go ahead anyway, as I said I might need to go to a confirmation prep mass on Sunday morning, so if that was the case, 1pm would probably be perfect. Will know better closer to the time. Would be nice to have a bit of company for the long runs

That might suit. Go ahead anyway, as I said I might need to go to a confirmation prep mass on Sunday morning, so if that was the case, 1pm would probably be perfect. Will know better closer to the time. Would be nice to have a bit of company for the long runs

Ok, I'll pop up a message on the group run thread when we get it finalised and drop you a link in here...

doughef wrote: »
    Hi Cambo

I find your posts very interesting and well done on your awesome DCM time this year!

Regarding running on an empty stomach. This is something I love the idea of.. getting straight out of bed and hitting the road.

2 things though.
    1.. I normally have to wait a while and let the oul stomach wake up and use the loo before I head out.. have had to walk home a few times as I couldnt run for fear of having an accident :D

2. I find any longer than 8-10 miles Im fairly wrecked with no food. Does this happen to you?

Also. got a check up recently and was chatting to the doctor. She is a runner too and swears by a getting up and having a coffe / espresso etc and then going for a run. The Caffine gives you the wake up you need without actually having to put anything in your stomach.

Keep up the good work and happy running :)

Erm thanks! :o

I know what you mean about the first think in the morning. If anything a cup of coffee always helps to 'get things moving'. Normally I try to get that side of things out of the way the night before or else if I am running straight out of bed, I wouldn't do more than 10 miles anyway. I would do the longer runs after lunchtime after having breakfast earlier (about 4 hours or so).
    You do feel a bit wrecked, or at least you think you feel it, but it passes quite quickly. You also get hunger pangs, but they go away quickly too. Definitely it's something you need to build up, you can't just go out and do 20 miles (well you probably could , but I bet it wouldn't be pleasant :D)

• Advertisement

We have agreed that run for Sunday.
    Details here
    Hopefully you can meet up with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Hey Cambo,

I had a 3.58 2011 DCM and a 3.28 2012 DCM. Notice any patterns??? :)

What are you plans for 2013? Have you any races targetted?

guinang wrote: »
    Hey Cambo,

I had a 3.58 2011 DCM and a 3.28 2012 DCM. Notice any patterns??? :)

What are you plans for 2013? Have you any races targetted?

stalking much ?

Current plans are to do the Donadea 50k, which would be my first race further than marathon distance. Depending on how that goes I am seriously thinking of the Wicklow Way ultra in March. And depending no how that goes, the Causeway Ultra (I think it's called) in September/October.
    Hopefully I'll get a few 10k and IMRA races in during the year too. I have a 10k PB of 42 mins from early last year, so I would be looking to get that to below 40. I'm ending last year/starting this year a lot fitter that the previous year and also doing more 'quality' training, so hopefully that will stand to me.

The overall goal I think is to get off the roads and into the hills

stalking much ?

The overall goal I think is to get off the roads and into the hills

eh? You're posting on a public forum - your profile is meant to be stalked ;)

Obviously, I'm not stalking enough otherwise I would have noted from your logs that you're going down the Ultra route. My madness hasn't strayed that far north yet. Best of luck with the goals.

eh? You're posting on a public forum - your profile is meant to be stalked ;)

Obviously, I'm not stalking enough otherwise I would have noted from your logs that you're going down the Ultra route. My madness hasn't strayed that far north yet. Best of luck with the goals.

I meant were you stalking me during the DCM :D

8.5 miles this evening with some folks from on here. Nice to put faces to usernames :D. Ran out from Johnny Foxes Dow to join the WW up as far as the turn off to Prince Williams Seat. Felt good to get a decent bit of hill into the legs.
    I also got to see first hand the difference between a good head torch and mine, which is one of the cheap- ass Chinese ones. Mine was pretty useless, shining upwards in to narrow a beam. At least now I will know what to look for when getting a 'proper' lamp.

16 miles today @ 8:45 pace. I was planning on 18, but the legs were heavy and while I was out I decided the with 5 weeks still to go til Donadea, I can still get another couple of long runs in next week and the week after.

Brought the gear into work today on the off-chance that I might get out at lunchtime for a few miles. Turns out that the busyness of last week had subsided and my boss was out sick so I was free and clear! Lovely fresh day so I headed out on my new favourite workday route - up to Barnacullia via the Slate Cabin road. Was feeling my calves a bit, not sure why, especially on the uphills so I slowed up a bit. At one stage heading up to the Blue Light I was doing about 10.00 minute pace. Once it leveled off a bit the calves stopped singing and I was able to speed up a bit. On the way back down the other side towards the Enniskerry Road I was able to a decent pace going. I saw a heap of deer (not sure if that's the right collective for deer) in a field, which I'd never seen before so close to 'civilisation'. Also found kilgobbin Lane and saw the old Kilgobbin church, which despite working about a mile away for the last 10 years, I had never seen before.
    Finished off with a couple of nice easy downhill, wind at my back miles and in for a shower and very nice lunch

7.03 miles @ 8.03 pace.

Garmin link

Less than 5 weeks to go now so miles is the name of the game for a couple of weeks. Rare early finish in work meant I was able to collect the kids early , get the home and homeworked and fed and still get out earlier than I was expecting. Got 10 miles in with the first 5 slower at an average of 8.20 pace and the second 5 at average of 7.40 pace. Overall 10 miles @ 7.58 pace.

I have decided that while Donadea is a worthy enough goal and should be motivation in itself, my real goal is to stay ahead of Krusty in the 1000-mile challenge :D

One can always dream...

Hey Cambo. Just wondering whats your mp? What your planned ultra pace? I know nothing of ultra running so just interested to see how the extra miles are managed.

• Advertisement

Hey Cambo. Just wondering whats your mp? What your planned ultra pace? I know nothing of ultra running so just interested to see how the extra miles are managed.

I know nothing of it myself as this is my first one, but I reckon I'd be looking at 8.15-8.30 pace, but that really depends on how many miles I can get in before the day

On what can only be described as a soft evening, I headed out to Shankill to meet some other boardsies for a Krusty-guided trip along the DMW to the Scalp. I don't know what the climb was in terms of numbers, but I felt comfortable enough on the way up. The surfaces varied from road to gravel trail to forest paths, rocks and at one point what looked and felt like a stream of mud. I knew the Carrickgollagan and Barnaslingan areas reasonably well having run around them before, but I didn't know how to get there on foot, so it was great to get the guided tour from the very start of the DMW.
    Whilst I felt comfortable throughout the run, by the time I got home and had a shower and a cuppa, my legs started to feel quite tired. I am assuming this is was from the soft, muddy surfaces. Lower calves are still a touch tight this morning.
    Gear-wise, my newish waterproof, breathable jacket worked a treat as I was pretty dry underneath when we had finished. Shoes were sufficiently grippy in all but the muddiest parts. Head-torch continues to be a problem as there is no beam directional adjustment which means having to look down at the ground to get light right in front of me. Neck muscles were a little stiff last night because of this.
    I was a little disappointed that the run was as short as it was (~7 miles), but given the weather conditions, I wasn't prepared to run any more after we finished the trail run...

Got my first twenty in today since before DCM. Had intended to do it on empty, but when I came back from the track this morning, cold and wet, there was a nice cup of tea and big plate of protein in the form of rashers, sausages, eggs and beans. Obviously I couldn't say no to that!
    Route was one I hadn't done before - Ringsend to Kilternan via Goatstown, so it included a few decent hills. legs felt a bit tired, particularly the outsides of my ankles/calves. I guess that was from Thursday's trail run.

20.02 miles @ 8.37 pace avg.

Working from home today, didn't want to get caught anywhere near Sandyford Industrial Estate in that weather. God knows it's bad enough normally, but throw in a light dusting of snow and it's a disaster zone. So, instead of a run up to Barnacullia as planned, I got a nice run around town. Probably not the best idea as I felt good and was going nicely, but I didn't have a planned route in my head when leaving the house. Ended up on Baggot street, which slowed me down a good bit with the pedestrian traffic. Still, managed to get 5 miles in at an avg pace of 7.28, with the last mile dipping just under the 7.00 minute mark, once I had clear paths again. Damn you pedestrians!!!

10.2 miles this evening. Took a route I'd never done. Home to Whitehall and back via town, drumcondra, killester ( I think) and clontarf. Decent uphill drag from Gardner street to Collins avenue meant an average of 8.15 miles for the first 5 miles and 7.45 for the latter 5.
    Met Belcarra on Collins Avenue, although I think I just scared him ! ( that was me in the yellow jacket who waved).

10 miles in 79 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I hadn't a clue who it was! I wouldn't recognise you without any hills around!

7.3 miles at lunchtime @ approx. 8m pace. Did more chatting than running really...

Goddamn it, I did a stupid.

Packed my gear in a hurry this morning with the intention of doing a ten mile roundabout run home from work. When getting changed I realised that I forgot to bring socks, so went sockless. Not a good idea. About three miles in, I started feeling hotspots on both feet, right between the ball of my foot and the outside. Cut the run short to 7 miles and now have two lovely blisters, one on each foot. Looks like I will need to invest in some compeed before a long run on Saturday.

7 miles in 53 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It's a fine art organising the logistics of running gear, I thought I was the only one who makes these mistakes! Are you running 6 days a week now? Something like 50+ miles a week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

right.............most obvious question from me.........how'd you change your name? (thinking of similar!)

Advertisement