Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental Marathoner - 2012 DCM 3.30 goal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It's a fine art organising the logistics of running gear, I thought I was the only one who makes these mistakes!
    I doubt it. I've done it a few times now, bit it's usually a hat or gloves or something else 'non-essential'
    Are you running 6 days a week now? Something like 50+ miles a week?
    5 days. I likes me pints of a Friday evening and a Sunday afternoon :D.

right.............most obvious question from me.........how'd you change your name? (thinking of similar!)

Sent you a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

cheers. Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

right.............most obvious question from me.........how'd you change your name? (thinking of similar!)

Is RunningKing not good enough for you? You better change it quick before RunningSupremeMaster is taken ;)

Is RunningKing not good enough for you? You better change it quick before RunningSupremeMaster is taken ;)

"TheRunningDaddy"

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    "TheRunningDaddy"

I like that one..........

Actually - when I meet fellow boardsies I feel like a plank saying "Hi, I'm RunningKing"..........

My surname is King so it felt ok at the time when meeting Boardsies was something I hadn't considered.

TheRunningDaddy

RunningGod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

RunningGod?

RunningAdonis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

tang1 wrote: »
    RunningAdonis?

The Greek god of beauty? Nah, have you ever met RunningKing?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The Greek god of beauty? Nah, have you ever met RunningKing?! ;)

Yip, met him at Tom Brennan 5k New Yrs Day. You make a good point on the beauty thing alright!!

• Advertisement

eehhhhh........I'm right here ya know

Apologies PaulieC for the disruption in your log.................carry on as you were.

So the plan for today was to run out to Howth and run around the summit and back down the Sutton side and home. That would have been a 21 mile run with a large hill in the middle. However, about a mile after leaving the house my legs were dead and my right calf was dead sore and tight. By the end of the second mile I was renegotiating with myself, with the compromise being ten or twelve miles today and the same again tomorrow. I stopped to stretch my calf and it felt a bit better for a while, while each mile re-evaluating, first ten, then twelve, then fourteen etc. Kept going and eventually got to the end of the beach, which was a relief from the driving wind and horizontal rain. Kept going then until I reached Howth village. I headed around the back of the main street and started climbing, thinking that the hill wasn't that bad. Until I reached the corner and saw the real hill. At this stage, my can of htfu was almost drained so I jogged on til the watch said 10miles and then turned around ��. Coming back to the village, the rain really started coming down and I was totally p1ssed off, knackered and sore. I always carry a €2 coin in my shorts and coming up to the dart station I was very tempted. Very tempted. I ducked into a shop and bought a packet of jellies just so I wouldn't have the money for the train ��. Threw a few jellies in and just plodded home, feeling a bit stronger towards the end.
    Worst run I can remember, but got there in the end.

20 miles in 2h57m. Unexpected pints tonight though, which is nice

Not much done since Saturday, due to a few things - tiredness, having a life, missus working late etc.
    Left the house on Monday evening with plans to do 6 miles. Wasn't in the mood for it, so turned around and went home. 1.5 miles :o
    6 miles there at lunchtime, jebus that wind and rain is poxy. We did a basic squareish loop, but the wind was against us on 3 out of the 4 sides. A load of gickballs. On the plus side, there is a new shower in one of the cubicles in work and it actually works. Like with real, hot water. That was nice...

Not much done since Saturday, due to a few things - tiredness, having a life,

you implying that us who have ran dont have a life? :D

Also - great use of the word "gickballs" - a really underused word, if you ask me.

you implying that us who have ran dont have a life? :D
    No, no, not at all. I was referring to the fact that I was out on Saturday night, hungover on Sunday morning and then went and had dinner in my Mam's house where I ate about a week's worth of food in about 4 hours. No running after that :D

And yes, gickballs is criminally undervalued in today's society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What's the LSR plans this weekend?

I'll be out near your neck of the woods with a few of your fellow crusaders on Saturdat afternoon if you fancy it?

Hmmm, tricky one that. I'm going to a 40th in Drogheda on Friday night and a 50th on Saturday night. I reckon I'll be free only between 2 and 4 on Saturday, so probably only will be able to do about 14 miles or so during that time. What's your arrangements ?

Hmmm, tricky one that. I'm going to a 40th in Drogheda on Friday night and a 50th on Saturday night. I reckon I'll be free only between 2 and 4 on Saturday, so probably only will be able to do about 14 miles or so during that time. What's your arrangements ?

Loose arrangement is to leave Sandycove around 1pm head towards town and then come back after 11 miles.
    All going well we should be finished around 4pm

menoscemo wrote: »
    Loose arrangement is to leave Sandycove around 1pm head towards town and then come back after 11 miles.
    All going well we should be finished around 4pm

nah, definitely not going to make that. Have to drop kids at party in Sandymount at 2 and collect at 4. Pity, would be nice to meet some crusaders, since I never train with them myself :o

Didn't get to run too much this week and when I did, my legs have been dead and calves very sore, right one especially. Felt like that since the start of LSR on Saturday. I think it's because I increased mileage too quickly in January after a lazy December.
    Not sure how I feel about Donadea now, really feel undertrained for it, but it was never going to be anything but a 1st ultra for me and the aim was just to do it. I'll not be going for the win this year :D

In other news, today marks the start of 28 days chocolate/biscuit/cake/white bread free. That should do wonders for the moods :)

• Advertisement

how you finding the Brooks Silence?

how you finding the Brooks Silence?

I've had a pair now for about 20 months. They are just about useable, but I am loathe to throw them out as they are not causing me any issues. There are rips and holes in them, but nothing serious. I'd reckon there's at least 800 miles on them.
    The only thing I found they are not good for is running sockless. Other than that, they are pretty much perfect in every way. I have a fresh pair here in my desk in work for when the first ones eventually run off to the trail in the sky :D

I've had a pair now for about 20 months. They are just about useable, but I am loathe to throw them out as they are not causing me any issues. There are rips and holes in them, but nothing serious. I'd reckon there's at least 800 miles on them.
    The only thing I found they are not good for is running sockless. Other than that, they are pretty much perfect in every way. I have a fresh pair here in my desk in work for when the first ones eventually run off to the trail in the sky :D

+1 on the durabilty of the green silence. I have had a pair for about 20 months now, run at least once a week on them and they are still going strong.
    The rubber on the soles seems very durable as there is hardly a mark on it.

Just racers/session shoes or ?

Just racers/session shoes or ?

Just training shoes for me. Easy and long runs, use them the odd time for speedwork on the track (the hard sole is good I find against the 'bounciness' of the track).
    I see you normally wear support shoes? I am not sure they would suit you as the offer little to no support.

Cheers Meno.

Cheers Meno.

If you normally wear support shoes I am sure these would be the racers that Kev would recommend you:
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-BST5M2.html
    Nice transition type shoe to racers, not too light and still offer decent support for a pronator.

they were on my feet, felt really good, and I was very tempted...... They're good for longer races too.

If I hadn't been buying a rake of gear, I'd of bought them.

Sorry (again) Paulie for taking over your log :-)

Didn't get to run too much this week and when I did, my legs have been dead and calves very sore, right one especially. Felt like that since the start of LSR on Saturday.

A much quieter week (followed by two nights on the lash at the weekend) meant that the legs were almost back on track. Calves/Achilles still a bit sore, but the tiredness seems to have sorted itself out. Twelve miles yesterday at 8.30 pace, all very comfortable.
    Still, definitely not enough miles in really for Donadea, so it's going to be a slog. Just keep having to think of it as a marathon with a warm-down :eek:

• Advertisement

Last week (if I remember rightly) consisted of 4 x 5-6 mile runs plus a 10 mile @ 7.30 pace.
    Yesterday met up with Marthastew (& misterstew), meno, Digger and Claralara (I think) for a sodden 14 mile run along the coast. It was great to meet new folks and despite the weather, I really enjoyed the run which was 7 miles @ ~8.30 pace and 7 miles @ ~7.40 pace. Went home, had a scalding hot shower, made a massive dinner and off to the pub full of optimism for the rugby. The optimism faded pretty quickly, but had a good afternoon/evening before heading home for a leftover roast pork sandwich followed by a couple of hours slouching on the sofa being passively educated by Brian Cox :D

Advertisement