Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental Marathoner - 2012 DCM 3.30 goal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Ten days into my pre-Lent Lent (eating no sweets/chocolate/crisps/cake/biscuits/white bread/etc.). I weighed myself on the first day (first thing in the morning, after going to the toilet to give a good baseline) and I was 12s 2lbs. This morning I was 11st 9lbs. If I have my maths correct, that means that I have dropped half a stone. This is shocking to me as it shows me how much sh1te I was eating. And giving that stuff up was the only change I made, everything else remained the same.
    I don't notice it visually, but I'm quite sure that lugging half a stone less around Donadea forest for 50k will make things easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

PaulieC wrote: »
    I weighed myself on the first day (first thing in the morning, after going to the toilet to give a good baseline) and I was 12s 2lbs. This morning I was 11st 9lbs. If I have my maths correct, that means that I have dropped half a stone.

That must have been some sh1te :D

Donadea 50k

Where to even start...I've read a few reports from other runners here, so I'll not repeat all the same stuff, except to say that it was a great race, fantastically well organized and run, well done Anto and all the volunteers.

Arrived well early as I didn't know how long it would take to get there, but the provided directions were spot on and I managed not to get lost, which was great (and probably a first for me). Got registered (nice goodie bag and Tee) and went for a wander to get my bearings. Sat back in the car for 20 minutes with the heated seat on as my back was quite sore when I woke up in the morning. I imagined that the heat eased the pain a bit and at 9.45, I got my sh1t together and headed down to the table to leave my goodies (I was a bit underprepared as I had to go to a removal on Friday evening, so I just grabbed a load of stuff from the cupboard at home - 2 packlets of Belvita biscuits, Rice Krispie squares, Wispa and water). I was in a bit of a world of my own before the start, I suppose I was nervous, so I kept my head down and headed to the start line.
    I had planned on doing an 8.30 pace, so after the initial start shenanigans, I settled down at that pace, in a group of three or four. Got chatting to a chap who turned out to be grahamor and before I knew it, we were finished the first three laps. I was feeling fine so I didn't stop at the aid table, except to grab a bottle of water from the volunteers. On the fourth lap I started feeling a stabbing pain in my left calf. It started to subside and became a kind of dull ache. I stopped on lap 5 to have a pee and tried to stretch the calf to see if I could loosen it up, but I couldn't isolate the specific area. It wasn't hurting too badly at this stage so I got back on track and fell in with two guys from the 100 mara club. These guys terrified me with tales of their 30 marathons a year.
    Before I knew it, 6 laps had passed and I had nothing more that a half bottle of water and a couple of the cups of dentist mouthwash that the SiS guys were handing out. During the 7th lap I started to feel hungry. The two 100 mara guys had pulled ahead and this was my first time running alone, so I did a quick inventory. The calf was still sore, but everything else was OK. I then made the mistake of thinking that finishing was going to be easy as it hadn't been bad thus far. Doh! Needless to say it was all downhill from then on :D.
    The winner passed me and I had to run through the a finish line with everyone cheering and clapping for him, while I still had three laps to go. I stopped and got half a wispa from my bag and set off on lap 8 slowly, nursing a deep sense of self-pity at how unfair the world was as I still had three laps to go. When the chocolate was gone, I told myself to cop on and started running again. Up to the end of lap 7, my pacing was the epitome of consistency:

0:27:39 0:26:03 0:26:14 0:26:07 0:26:28 0:26:03 0:27:14

I knew I was losing a bit of time now as I had walked a bit on lap 8 and I could feel myself slowing up on the "undulations" at the back of the course (which seemed bigger with each passing lap). I also started feeling what was my biggest fear coming into the race - boredom and familiarity. One thing I hate is repetition and I always try to run different routes when I am out as I get bored with routes very easily, so I knew that 10 laps was going to be mentally hard for me to cope with. I think it was at the end of this lap that MarthaStew passed me, I was certainly grateful of the chance to slow down to encourage her to pass me as she was doing so bloody well.
    I decided that now would be the time to get some music on to distract my brain. I stopped at the table to get my mp3 player only to discover that I had left it in the car :eek:. This was deeply upsetting to me and only served to highlight even further the unfairness and injustice of the world! I had to settle for the other half of my wispa as consolation and set off on the last but one lap. This lap had the marathon cutoff, so that was the immediate goal at the start of the lap. I hit the 26.2 mile point in 3:48 and then set out into the previously unknown territory of ultrarunning. It was really just one foot in front of the other stuff at this point. Coming up to the 4k point of the lap the guy there shouted to me that I only had one lap left and to keep going. It was only at this point that I realized that all the people around the course were actually marshals! I had thought that they were just random supporters and family members. Sometimes I surprise myself with just how slow I am on the uptake :D
    Onto the last lap and my only thought was that there was no way I wasn't getting that medal. Pretty uneventful lap apart from the fact that I caught and passed a few people on the way around, including one of the 100 mara club guys who had lost me earlier, so that gave me a bit of a lift. At the 4k point I high-fived the marshal and thanked him for the encouragement and I knew that I was on the home straight. As I got to the last corner, I saw two guys about 20 yards ahead of me and decided to try and catch them. I wouldn't call what I did a sprint finish and I can only imagine what it looked like, but I passed the two lads (who I must add, had no intention of racing me!) just before the line to finish in 4:33 and in 46th place. Pace for the last three laps fell off a good bit compared to the first seven:

0:29:30 0:28:00 0:29:46

It was great to have people at the finish cheering on the finishers, it was very much appreciated. I went over to congratulate Marthastew (and Joe) on a great race and got some Rice Krispie buns and hot chocolate (thanks Joe!), but I started to feel very cold so said my goodbyes and got back to the car for some warm, dry clothes.
    I never felt it at the time, but when I got home and pulled the ZO tape off the inside of my foot (there to prevent blisters), a big chunk of skin came off with it to expose a lovely piece of pink flesh. I made the stupid mistake of getting into the bath with that exposed and it stung like f*ck :eek:.

Overall, I had a great day and delighted to tick a 50k finish off the list. The stiffness is now wearing off and I can still feel my calf, so I'll probably leave the running for a day or so.

Thanks again to all those involved on the day who helped make it such a great day, especially Anto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great race and super read. Well done despite the sore calf. Wispas are the new gels!

Wispas are the new gels!

They are certainly more palatable, but at a mere 140 calories per packet, they don't really pack the same punch. On the flip side, I was happy enough that 140 calories (plus whatever was contained in the SiS drinks) got me from start to finish.

Ah sh1t, while typing the above, I just decided to go for a sub-4 in next year's event. I'll need two Wispas

• Advertisement

feckin' calf.

It started to hurt about 10 miles into Donadea last week and I thought it was just tightness, but it's obviously something more than that. Did very little running in the last week as everytime I ran more than two miles the calf started to really hurt.
    Enforced rest this week I think. Maybe some spinning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Oh no, feckin calf;) I was hoping you'd be joining Mr S and I on a run along the coast soon. If it doesn't clear up in a week you should get it looked at.
    we were near your gaff early on Sunday busting a gut and I was thinking you were probably enjoying a nice leisurely family breakfast:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Oh no, feckin calf;) I was hoping you'd be joining Mr S and I on a run along the coast soon. If it doesn't clear up in a week you should get it looked at.
    we were near your gaff early on Sunday busting a gut and I was thinking you were probably enjoying a nice leisurely family breakfast:)

I did a few miles on Monday night and it felt ok, so I'll try it again tonight. If you're going early on Sunday, let me know, I'll see if I can fit it in among Mother's Day duties ;)

No chance of me having a nice breakfast on Sunday. The two youngest were invited to a birthday party in Sandyford. At 10.30 in the morning. Who the hell has parties at that time (apart from Winston Wolf, but that's a whole 'nother type of party :D ) ??

you scared me there Paulie. Just getting over Wifeys b'day today.

Mothers day is 10th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I did a few miles on Monday night and it felt ok, so I'll try it again tonight. If you're going early on Sunday, let me know, I'll see if I can fit it in among Mother's Day duties ;)

No chance of me having a nice breakfast on Sunday. The two youngest were invited to a birthday party in Sandyford. At 10.30 in the morning. Who the hell has parties at that time (apart from Winston Wolf, but that's a whole 'nother type of party :D ) ??

This Sunday we will be up bright and early but we're heading to Bohermeen:) The following Sunday is Mother's Day as RK points out below. I'm not sure you going for a run is part of Mother's Day duties. Take it from me (a mother;)) the only present Mrs Paulie wants is for you to hand over some cash and take the kids and yourself away for the day:)
    We are doing a really nice group LSR on 9th from Howth if you fancy joining us?
    you scared me there Paulie. Just getting over Wifeys b'day today.

Mothers day is 10th March.

I hope you got her something really nice (see above for ideas if you're stuck;))

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    This Sunday we will be up bright and early but we're heading to Bohermeen:) The following Sunday is Mother's Day as RK points out below. I'm not sure you going for a run is part of Mother's Day duties. Take it from me (a mother;)) the only present Mrs Paulie wants is for you to hand over some cash and take the kids and yourself away for the day:)
    We are doing a really nice group LSR on 9th from Howth if you fancy joining us?

I hope you got her something really nice (see above for ideas if you're stuck;))

Apologies for any panic caused RK. Sure, wasn't it herself that told me it was this Sunday :D. You've hit the nail on the head there regarding her wants MS, taking the kids for the day.

What's the plan for next Saturday ? (and time ?)

whats up Paulie?

Not much at the moment. Just ticking over the last two weeks, not feeling the love much. I have, however, just finished my plan for a 10k, which I reckon is going to be in Kildare in may. Aiming for a sub 40, which is not fast be any lens, but it has eluded me so far, current PB is 42.something. It's an 8-week plan, starting on 18/19 march and contains a lot of intervals and repeats, which I've nit done a lot of before, so it's going to be interesting.
    I'll post the plan on Monday for your critique :-)

Ahh Paulie, I've not done a sub 40 10k and am terrified of the distance. Gimme a marathon any day!
    Although I hope to correct it in April!

so, here's the shiny new 10k plan. I hope it's right as I've broken out the colour printer to get me a fridge-mounted copy :D. Target race is the Kildare 10k on 12th May

8547323497_f80a6c4762_c.jpg

I'm looking forward to starting it as I've been a bit aimless since Donadea. Another two weeks of junk miles before starting.

Right, just registered for the Curragh 10k on May 12th so the plan will come into effect on 1st April (which is a rest day, thank God!).

Also signed up for the UCD 5k on April 6th which should give me a good idea of where I am and how much I need to do. Getting some pressure also from family member to do the Samsung night 10k. I like the technical top and live in the area, but it's a lot of cash for what will be a funrun

I love running.

I just figured out on Saturday why I do. It's not to do with racing as generally I don't like racing. I'll never be more than a mid-packer and that's fine with me, I don't have the time, discipline or inclination to make myself more than I am. Even as a youngster there was nothing I liked better than Tuesday and Thursday nights training with the club, as these nights meant long runs around the streets. It was only 5 miles, but at 14 it felt like a lot more. Also, I don't particularly like the raceday atmospheres. This is moreso at large events like DCM, GIR etc. than at the smaller events. I find crowds strange to be honest, as people act differently than they do as individuals. I've heard it said before that a person is clever, but people are stupid. I don't know if that's true or not, but people definitely act differently when they're in a crowd.
    Neither is it related to fitness. Sure I can appreciate that I am fitter now than I was three years ago when I weighed two stone heavier and smoked. But day-to-day, while sitting at my desk in work or whatever, I don't feel fitter, but there is no doubt that I am.
    No the reason I love running is that it allows me to see places that I wouldn't normally see (while making me fit of course ;) ). I'm lucky where I live in that I am close to the sea, Howth, Killiney, canals, rivers, mountains etc. There's nothing I like better than heading out for a run with just a distance in mind, but not a route. You never know what you might see, from gangs of pyjama'd girls walking down sheriff street, to naked women in cars in the Phoenix park, from the fabulous wealth of Dalkey and Killiney to the less salubrious surroundings of the Royal Canal path, from the peace and solitude of the Dublin mountains to the hustle and bustle of Grafton Street. There is always somewhere new to run, something new to see. To be honest, I'm a bit of a maps and geography nerd, so I love seeing anywhere new.
    My other 'hobby' is photography and not having lived in Dublin all my life, I am amazed at the amount of stuff that the natives take for granted, but it gives me a great sense of wonder. The dubs tend to be quite insular, knowing their locale quite well, but not anywhere else. It perplexes me to talk to natives who've never been to such-and-such a place when it's only up the road.

Anyhow, enough of the waffle. I started my 10k plan last night. It's a week ahead of schedule, but I will probably have to go to Seattle for a week next month (trails in the Cascades and Olympic peninsula hopefully, maybe a visit to the Luna sandals shop) so while I will get to run there, it will be hard to follow any plan. Last night consisted of a 2 mile warmup, 7x400m @ approx. 6.00 pace with 200m recovery plus a mile warmdown (was supposed to be a 2 mile warmdown, but I cut it short as it was freezing and the match was soon starting). The last few reps had me pretty tired, especially as the stretch I picked to do them had a slight incline and was straight into the wind. I think I'll do these reps at the track in future.

In other news, I've become a bit of a running pied piper with various members of my wife's family running with me over the past few weeks. It feels strange to be the running expert, dispensing advice and tips :P, but it's fun and it makes general runs more enjoyable (if not a good deal slower). I've talked three of them into signing up for the Samsung night run in a few weeks time, so I'm on the hook for getting them trained up for it. God love them...

^^ Post of the year Paulie ^^

Weds: 40 Minutes easy, about 4.5 miles. Very easy :D

Thurs: Intervals. Couple of miles warmup then 4x 4mins at approx. 6.15 pace with two minutes in between. Plan said that these intervals should be run at ~162 HR, but while doing warmup, Garmin said HR was at 220 and was doing 9 minute pace :rolleyes:...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Time for a new HR strap.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Time for a new HR strap.
    It's less than 6 months old. It settled down after the first interval i.e. HR fell back to 130ish. I often see huge HR numbers for the first mile or two and I believe that this is not too uncommon

Saturday: Met up with statss in Ticknock. I was doing an 80 minute easy run. he was doing his last 'long' run of his taper for first marathon in Connemara this weekend. Why he picked mountain trails for the run I don't know. Mountain trails in the snow. In road shoes! Thankfully he didn't come a cropper and we now have a convert to the mountain running fraternity. In fairness, it was beautiful up there. Sun was shining, cold wind blowing and there was a decent amount of snow. In fact, enough snow to pack out the trails and make for a real easy run. Where you're normally hopping rocks and avoiding holes there was just lovely packed snow which was plenty grippy (with the right shoes of course :)). Some icy patches around, but mostly great. Lovely view of snowy hills as far as the eye could see too, which was nice. 90 minutes running/walking

Tuesday: 2m warmup followed by 5x800m @ 6.00 (mile) pace with 400m recoveries in between, followed by 2 miles warmdown. I don't know why I run metric distances and measure them with imperial paces, I just do. I'm having problems adjusting to modern life I guess.

Wednesday: 6 miles easy. 'twas the first day this year I ran without a hat. Hooray for sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

:pac: yeah it was pretty silly in light of the snow etc... but thanks for showing me around all the same, trails shoes being bought next week and Tibradden IMRA race in May earmarked...so yep, converted is right :)

Good luck with the sub 40 10k.

6.2 miles @ 7.10 pace. I really must stop measuring kilometres in miles.

Riddle me this: how come, in a loop from my house, over the east link, through East point, Alfie Byrne Road, past Fairview Park, down Seville Place, Guild Street, SB Bridge, down by Grand Canal Dock and home again, was the wind blowing against me the whole way ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

6.2 miles @ 7.10 pace. I really must stop measuring kilometres in miles.

Riddle me this: how come, in a loop from my house, over the east link, through East point, Alfie Byrne Road, past Fairview Park, down Seville Place, Guild Street, SB Bridge, down by Grand Canal Dock and home again, was the wind blowing against me the whole way ?

I had one similar to this recently, it was an ''out and back''.... My eyes were watering with the strength of the breeze on the way out and despite looking forward to it being at my back on the return leg it was back in my face again!!

it must be one of those "Only in Ireland" things

Took part in my first ever 5k on Saturday, the Ras UCD. I'm not sure what the standard was like (I was in 35th position so I suspect it wasn't too high :P), but the time spread was 15:27 to 37:41. I finished in 19:21. My mile splits during the race were 5:58, 6:25 and 6:24. I guess it would be better to have gone out a bit slower and have more even splits, like 6:10 for each lap or something. I'm not sure where this leaves me in relation to a sub-40 minute 10k, McMillan says that I can do a 40:11 10k based on that time, but I have 5 weeks left to reduce that.
    The local GAA club are holding a 5k on Sunday 21st, so I might do that, but since it's partially on the beach, it's unlikely that I will be showing any time improvement.
    Did 7 miles very slowly yesterday evening, hampered somewhat by a stubborn hangover. I did find a new route (for me) though, along the Dodder path. I only went as far as Milltown, but I reckon this week's long run will see me out there again.

actually something that has been bothering me since it happened in Saturday's race: with about 1k to go I was passed by a man and woman (big shock there!!). I stayed pretty close behind them and I could her the man talking to the woman. I though at first that it was only encouragement, but then realised that he was pacing her. He kept counting the distance as we got closer and then said that when they got around the final bend that she was on her own. When we got around, he dropped out and she was left to fend for herself. After the finish I saw him coming to talk to her and he didn't have a number, so obviously wasn't registered to run.
    Is this carry on common ? I've never seen it before. It pissed me off at the time, mainly because he was giving her distance seemingly every 20 metres, which I could have done without :D.
    I passed her in the sprint, just so I wouldn't be annoyed by it all day. First world problems I know...

Session tonight. 3 miles warmup then 7 x 3 minutes at ~165 HR with two mins recovery between and 1 mile warm down. Felt it was tough enough, but I was actually travelling faster towards the end of the session.

• Advertisement

boy oh boy is it back. Last evening was still comparatively cool so I had packed a long sleeved top for a lunchtime run today. Jaysus, after a couple of miles I was sweating like the proverbial refugee cashing a cheque. Anyway, plan said 40 minutes easy with a few 100 metre strides, so that's what I did. Felt a bit tired (more like stiff) from last night and felt like I was doing about 9:00 minute pace, but each time I checked the watch it was around 7:30, so I guess that's a good thing. Still only managed 5 and a bit miles, mainly due to the many, many traffic lights and pedestrian crossings that DLRCC has, in its infinite wisdom, seen fit to festoon the Sandyford Industrial estate with.

Advertisement