Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get parking tickets during Connacht Senior Football Semi-Final?

Options
  • 12-06-2012 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Just echoing this thread from a couple of years ago:

Anyone got parking tickets at county finals?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056077602

On June 9 the Connacht Senior Football Semi-Finals were played in Pearse Stadium at 6pm.

There was a concert in Salthill Park the same day, with 11000 attending I believe.

On a smaller scale, there was a garden fete at the Rectory in Taylor's Hill. :)

I'd like to know whether there was any ticketing or towing of illegally parked cars on the day.

I know from experience that big matches in Pearse Stadium are typically associated with blatant abandonmentness of cars, with footpaths and pedestrian crossings obstructed within a wide radius around the venue.

As it happened the nearest I got to these events was Bishop O'Donnell Road, and one of the footpaths there was already a free-for-all by 5pm. Usually when that happens, other footpaths, pedestrian crossings, bus stops etc in the vicinity are already suffering the same fate.

Two years ago, An Garda Siochana saw fit to do a ticketing blitz, and were rewarded with accusations of carrying out "a blatant attack on law-abiding GAA supporters".

On this occasion, AGS again issued advance warnings that illegal parking would be targeted.

Does anyone know whether they followed through this time?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How many pedestrians were ticketed for Jaywalking on 09 June in Galway City, ie crossing the road when there is a pedestrian crossing nearby.

How many cyclists were done for misc Road traffic offences on the 09th June in Galway City.

Lets put all the stats in here together so we don't need a new thread per category of offender and day. That would be a tad tedious, non??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Let's just stick with the topic of the thread, shall we?

I'm just trying to find out whether AGS followed up on their advance warnings about illegal parking.

The context is as described in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Iwannahurl wrote: »

On June 9 the Connacht Senior Football Semi-Finals were played in Pearse Stadium at 6pm.

There was a concert in Salthill Park the same day, with 11000 attending I believe.

I'd like to know whether there was any ticketing or towing of illegally parked cars on the day.

I know from experience that big matches in Pearse Stadium are typically associated with blatant abandonmentness of cars, with footpaths and pedestrian crossings obstructed within a wide radius around the venue.

As it happened the nearest I got to these events was Bishop O'Donnell Road, and one of the footpaths there was already a free-for-all by 5pm. Usually when that happens, other footpaths, pedestrian crossings, bus stops etc in the vicinity are already suffering the same fate.

Two years ago, An Garda Siochana saw fit to do a ticketing blitz, and were rewarded with accusations of carrying out "a blatant attack on law-abiding GAA supporters".

On this occasion, AGS again issued advance warnings that illegal parking would be targeted.

how many got them for the concert?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The only advance warning I saw was
    There will be a strong Garda presence monitoring any unauthorised parking

I was about and saw no tow trucks being active nor anyone issuing parking tickets.

antoobrien wrote: »
    how many got them for the concert?

I'm guessing that there would be a larger number driving to the match. If any ticketing was done, though, it would presumably affect concert-goers' cars to the same degree.

snubbleste wrote: »
    The only advance warning I saw was
    There will be a strong Garda presence monitoring any unauthorised parking

I was about and saw no tow trucks being active nor anyone issuing parking tickets.

From the Garda website:

"Parking restrictions will be strictly adhered to. No illegal parking will be allowed at <list of roads>. Vehicles illegally parked will be towed away."

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=9395

Every Garda working in Salthill was on duty that day, I was told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm guessing that there would be a larger number driving to the match. If any ticketing was done, though, it would presumably affect concert-goers' cars to the same degree.

Most inter county GAA games are ticketed, and I presume that the concert was all ticket so what does that have to do with who'd be driving.

Besides there are a lot more supporters buses going to matches than there were a few years ago.

Most inter county GAA games are ticketed, and I presume that the convert was all ticket so what does that have to do with who'd be driving.

I think we may be thinking about two very different things? :D

I think we may be thinking about two very different things? :D

We may well have been, however there were 2,000 more people at the concert than at the GAA match. So presumably there was a greater requirement for parking at the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

There was the usual widespread abandonment of cars, on footpaths, across driveways etc. There didn't seem to be any ticketing, although there was a considerable Garda presence. A lot of the cars parked near us were gone before the end of the match, when it was clear that things were not going in Galway's favour. They will park anywhere in the vicinity when a match is on, with no consideration for residents of the area, it's ridiculous:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

As a separate but related issue, anyone remember what happened (if anything) in relation to the controversy with the traffic management plan submitted with the last planning application from Pearse Stadium?

[Relevant locked, old thread here]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

If you left on time you would have got plenty legit parking close by, typical GAA fan, you probally expected to leave at the last minute and park on the side of the pitch!!

If you left on time you would have got plenty legit parking close by, typical GAA fan, you probally expected to leave at the last minute and park on the side of the pitch!!

Moi?

I am so hopelessly misunderstood. :)

No, I was on foot, and I wasn't at the match, the concert or the garden fete.

I'm just trying to find out whether AGS actually followed through on their warning re illegal parking.

I am now forming the impression that there was no significant level of parking law enforcement, despite the Garda presence.

I'm also presuming that if any substantial number of parking tickets was issued, we'd have heard about it by now in one forum or another.

Robbo wrote: »
    As a separate but related issue, anyone remember what happened (if anything) in relation to the controversy with the traffic management plan submitted with the last planning application from Pearse Stadium?

[Relevant locked, old thread here]

The Case of the Forged Garda Signature? That matter seems to have quietly faded away.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Case of the Forged Garda Signature? That matter seems to have quietly faded away.
    To be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Iwannahurl,

I really think the issue here is how Pearse Stadium got away with a redevelopment a decade ago without ever providing adequate parking for a stadium which holds up to 31,000 fans.

From anecdotal evidence a lot of GAA fans from outside the city won't travel to the city for big games because of a/ city traffic and b/ lack of parking facilities.

If I remember rightly, there were great plans for a 'park and ride' service from Ballybrit which never saw the light of day once the revamp got planning permission.

I don't blame fans at all for parking up on footpaths in housing estates. Where else can they go?

If a Sligo person asked me last week which was the best way to get to Salthill or where to park I honestly wouldn't have had a clue what to tell them.

Only in Ireland do we build stadia in the 21st century with no public transport or parking plans attached.

celty wrote: »
    I don't blame fans at all for parking up on footpaths in housing estates. Where else can they go?

The road, not the footpaths, in various locations within reasonable walking distance.
    St. Enda's (off-street, when made available).
    Baily Point (off-street).
    Dunnes Knocknacarra (off-street, basement 80-90% empty on June 9).
    City Centre car parks (then walk or take the bus to Pearse Stadium).

They're the options that spring to mind just now. There may be others.

Nobody is ever "forced" to park on the footpath (to use City Tribune reporters' favourite phrase on the topic).

AGS could ticket these illegal parkers if they wanted to. It seems on this occasion they didn't want to.

Ony in Ireland do we pay "planners" not to plan and law enforcers not to enforce the law?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Celty that makes no sense.
    Just because I want to go to a gaa match does not mean I can break the law and inconvience others.

It is simply the case that there is a serious lack of inaction on behalf of the authorities to provide a safe environment for all.
    For this particular match, there was a mention that illegal parking would be enforced - no mention that footpaths would be closed or pedestrian navigation was less important than a car parking space.

For this particular match, there was a mention that illegal parking would be enforced - no mention that footpaths would be closed or pedestrian navigation was less important than a car parking space.

No mention of it, but a long-standing tacit agreement between AGS, City Council and motorists that those lower down the pecking order need to step aside -- literally -- when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lots of places: Map of Galway City car parks.

I've only attended a match at Pearse Stadium once. We walked from Headford Rd, despite only having a vague idea where we were going. We figured we head in the general direction, and follow the crowd, and it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

here we go again!

the nimbys of rockbarton are up in arms as usual.
    surprised it took this long for the whinging to begin!

listen pearce stadium was there long before your house, this is a fact.

Why wasnt there any proper planning done when ur houses were built?

there is only one big match a year played there. In fact there wasnt any championship football match played there last year.

get over it.

From anecdotal evidence a lot of GAA fans from outside the city won't travel to the city for big games because of a/ city traffic and b/ lack of parking facilities.

Ah that's just the football fans talking - they won't come into Galway because the matches aren't in Tuam.

flynnlives wrote: »
    here we go again!

there is only one big match a year played there. In fact there wasnt any championship football match played there last year.

get over it.

1. I don't live in the area, so the date my house was built is irrelevant (and yes I know some of the nimbys, and their main concern seems to be outsiders coming in and taking their footpath parking spot!).

2. Feet were there before cars, or even wheels.

3. Footpaths are for feet. The clue is in the name.

4. Traffic and parking law is not a menu, even for the GAA.

5. Try parking legally and walking to the stadium. It's "only once a year" so it won't kill you, and you can amaze your grandchildren with tales of the days when you did massive treks as long as 3-4 kilometres once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Celty that makes no sense.
    Just because I want to go to a gaa match does not mean I can break the law and inconvience others.

It is simply the case that there is a serious lack of inaction on behalf of the authorities to provide a safe environment for all.
    So they do provide a safe environment then?

Funny I don't remember this level of bleating from college rd & surrounds residents - well ever - for rugby matches, especially the Heineken Cup matches when they had to close the road and re-route traffic (something that rarely has to happen for matches in the stadium)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Funny I don't remember this level of bleating from college rd & surrounds residents - well ever - for rugby matches, especially the Heineken Cup matches when they had to close the road and re-route traffic (something that rarely has to happen for matches in the stadium)

The Connacht Branch did an excellent job of publicising match-day car parking facilities at Moneenageisha (excuse the spelling!), Galwegians etc. all within walking distance of the Sportsground.

I know the biggest crowd was only about 9,000 but proper planning is all it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

here we go again!

get over it.

Hmmm as someone who once lived in Rockbarton I know how they feel. While there is not that many matches on its still a royal pain in the ass when your car parking spot is taken/blocked by some one who's gone to the match (numbered parking spots for residents only etc). I've had my car locked into my space, had my space taken and the like when I lived down there.

I don't care if the pitch was there before the houses, it was built in a time were cars were few and then went unused for how long before being redeveloped? Why did they not address the parking issue in the redevelopment? The issue is its in use now and the supporters who attend match's and park in a way the is illegal, inconsiderate or just irresponsible. The GAA do not provide enough parking the AGS dont enforce the rules and the residents end up having to deal with it.

Its not just Pearse stadium. its other GAA grounds as well.

f1dan wrote: »
    The Connacht Branch did an excellent job of publicising match-day car parking facilities at Moneenageisha (excuse the spelling!), Galwegians etc. all within walking distance of the Sportsground.

I know the biggest crowd was only about 9,000 but proper planning is all it takes.

The residents of a couple of houses in wellpark might disagree with you.

Besides the stadium rarely gets crowds that big (provincial & maybe county finals). I mean you'd swear by the way some people are talking that a match is the end of the world, I never have any problem getting getting parking around the stadium (what doesn't break traffic laws).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

here we go again!

get over it.

The uninformed posters are at it again, surprised it took you this long to start making dumb irrelevant posts.

As a Rockbarton resident I have no problem with the Championship games, take last Saturday for example, AGS had all the roads directly opposite the stadium blocked, local access only. I had no problem getting to my house, mind you the roads just outside the garda 'cordon' were a free for all. The problem I have is the smaller games when AGS are not involved, those are a right pain in the arse for people living nearby.

I myself didn't see AGS ticketing any cars but who knows, hopefully those that deserved a ticket got one.

The rest of your drivel about planning etc. is not worth responding to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

As usual with these matches, cars were parked right along Kingston Road from the Taylor's Hill, Threadneedle crossroads to at least Manor Avenue. So how many hundred cars was that parked illegally and dangerously?

Advertisement