Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurlamaboc

• 12-06-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Just finished studying the Irish proms Hurlamaboc Anyone care to explain to me what it means ?? I mean whats is it about ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Just finished studying the Irish proms Hurlamaboc Anyone care to explain to me what it means ?? I mean whats is it about ??

What are you doing? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

It's about a woman who gets accepted to go on tour with a world famous rock band. Throw in a few sentences about how to crowd goes crazy, and how there's an atmosfeir go hiontach. Her name is Josephine I think, and she wins them through a radio competition.

Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

It's about a woman who gets accepted to go on tour with a world famous rock band. Throw in a few sentences about how to crowd goes crazy, and how there's an atmosfeir go hiontach. Her name is Josephine I think, and she wins them through a radio competition.

Isn't Hurlamaboc the one about Lisín the gold-digger and the party she's throwing to celebrate her wedding anniversary?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Isn't Hurlamaboc the one about Lisín the gold-digger and the party she's throwing to celebrate her wedding anniversary?

Yeah, I just thought he was in the middle of his exam. I'll edit

• Registered Users Posts: 47 needhelp12345

FinnD wrote: »
    What are you doing? :L

Im not in my leaving cert exam :D Im only going into fifth year and was just wondering!! dont worry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 needhelp12345

Zomg Okay wrote: »

Yeah thats what I thought it was about Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

She's not a gold-digger! It's a satire on the habits and general snobbish ways of the upper middle class people of south co dublin during the celtic tiger. The author is mocking the way that all the women on the avenue are trying to out do each other and be perfect and blonde etc, and Lisín kind of represents their whole stuck-up, keeping up with the joneses mentality, eg being a member of every club and organisation, getting what she wants, turning her husband into a rich lecturer, shunning the new woman on the avenue because she has dark hair and doesn't always wear make-up, etc.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    She's not a gold-digger! It's a satire on the habits and general snobbish ways of the upper middle class people of south co dublin during the celtic tiger. The author is mocking the way that all the women on the avenue are trying to out do each other and be perfect and blonde etc, and Lisín kind of represents their whole stuck-up, keeping up with the joneses mentality, eg being a member of every club and organisation, getting what she wants, turning her husband into a rich lecturer, shunning the new woman on the avenue because she has dark hair and doesn't always wear make-up, etc.

Hope that helps!

It probably is a satire on the upper middle class but I don't think geography has anything to do with it. If it did I would have refused to answer.

GarIT wrote: »
    It probably is a satire on the upper middle class but I don't think geography has anything to do with it. If it did I would have refused to answer.

https://sites.google.com/site/colaistechanel/ardteist/ardleibheal/pros-2012/hurlamboc

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

Its a load of Hurlamabollocks to be honest :/ I did crap in the question today :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Who cares what it is..no more Irish ever again!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wibblin

I bullet pointed this question today, got a whole half page and all...and then when I leave the exam i find out the son's name isn't even Ruaírí...that, sir, is what hurt the most!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

It's basically Desperate Housewives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

She's not a gold-digger!

Must have just been the way my teacher translated it then. With the prós we only ever read the summaries and not the actual written work. The way my teacher put it was that Pól was working in a shop as an assistant but Lisín "knew he'd be rich someday". Sounded pretty gold-diggerish to us. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

biohaiid wrote: »
    It's basically Desperate Housewives.

That's what I said in my answer. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It doesn't actually say that is what its about. It might be where they live, but it doesn't say that is why they act stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

That's what I said in my answer. :pac:

I was going to but I said 'Ag Coineal Suas le Mhuintir Mhic Sheoin' instead. :)

GarIT wrote: »
    It doesn't actually say that is what its about. It might be where they live, but it doesn't say that is why they act stupid.

I was just pointing out that is it actually set in south dublin. You said yourself they act stupid. Taking into account the fact that it's kind of mocking these women and their attitude towards money, and it's no secret that certain areas in south co dublin are synonymous with wealth, it's fair to say that it's a light satire on the foolishness of some people during the celtic tiger. It's making fun of a stereotype, no need to get defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

My teacher aptly put it, it's basically just a summary about the lives of those snobs in south dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Astrosloth

Spoiler alert!
    Lisin and Pol get blown up by terrorists in Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Anything to get me closer to five thousand views I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Just goes to show how much of an absolute joke the Irish course is. None of the irish students even know what this pros is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

it wont come up this year it came up last year

Advertisement