Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tobacco Free Playground Initiative

Options
  • 12-06-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

FCC are seeking submissions on their Tobacco Free Playground Initiative.

Here is what I have submitted:
    SUMMARY
    This is a fantastic initiative and plans to expand the pilot is very welcome.
    • Provide ample graphical "No Smoking" signs throughout the playground.
    • Develop leaflets and signage to help the public confront smokers.
    • Consider a buffer no smoking zone around small playgrounds.

SIGNAGE
    I was at Millennium Park Playground today, a warm and sunny day. The playground and surrounds were quite busy but no Park Ranger was present. I saw a small number of people openly smoking within the playground. I did not see any signs that the playground is a tobacco free area, though I assume that there is at least one at the entrance.

Due to the large size of Millennium Park Playground, it needs to have graphical "No Smoking" signs throughout the playground, e.g. beside all seating areas and close to swings and other equipment that parents are generally standing close to. These signs could be designed by children, like the 2012 Anti Graffiti calendar from the Environment Division.

I live beside the Riverwood playground in Carpenterstown. It already has a small "rules" plaque that states that smoking is prohibited. Even a small playground like this needs graphical signage at the entrances to the playground and within the playground.

SELF POLICING
    The Millennium Park Playground was the perfect location for the pilot as it often has a Park Ranger to inform people about the initiative. Smaller playgrounds do not have this service so other playground users will be expected to confront the smokers.

Irish people are not great at confronting people; they are nervous about causing a scene and may be scared that the smoker will be aggressive. For this reason, I suggest that Fingal County Council produce leaflets with advice on how to talk to the smokers in a manner that will not lead to a aggressive response. Even better would be such signs at the playground.

EXCLUSION ZONE
    For small playgrounds the Parks Division should consider implementing an exclusion zone around the playground. I appreciate that this would not be easy but it could help reduce the level of particulate matter where there is only a small or non existent buffer space between the playground and the boundary fencing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I am a smoker and spend a fair bit of time in playgrounds with my daughter and have never once sparked up in there. why on earth would i or any other smoker when you can walk 20 feet and puff away. i dont understand some people!

Advertisement