Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst fate to befall a character?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Worse fate is that of the offspring of Janeway and Paris in that episode where they go over warp 10 ...Left to plotter on a planet as a primitive lifeform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

AngryLips wrote: »
    Worse fate is that of the offspring of Janeway and Paris in that episode where they go over warp 10 ...Left to plotter on a planet as a primitive lifeform.

To be pedantic, didn't that experiment accelerate the evolution process...rather than being primitive, they're probably where we're heading.

Though judging by some of our politicians, I've begun to wonder if we've reached that point already :rolleyes:

Threshold.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

EnterNow wrote: »
    Threshold.jpg

The real looser here was the viewer, what a worse fate then the writers saving Janeway and Paris :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

To be pedantic, didn't that experiment accelerate the evolution process...rather than being primitive, they're probably where we're heading.

Though judging by some of our politicians, I've begun to wonder if we've reached that point already :rolleyes:

Threshold.jpg

What was it that Janeway said, the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

The randy so and so ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I think Dexter Remmick's end was fairly sticky. Being possessed by the mother parasite and then being blown apart....used to give me the shivers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ah, that creeped the hell out of me back in the day. It had a lot of potential for a really dark storyline as well, one which was sadly never used.

Interesting reading up on the episode actually.
    The original version of the script did not feature alien parasites; the conspiracy in question was simply a military coup within Starfleet. Gene Roddenberry vehemently opposed such an idea, since he believed Starfleet would never stoop to such methods; there was just no way Tormé could get away with suggesting that the Federation was anything less than a perfect government. Thus the alien angle was introduced at his insistence. (DS9 later featured a similar plot, however, in the two-part episodes "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost".)

I guess we wouldn't get to see this until DS9 did it in Homefront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah, that creeped the hell out of me back in the day. It had a lot of potential for a really dark storyline as well, one which was sadly never used.

Interesting reading up on the episode actually.

I guess we wouldn't get to see this until DS9 did it in Homefront.

I have a vague recollection of them scrapping it after Stargate took off, as the alien mind controlling parasites were too Goa'ould-like....

The Memory Alpha bit is possibly more true to form with Roddenberry though.

Wasn't he accused of being a communist because of his ideas for the federation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gatecrash wrote: »
    Wasn't he accused of being a communist because of his ideas for the federation?

Probably. Anyone who didn't want to kill 'japs & reds' back then was likely accused of being a Communist. That was the beauty, bravery & brilliance of Roddenberrys message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Threshold.jpg

Of all the things they thought up why was it lizards? I mean seriously...what an insulting end to humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Picard having to spend 6 hours on a shuttle with Wesley Crusher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Niska

Picard having to spend 6 hours on a shuttle with Wesley Crusher.

Not a terrible fate - he probably brought along a few games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Q, going from adversary/mentor to Voyagers comic relief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Goldstein wrote: »
    Have to admit, Jake Sisko's fate in The Visitor of searching for his lost Dad haunts me.

Only the end scene. To be honest, you kind of have to watch the whole episode to do it justice.

Cossax wrote: »
    While not the worst fate imaginable, I'd say Thomas Riker being stuck on a planet on your own for 8 years is pretty rough.

The crew of the Pegasus had a nasty enough end as well, phasing back into solid rock. :confused:

That death would be pretty instantaneous though. A slow torturous solitude would be far worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kirby wrote: »

That death would be pretty instantaneous though. A slow torturous solitude would be far worse.

tbh 7 years of peace and quiet is quite appealing at this point of my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm going to nominate Tuvok for this award, shat on continually by the galaxy for nearly 120 years

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Tuvok

Not killed but so many horrible things happened to him, various mind rapes and pychic take overs, stuck on a ship with Neelix, stranded across the galaxy, prison and torture, being merged into another person and not existing for a while and so forth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

And they made him dance........:eek:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

accelerate the evolution process
    No please no!!!

Advertisement