Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had an STI/HIV test?

• 12-06-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

So new stats on the number of people who are hiv + were release and it's rising. I know during the early 90s there were massive awareness campaigns but there have been a whole generation of people who grew up after that.

So it got me wondering, have you ever had an sti/hiv test?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0612/ireland/one-third-of-hiv-sufferers-unaware-197124.html
    One third of HIV sufferers ‘unaware’

By Lyndsey Telford

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A third of people living with HIV are unaware they carry the infection, new research has revealed.

Patient campaigners warned that people are still involved in risk-taking behaviour because they do not think they will get HIV.

Barriers to testing for the infection have also led to late detection and have prevented people from benefiting from early treatment, it was claimed.

Dr Jack Lambert, infectious disease consultant at the Mater Hospital, warned a late diagnosis could lead to the rapid onset of Aids.

"We have to continue challenging the stigma that still surrounds HIV in Ireland in order to effect change," said Dr Lambert.

"The public needs to know that by avoiding early HIV testing, you put yourself at risk of rapid disease progression — possibly leading to Aids."

A total of 6,287 people in Ireland have been diagnosed with HIV since the early 1980s.

Latest figures from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre showed 30% of people living with HIV are unaware of their infection.

While the overall diagnosis rate decreased by 3% in 2011, more than half of the 320 people who tested positive presented late with the illness. And 27% of the 85 women newly diagnosed were pregnant.

The highest proportion of new cases was among men who have sex with men (42.5%), while a third were heterosexual men and women, and 5% were injecting drug users.

Three mother-to-child cases were diagnosed.

The figures were released ahead of Irish Aids Day — on Friday June 15 — when a "Don’t Guess, Get Tested" campaign will be launched by Open Heart House, the Sexual Health Centre, Aids West, Dublin Aids Alliance and the Red Ribbon Project.

Have you ever had an STI/HIV test? 79 votes

Yes, due to being a blood donor.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, due to having to be admited to hospital.
    15% 12 votes
    Yes, as part of a normal medical screening.
    5% 4 votes
    Yes, cos I felt I should.
    22% 18 votes
    Yes, cos someone I was with had caught something.
    50% 40 votes
    No cos only slappers need them.
    6% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I'm positive I haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sharrow wrote: »
    So it got me wondering, have you ever had an sti/hiv test?

Only as part of standard blood tests before operations etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Everybody's got AIDS!

But yeah, I've been tested. I don't get the impression it's something that's sat itself too comfortably into our society yet.

How can they know 1/3 of people don't know they have AIDS? If they don't know, how do they know they have it? If they know, without the people knowing, then that's just mean.*

*jk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

i'll just walk it off im sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I havent. I know this is stupid but my girlfriend has had a few and she's grand so I assume that means Im clean too.
    I hear they put a thing down your urethra for those tests. No thank you. That sounds like a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

nope
    have you op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I havent. I know this is stupid but my girlfriend has had a few and she's grand so I assume that means Im clean too.

It doesn't, could be she just hasn't caught it off you yet.
    I hear they put a thing down your urethra for those tests. No thank you. That sounds like a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Not much different from having a cotton bud put in your ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Yup. Have had a medical every two years or so for the last six years and when I was admitted to hospital a few years ago it was routine.
    AIDS, HIV, syphilis, hepatitis range too along with a few more bits.

FatherLen wrote: »
    nope
    have you op?

Yep, a heap of times from being admitted to hospital getting tonsils and babies out (not at the same time), being a blood donor and cos I felt I needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Depends how big your ear is.:pac:

• Advertisement

Why bother with the reasons in the poll? I mean, surely we should be qualifying the embarrassment.

You must have a weird ear.

Also, I didnt know the blood donation test counted. I do that quite often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yes, tweezers up my dick, it's not as bad as it sounds. Haven't needed one in ages though :(.

The blood donated would be screened for any disease.
    If you did have something I'm sure they'd be in contact with you.

Of course they are going to test each donation but if a person thinks they are at risk they shouldn't donate, they should go and get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I had a test once after being pricked with what I'm pretty sure was a needle in a nightclub. The results were all fine - didn't have anything - but my exchange with the doctor's office was pretty alarming.

When I rang for the results the receptionist asked if I wanted her to read them to me.
    "Yes, okay", I said.
    "Alright, where are they... here's the file. Okay, so you had a test for... where is it... Oh. I'll get a doctor to call you back".
    "FCUK!!!!"

The doctor called within five minutes to let me know that I had the all-clear. Easily the worst five minutes of my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yes, would get it done once or twice a year, I dont know why people dont take more care of themselves when it comes to their sexual health, you give a urine and blood sample and they take a swab (they dont even always do this anymore) this notion of metal umbrellas being dragged through your dick is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Yes i have got it done, always better to be on the safe side with things like that imho

Why bother with the reasons in the poll? I mean, surely we should be qualifying the embarrassment.

Because often people are unaware they have been tested for HIV,
    I know someone who swore blind she has never been tested, but she has 3 kids under 10 and all maternity hospitals test for a range of things when they do the blood works for a pregnant lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had AIDS but then after sex with a virgin I was cured.

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote: »
    The blood donated would be screen for any disease.
    If you did have something I'm sure they'd be in contact with you.

WOHOO!! Bareback tonight to celebrate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I have. And yes, they put a thing down your thing.

The nurse administering it laughed and said "oh, the lads all hate this part". No sh1t love: we're not used to having our genetalia penetrated.

It's not fun, but you should unless you've only ever been in a strictly monogamous relationship with someone in the same boat. It's like taxing your car: easy to put off, no fun to do, but you'll look bloody stupid if you're caught without it.

Because often people are unaware they have been tested for HIV,
    I know someone who swore blind she has never been tested, but she has 3 kids under 10 and all maternity hospitals test for a range of things when they do the blood works for a pregnant lady.

Ah good point :)

geeky wrote: »

The nurse administering it laughed and said "oh, the lads all hate this part". No sh1t love: we're not used to having our genetalia penetrated.

It's not fun, but you should unless you've only ever been in a strictly monogamous relationship with someone in the same boat. It's like taxing your car: easy to put off, no fun to do, but you'll look bloody stupid if you're caught without it.

Ive taxed my car a number of times and at no point did anyone try to put anything up (or down? Do you have to be erect or flaccid?) my dick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

Normally twice a year. Find it odd that people take more care of their car than themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's an odd poll, there's only 1 reason to have a test done and that's "envolvement with multiple sexual partners," of either yourself or the other participant(s).

That's an odd poll, there's only 1 reason to have a test done and that's "envolvement with multiple sexual partners," of either yourself or the other participant(s).

Nope, already there has been someone posting in this thread about how they got pricked by a needle/syringe and got tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Mark: Big Suze, I'm sorry to say that Jez has or may have a sexually transmitted disease.
    <LI class=chat_line>Big Suze: Oh god, is it AIDS? <LI class=chat_line>Jez: No, it's not AIDS. This isn't the 80s
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Might be worse in your case if your username is anything to go by :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Had one very recently but only as a precaution. Didn't need to have anything stuck anywhere just give a blood and urine sample.

I'm sure there is a stigma associated with them, both the procedure and the need/desire to have one. But it seems like common sense to me really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I've no idea which answer to tick.
    They test you for most of them when you're pregnant - so that's 3 times for me.
    Oh and I have chronic pid, which can sometimes be caused by chlamydia or gonorrhea, so they tested me for them as a precaution even though I knew I didn't have them.

Out of curiousity, obviously there is the rule where people who self declare themselvew to be from a higher risk group of having contracted AIDS are banned from donating.

Is this so that one tainted sample doesnt spoil an entire bag of blood or is it that it is impossible to test every single batch of blood received due to time or financial constraints and so they must rely on personal honesty? AFAIK in parts of the US alot of homeless people donate blood as you get a small payment for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

What other kind of diseases do they test for when donating blood? Turns out I have been getting something from donating blood :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

This type of testing always aids the diagnosis of HIV...

see what I did there?

Out of curiousity, obviously there is the rule where people who self declare themselvew to be from a higher risk group of having contracted AIDS are banned from donating.

Yes and it's not just men who have sex with men, if you are a woman in a relationship with a man who has ever had sex with another man you can't donate, even if you both have been test and have been monogamous together for years.
    Is this so that one tainted sample doesnt spoil an entire bag of blood or is it that it is impossible to test every single batch of blood received due to time or financial constraints and so they must rely on personal honesty? AFAIK in parts of the US alot of homeless people donate blood as you get a small payment for it.

Every donation is tested. When you give blood the donation goes into two pouches, one large one which most people know to see the blood bag and a smaller one which is about 1 inch by 3 inches, both have the same serial number on them and the smaller one is used to test the donation.
    dorgasm wrote: »
    What other kind of diseases do they test for when donating blood? Turns out I have been getting something from donating blood :D

Everyone they can.

Check the website for more info

http://giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Keeping_Blood_Safe/

• Advertisement

From the NZ website
    http://www.nzblood.co.nz/Give-blood/Donating/Detailed-eligibility-criteria
    Blood borne diseases - what is tested for?
    Hepatitis B and C, syphillis, HIV (AIDS) on all donations.

http://www.nzblood.co.nz/Give-blood/Donating/Am-I-eligible
    I can't donate
    You must not have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think there should be another few 'no' options here. 'No' because I've never had unprotected sex maybe.

I've always thought it odd as well that blood from 'risky' groups won't be accepted. If it's being tested anyway, it shouldn't matter. Clearly they are not confident enough that the tests work, or that they will be found out in the future not have to have been adequate, so they rely on human honesty as well as testing. None of this strikes me as foolproof really.

I think there should be another few 'no' options here. 'No' because I've never had unprotected sex maybe.

Maybe one of the mods will ad one.
    Also even if you always used a condom there are sti you can catch.
    I've always thought it odd as well that blood from 'risky' groups won't be accepted. If it's being tested anyway, it shouldn't matter. Clearly they are not confident enough that the tests work, or that they will be found out in the future not have to have been adequate, so they rely on human honesty as well as testing. None of this strikes me as foolproof really.

I don't think it is not being confident in the tests, but more the cost of carrying them and the cost of having the donations stored while those tests are carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

geeky wrote: »

There is now a urine test for Gonorrhoea which eliminates the need for a swab from the tip of the penis or ‘UMBRELLA’ in most cases.

Most centres offer this service now so men shouldn't be put off by the stories of 'umbrella invasion' from before.

When I had a recent test myself I just gave urine and blood- very easy. Now there is really no excuse not to get tested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ive had a simple blood test Urine test and the doctor said that he will also check for STD's regardless of sexual activity. It wasnt a test specifically for an STD. Does that count?
    I have had so many tests over the past year I forget what is what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Also even if you always used a condom there are sti you can catch.

I don't think it is not being confident in the tests, but more the cost of carrying them and the cost of having the donations stored while those tests are carried out.

Yeah, true. It will get to the stage though that people feel so discriminated against by not being allowed give blood that the IBTS will end up having to carry the tests anyway. Possibly.

I am having visions now of pubic lice hopping from crotch to crotch. :eek:

Rabies wrote: »

Because you are Irish, or because you have rabies? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Yeah, I've been tested. People who take little interest in their sexual health worry me.

Because you are Irish, or because you have rabies? :pac:

Both :(

Can't give blood in Ireland either because I had a transfusion a few years ago.

So all you lazy buggers, donate blood and keep future me alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

now that this has come out, my hypochondria has kicked in and im freakin out about having hiv even though its highly unlikely that i do :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I've read that the chances of getting HIV if you have unprotected sex with someone who actually has HIV is about 10000 to 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

I think there should be another few 'no' options here. 'No' because I've never had unprotected sex maybe

You never had oral sex without a condom either?

I've read that the chances of getting HIV if you have unprotected sex with someone who actually has HIV is about 10000 to 1.

It's not that simple depends on the virus payload in their system, if you are on the 'receiving' end and various other factors like if you have any cuts or abrasions in the area.

Still even if those were the odds, I don't think it's worth the risk, it is after all the length and quality of your life you are gambling with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Ive taxed my car a number of times and at no point did anyone try to put anything up (or down? Do you have to be erect or flaccid?) my dick

Clearly, you don't get it done at the motor tax office....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've been tested twice, last time was about 6 or 7 years ago, but i've been very well behaved since then - i'm taking it on faith that the missus has too!!
    People are far too hang up on what people might think and so on in this country - if you've put yourself at risk, and in all honesty very few peope haven't at some point, then it's better to go get checked. People can have things like chlamydia for years, decades even without showing symptoms. Getting checked is the only way you know for sure that you have nothing.

I'm squeaky clean by the way - well as of 7 years ago in any case;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement