Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had an STI/HIV test?

2»

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've never had an actual STI test (never needed one) but when I was pregnant, part of the routine blood tests screen for diseases that can be passed to the baby so HIV was one of the things they checked for. I only discovered they tested for it when I rang to get my results and the midwife was going down through the list reading me out my results and she goes 'oh and you're clear for HIV'. I was thinking bloody right I am! Otherwise the hubby would have had some serious explaining to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Sharrow wrote: »
    Every donation is tested. When you give blood the donation goes into two pouches, one large one which most people know to see the blood bag and a smaller one which is about 1 inch by 3 inches, both have the same serial number on them and the smaller one is used to test the donation.

In that case, if every single sample is rigorously tested, isnt encouraging high risk groups to attend a screening a good thing? Even if, as a double precaution, the blood is discarded even if the reading is clean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I've read that the chances of getting HIV if you have unprotected sex with someone who actually has HIV is about 10000 to 1.
    The 10000 to 1 figure that floats around is for condomed sex with someone in a 'high risk group', intravenous drug users etc, falling to 1000 to 1 for unprotected sex. For someone that is confirmed HIV positive you devide thos. odds by about half for a once off sexual encounter. For multiple encounters those odds start to become more unfavourable obviously, falling to about 3 to 2 if you are talking about hundreds of unprotected sexual encounters, such as you would have in a long term relationship with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I havent. I know this is stupid but my girlfriend has had a few and she's grand so I assume that means Im clean too.

During your relationship your bird has had numerous STI tests?

eh... :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yes, I have been tested, the full test, and I'll ****ing tell you this, the fear of having to have another one of those tests makes me not want to get any STD's, not the fear of the STD's themselves. Horrific and painful are two words I'd use to describe it. 100% clean though.

Ladies, I'm free this weekend btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Augmerson wrote: »
    Yes, I have been tested, the full test, and I'll ****ing tell you this, the fear of having to have another one of those tests makes me not want to get any STD's, not the fear of the STD's themselves. Horrific and painful are two words I'd use to describe it. 100% clean though.

Ladies, I'm free this weekend btw.

That's some good scaremongering there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

During your relationship your bird has had numerous STI tests?

eh... :pac: :pac: :pac:

That's what I get for going out with a hooker. She buys me nice things with her cum soaked cash. Mostly metaphorically cum soaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Employed most of my working life in all aspects of the security industry, I've been stuck with needles, spat at by HIV + junkies & I've been bitten a few times...been tested after each occurence, negative to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

This poll is hilarious :pac:

I haven't had one as I haven't been with many guys and made sure they were clean first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I got tested but I wasn't really aware of what I was getting tested for.

I was working in Dubai and I had a stomach bug so I went to the hospital to get a note so I could take the next day off work.

The doctor told me that he was going to send me for blood tests to see what was wrong with me.

So after the tests he said:
    "well, you don't have HIV or diabetes" (always reassuring)
    "And you're not pregnant" (I was aware of that, I didn't realise I'd be tested for it)
    "Oh, you don't have gonorrhea either! You have a tummy bug, take a day off work"

WTF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Daith wrote: »
    You never had oral sex without a condom either?

I didn't necessarily mean me :o.

Can you get STIs in your mouth? Herpes I guess... Eww...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

This poll is hilarious :pac:

I haven't had one as I haven't been with many guys and made sure they were clean first.

How did you do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Daith wrote: »
    Normally twice a year. Find it odd that people take more care of their car than themselves.

I think I would start looking for a better class of lady if I was you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah due to work related incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Christmas party or a leaving do is my guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

do people who admit getting tested for HIV get a loading on their health insurance policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't need to do a HIV test, I already know I have the best HIV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYJ2w82WifU

is this how it is for everyone?:D

How did you do that?

stick them in the shower

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yeah due to work related incidents.

Your job sounds desperate. Fair play to you for sticking with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was tested when I was having my Son.. it's standard procedure afaik.

I'm clean :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Sharrow wrote: »
    It doesn't, could be she just hasn't caught it off you yet.

Not much different from having a cotton bud put in your ear.

Lies!!! Its horrofic. I fainted two times i went to get one for safety. Its unbearable for me get that Pole shoved down your pipe.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Never been tested. Never barebacked ever, but still, I suppose I should get my ass to the doctor and get checked up.

I've had my bloods done recently as well as a urine sample. Does that pick up on anything?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

How did you do that?
    I'm reminded of Billy Connolly's wire brush and Dettol joke.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Never been tested. Never barebacked ever, but still, I suppose I should get my ass to the doctor and get checked up.

I've had my bloods done recently as well as a urine sample. Does that pick up on anything?:confused:

No. Unless they specifically tested you for HIV/aids which they don't do routinely.

I've only been tested giving blood, but am not allowed do that any more either. Got a transfusion in the bad old days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I've come across several girls who said I didn't need to put the condom because I was in the process of putting it on. Their logic must be that if a guy goes to put on a condom it's impossible for him to have an STI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

I've come across several girls who said I didn't need to put the condom because I was in the process of putting it on. Their logic must be that if a guy goes to put on a condom it's impossible for him to have an STI.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

That's very impressive. Just as well you didn't wear the condom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I havent. I know this is stupid but my girlfriend has had a few and she's grand so I assume that means Im clean too.
    I hear they put a thing down your urethra for those tests. No thank you. That sounds like a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Have you ever seen a speculum? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yep, 5 or 6 times. Lot of unprotected sex.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Yes for tests, I also know 4 people with HIV/AIDS, 1 has AIDS the other 3 are HIV+, another guy I know has Hep B (with HIV).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I have, and it was an unbelievable relief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeah.

Anybody who is sexually active should get tested at least yearly.

Advertisement