Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been burgled?

• 12-06-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

4am friday night i was woken by the loud screech of my house alarm going off.

When i jumped out of bed i saw two men jump over my back wall and run off, now my back walls about 7 foot to they must have been pretty tall. Its was only gettin bright so couldnt see any faces.

Theres been a spate of robberies in the estate latley and since friday iv been pure paranoid jumping at the slightist noise. Iv always had a serious fear of someone breakin into my house :-(

have you ever been burgled?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yup, few years ago two travellers broke into my parents house, scummers stole my mams jewelery and tore open all our wardrobes looking for stuff leaving the place in a state, its horrible thinking some piece of scum is going through your house, thats probably worse than stuff being taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Parents house was broken into a few years ago when no one was home. Jewlrey tossed out of the box on the bed and a few wardrobes too but nothing except a newbridge silver xmas tree decoration missing! Monatered alarm, cctv and the dogs now roaming free in the house and garden should deter anyone now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Shortly after we moved into our old house we were broken into they got damn all the place was a building site at the time so screw em!

Where I live here I was broken into twice but this was to do with dodgy neighbours. The first time put the heart across me by the second time they had nicked my oil, chucked paint over my car and generally made life miserable so I snapped and went a bit postal ... was nearly me in the cuffs that night but fcuk em the bastards they got what they deserved :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

no... touch wood!

something i fear though with my children in the house, makes my blood run cold, i feel sorry for anybodys house being broken into but more so if they were in the house at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Nope, not once.
    Not when I lived with my family, or any of the places I've lived since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yep - when I lived in London my bf got up one morning and went downstairs. Came back up and said the front door was open and my handbag was scattered all over the sofa.

When I was on the phone to the bank cancelling cards etc I realised that my handbag had been at the end of my bed that night as it always was. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Couple of months ago. They got away with a laptop and rent money. Cops said it was a traveller gang. They got a few places that day.

They will rue the day they burgle my place again if Im in there..................I will confuse them with the 4x tables and some simple second class spelling questions before taking a baseball bat to that sponge they call a head.

SCUM!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

No, they would need to start carrying in before they could start carrying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

my back walls about 7 foot to they must have been pretty tall.

i am 5"6' and could easily climb a seven foot wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

FatherLen wrote: »
    i am 5"6' and could easily climb a seven foot wall.

You would make a great burglar!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

frag420 wrote: »
    You would make a great burglar!!

ssshh you'll ruin everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

My house was broken into about 1997. I was in India at the time and the thieves broke down the back door. They took a couple of TVs, a videotape recorder, a microwave oven, a collection of brass objects and a few other things. They also ripped a Victorian cast-iron fireplace right out of the wall and took it, in addition to taking the burner from my oil-fired central heating and leaving around 300 litres of kerosene flooding the shed. They were probably too thick to recognise that some of the pictures on the wall were quite valuable, so they were left where they were. :eek:

My daughter discovered the burglary when she came home and called the Gardai in Portlaoise. One of them turned up in the fullness of time and (approximately) the following conversation took place:;)

Garda (sweeping his eyes over the place). "Dim were professionals!":D

Daughter: (Wondering just how many amateur burglars there are in Ireland): "I see. By the way, I've been careful not to touch any doorknobs or anything so that you can dust for fingerprints.":)

Garda: "Ah shure, I never finished that course.":rolleyes:

And that was the end of that, but at least the insurance paid up.;:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No thankfully. The home is well protected.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

A guy up the road from me, Mr Sweeney, his house was broken into and was forced into a bra by the intruder. Apparantly he was a victim of the 200 cases of "forced transvestism" in the space of one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, we used to get burgled about once a month by the time I was 10. Probably well in to double figures. We moved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No not so far touch wood. Alarm, variable times going out, house rarely empty and a big and aggressive dog who prowls the house should help.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not burgled as such, not even broken into as the door wasn't locked

Came home from work, watched some TV and fell asleep on the couch
    Woke up with a junkie in the flat

Off his head, if you asked him what country he was in he wouldn't know.
    Kicked him out, squad car up in minutes, zero followup, I've heard nothing since

If I left my door unlocked at 3am and someone got in that would be my fault
    But who locks their door at 7pm on a sunny evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

mikemac1 wrote: »

If I left my door unlocked at 3am and someone got in that would be my fault
    my mother!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I do. Unless the dog is out and about in which case the back door is unlocked for him(He can open and close it with his paws).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    They also ripped a Victorian cast-iron fireplace right out of the wall and took it, in addition to taking the burner from my oil-fired central heating

Trait of traveller thieves. Stealing fireplaces and boilers.

If anyone shíts on your floor or sofa, it's a trait of thieves from the surrounding Dun Laoghaire area, a couple of particular area's actually which I won't mention. I grew up there and unfortunately knew filthy scummers who robbed houses, they even were so brazen as to eat your cereal and make cups of tea while they were robbing your house. Afterwards one of them would take a shít on your floor or sofa.
    Garda never bothered doing anything about it, houses in the surrounding area's were rifled for years on end, sometimes multiple times by the same scumbags. I learned years later the reason why some Gardaí never did anything about it nor ever touched those responsible, but I can't give that info here but I've no doubts it still goes on there and elsewhere.

Gardaí don't care, don't even think they do. You just need to go through the motions to report to them for insurance purposes.

• Advertisement

oxo_ wrote: »
    I learned years later the reason why some Gardaí never did anything about it nor ever touched those responsible, but I can't give that info here but I've no doubts it still goes on there and elsewhere.

Garda informant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No, fortunately, considering the areas I tend to live in. I used to have a hurley under the bed in case anyone happened to come upstairs uninvited.

I'd be surprised if they could get in the back considering the windows are jammed and I can't even open them :pac:

Sounds like a fire hazard waiting to happen

I think you've just jinxed yourself :(

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

My next door neighbour tried to rob my home thinking i was still on holiday in Spain but i had returned the night before and chased him down the road with a pick axe.

The 2nd time in a new house i came home from work to find every thing thrown all over the place and some body had searched the place but took nothing?I had to get the back door fixed on my insurance as the **** had destroyed it though.

These 2 incidents had a effect on me as i sleep with a hatchet beside my bed.You never think you are going to have your home violated till it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Years ago someone went up to our shed and tried to rob my dad's golf clubs... He fooked them over the wall into the neighbours garden, then seemingly gave up! Worst robber ever!

Don't think anyone has broken into the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A neighbour and myself caught a guy stealing tools from my van a few years ago, we laid in to the fcuker with hurleys, I can still remember the scream of pain and terror as we beat the crap out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Friend of mine, her cousin passed away sadly. The family live in a huge house in the country on a wide area of land surrounded by trees.
    A few relatives where over in the house one day.
    When her aunty went to her room she realized her bedroom was locked, she hadn't locked the room herself and the key was on the inside. she frequently locked her room from the inside. One of her uncles went around the back of the house climbed in threw the open window. turns out some scumbags where watching the house, knew that there was a key in the door, knew her aunty left the window open often, and knew that all the family where in the main sitting room where they wouldn't see anything.

The scum climbed in threw the window and robbed all most everything out of the aunty's bedroom in the space of 20 mins.
    The really sad and angry thing is that they where obviously hiding in the trees looking at this family grieving for a few days and just waiting for the right moment to rob the house
    They really don't care of the situation the family are in before they decide to rob them. SCUM

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Friend of mine, her cousin passed away sadly. The family live in a huge house in the country on a wide area of land surrounded by trees.
    A few relatives where over in the house one day.
    When her aunty went to her room she realized her bedroom was locked, she hadn't locked the room herself and the key was on the inside. she frequently locked her room from the inside. One of her uncles went around the back of the house climbed in threw the open window. turns out some scumbags where watching the house, knew that there was a key in the door, knew her aunty left the window open often, and knew that all the family where in the main sitting room where they wouldn't see anything.

The scum climbed in threw the window and robbed all most everything out of the aunty's bedroom in the space of 20 mins.
    The really sad and angry thing is that they obviously hiding in the trees looking at this family grieving for a few days and just waiting for the right moment to rob the house
    They really don't care of the situation the family are in before they decide to robbed them. SCUM

That seems to happen a lot, watch for families that will be distracted by their grief, out of the house and things like that. A friend of mothers came home from burying her husband to find the house ransacked. There is no getting away from it, that truly is the lowest of the low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Twice in the last few years, and I'd gladly pay to see the bastards swing for it.

• Advertisement

Similar happened when the four air corps servicemen were killed in the South East.

Their families houses robbed when people went to the funerals.
    Just a high profile example

If there's a family wedding or funeral you almost need to get a house-sitter these days

Easy to blame it all on gangs from your nearest city but someone local is passing on the info

If there's a family wedding or funeral you almost need to get a house-sitter these days

When my sister got married my folks did that had a security company sitting in a jeep outside the house for the night your only man really

Scum is indeed the right description. It's a crime that can have serious personal repercussions for the victims. I've talked before about an old lady in my area that wasted away and ended up killing herself after a break in. They stole stuff, but also willfully destroyed personal items of hers, smeared shít on the walls the lot. I'd not like to describe in a public forum what I would do to such worthless human filth if given the chance.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    My house was broken into about 1997. I was in India at the time and the thieves broke down the back door. They took a couple of TVs, a videotape recorder, a microwave oven, a collection of brass objects and a few other things. They also ripped a Victorian cast-iron fireplace right out of the wall and took it, in addition to taking the burner from my oil-fired central heating and leaving around 300 litres of kerosene flooding the shed.

Definitly travellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My mam and dad were out one night and the woman next door saw guys breaking into one of our back windows.

Full Paddy wagon came, with coppers going along the back walls. Two of them went to the front door & rang the doorbell. The lights were all off & the burglars answered the door (nice of them). The garda asked them if they were the owner & he replied "well of course, I have the keys don't I", while holding up some random bunch of keys.

The garda accepted this and left :eek:.

Now they only made off with some small amount of cash & a watch (we'd been burgaled a few months before & all my mother's jewellery was taken) but the garda had to come to our house & explain to our parents what had happened & apologise profusely. My dad just laughed at them from when they arrived at the house til when they left, he said it was worth the bit of cash & watch just for the story of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Not inside the house but our diesel and home heating oil was taken.

Got a german shepherd and a rottweiller from some friends that were emigrating. The dogs are old and just stroll around but it has put a stop to tinkers calling.

People seem afraid of those breeds.

• Advertisement

oxo_ wrote: »

Gardaí don't care, don't even think they do. You just need to go through the motions to report to them for insurance purposes.

Unless you are Alan Shatter and then you get the forensic squad, suspects picked up off the street and the detectives doing interviews

His house was burgled at the end of March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I haven't myself luckily.

But I remember around christmas 2008 or 2009 ... The first house on my road has a single mother with two kids living in it.

On Christmas eve, some c*** broke in at the side bathroom window of it and swiped all the children's xmas presents from under the tree. Playstation 3, toy cars etc.

Fairly heartless stuff alright. But what kind of animal would do that to an excited child at xmas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

We also had the one piss-green coloured Micra robbed from us 3 times & it was always found each time & returned to us. They must have realised it wasn't a great steal & abondoned it.

My mother got knocked to the ground at her front gate for her bag.

There was a family that used to come around looking for money weekly, the mother was a drunk. My mam would give food and clothes to the kids & she would give some change to the mother. One time, while my mam went off to get her purse, the woman made off with my sister's jacket with her weeks wages in it. I've actually seen her in town several times since then & she still has her kids begging even in their teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

ours was broken into 2 times when the house was being renovated and we were living elsewhere, definately travellers, copper piping, shower hose, fireplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

House wasnt burgled, but the car window was smashed and ransacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Nothing yet thank god, I keep something by the bed and we have a boxer who stays in at night, half thinking of leaving him in by day when there is no one in the house now, which is rarely. Must move the PS3, the Xbox and the telly though, they are visible from the kitchen window at the front of the house, I certainly won't be giving the bastards any excuse to break in, it has become all too prevalent these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Had problems with travellers trying to rob from my parents property, had the same group rob us three times in the space of a few months. The last time we caught them in the act, cue my father and myself running out like mad men after them. My father had a shotgun on him and in his demented anger told them their horses head will be blown clean off if they didn't leave in ten seconds.

Haven't had a problem with the bastards since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Vicxas wrote: »
    House wasnt burgled, but the car window was smashed and ransacked.

Likewise and my little peugoet was written off as replacing the windows was more expensve than the car.....and all they took was my wet swimming gear and a pair of prescription sunglasses..

Weirdos.

On the burglaries whilst being at your families funeral/wedding.

It happened here in Wexford yesterday. A family burying their Dad, they broke into their cars while the funeral was going on.

We got security for our wedding and a funeral last year to house sit as was suggested above.

I don't know weather it's just worse in Wexford, but it is comman around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

shuridunno wrote: »
    Likewise and my little peugoet was written off as replacing the windows was more expensve than the car.....and all they took was my wet swimming gear and a pair of prescription sunglasses..

Weirdos.

On the burglaries whilst being at your families funeral/wedding.

It happened here in Wexford yesterday. A family burying their Dad, they broke into their cars while the funeral was going on.

We got security for our wedding and a funeral last year to house sit as was suggested above.

I don't know weather it's just worse in Wexford, but it is comman around here. [/

Disagree with that, its everywhere but I dont think Wexford is the worst of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Luckily I was never robbed, but have heard of loads of cars being broken into recently while the families were visit graves or during the fine weather when the cars were parked near the beach

Never been burgled thank god, never had anything stolen so far. It must be pretty scary to know someone was in all of your stuff. I tend to leave my keys somewhere easy enough to find and that so if someone does break in and wants my car, they can have it, I'll just keep pretending to be asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Be careful of those charity plastic bags that get left on your doorsteps...you know the ones looking for you to put unwanted clothes etc into?
    That happened my parents before and all the houses that were away had obviously not brought in the plastic bags that were left on their doorstep so the thieves knew who was home and who wasn't! Gardaí said its a common scam and if you are away always make sure you have a neighbour who will take those bags in if you are not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

No, but I've had things stolen outside the house. Neighbours got broken into, she's quite old and is now afraid of the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Few years ago I was at the Mighty Boosh show in the Olympia, just as the curtain was rising and show about to start I got a call saying to come home as we'd been broken in to :(

I lost a laptop, iPod, Sony Camera. Another 2 laptops and some cash stolen from housemates rooms.

Could have been a lot worse - had an Xbox, PS3, big ass telly and plenty of other pricey things in my room at the time.... it seemed like they just took smaller things they could lift and get out of the house quickly with.

Garda came the next day, said they most likely just shimmied the door open using a plastic bottle or something similar (it had been left with just the latch lock closed, deadlock not locked). Needless to say we started locking the door properly after that, and got contents insurance :pac:

Didn't stay in that house for much longer either, it left us all feeling quite uncomfortable there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

No.

Also we have a gun here.

If i saw a gleam of steel from an intruder at night, blam blam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement