Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been burgled?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I know not everyone is a dog lover but I have to say they are best type of security for a house.

Anyone knocks my door - the dog will bark. Any one my dog doesn't know that enters the house he will bark, any unusual noises late at night and he barks.

Great for scaring off any unwanted visitors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I know not everyone is a dog lover but I have to say they are best type of security for a house.

Anyone knocks my door - the dog will bark. Any one my dog doesn't know that enters the house he will bark, any unusual noises late at night and he barks.

Great for scaring off any unwanted visitors

Indeed. People think they need a WE3 dog to protect the place, but really they just need a little yap machine. Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, a small yapping dog will strike terror into their hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

padraig.od wrote: »
    Indeed. People think they need a WE3 dog to protect the place, but really they just need a little yap machine. Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, a small yapping dog will strike terror into their hearts.

My Jack Russell fits this description :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I haven't myself luckily.

But I remember around christmas 2008 or 2009 ... The first house on my road has a single mother with two kids living in it.

On Christmas eve, some c*** broke in at the side bathroom window of it and swiped all the children's xmas presents from under the tree. Playstation 3, toy cars etc.

Fairly heartless stuff alright. But what kind of animal would do that to an excited child at xmas ?

I wouldn't be able to control myself if that happened, Things to do with children really make me tearful and really really mad. I'd beat the cúnt to death. Even reading that put my blood pressure up.:mad::mad::mad:

My dad's, mum's and sisters house were all broken into, No one charged, I had to sort the last burglary at my dad's out myself, I found out who done it and I thought them a lesson, They were travellers.

Two of the burglary's would have been easy to solve but for some reason the Guards didn't do anything, The Garda who came to my dad's after the travellers burgled it would be on fairly good terms with me but still nothing happened so I took matters into my own hands.

My sister had her house robbed when she was in hospital, Happened a few patients too, Small towns and big mouths lead to burgled houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    My Jack Russell fits this description :)

My friends call Benji the alarm on four legs ... he was great at the weekend bad date got handsy Benji went for a sensitive area see dogs are the best kind of alarm!

Never been burgled thank god, never had anything stolen so far. It must be pretty scary to know someone was in all of your stuff. I tend to leave my keys somewhere easy enough to find and that so if someone does break in and wants my car, they can have it, I'll just keep pretending to be asleep.

Just disconnect a cable by the battery (a Mechanic could show you), So at least if they get your keys they won't be able to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Living in a brand new estate(at the time),only in the house a wk so no alarm etc,my sister was in bed.She heard patio door open at approx midnight but ignored it cos she thought it was next doors,but she hopped up to use loo and went back to bed.Next am she copped footprints and bits of leaves on ground but nothing taken thank god.Guards think they heard her and were frightened off.She had a powerful car at the time and think thats what they were after as 3 other cars robbed that night.Gave her a serious dose of the sh*ts I can tell ya!!!

Also my da doing up his house,not living there at moment and place has been fleeced....wiring,water tank,ceilings pulled down,anything you can think of is gone. Ba**ards.....lucky he has big garden to bury the feckers if he ever catches them!

charlemont wrote: »
    Just disconnect a cable by the battery (a Mechanic could show you), So at least if they get your keys they won't be able to start it.

The quicker they're gone, the better tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

padraig.od wrote: »
    a small yapping dog will strike terror into their hearts.

Just thought of yuuuuuuuuup dave hesters dog....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

At night, I have a very large wolf who sleeps in my kitchen (only 1 of 2 entry points). The other entry point is 3 part locked. There are also some 'interesting' surprises around the house should anyone ever try break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Just thought of yuuuuuuuuup dave hesters dog....

Gotta love that guy, he's such an a-hole.. Yuuuuuuuuuuup

Yep. A good few years ago just after Christmas. All pressies gone. House was vandalised and the dog beaten behind the couch. I think i was about 8 or 9. Heartbroken i was.

Jesus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

My grandmother was broken into 2 years ago while she was in the house. They took the seals off a bathroom en-suite window and the end of the house and left the glass down on the grass, 2 people ran through the house and ripped the handbag out of her hands and ran out the front door.

She was 75 and I can't imagine how traumatising that must be when you think your safe in your own home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

antodeco wrote: »
    At night, I have a very large wolf who sleeps in my kitchen (only 1 of 2 entry points). The other entry point is 3 part locked. There are also some 'interesting' surprises around the house should anyone ever try break in.

Same good luck to anybody getting past my dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Terrible record of break-ins in these posts committed by those of a nomadic culture.

Last March I had the forward scouting party around one Sunday: a man with a dog on a lead; and a 10-year old with a football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

It's never happened thank God but the idea of someone coming into my house is my worst fear in the world! So much so that if none of my housemates are home for the night, I drive the 20 miles out to my parents for the night. I don't have a dog but I live with 3 well built guys, it helps me sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

How good is your dog though as a watch dog?
    My neighbour who has a huge german shepard will greet anyone who arrives while a small jack russell will eat the legs off ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Yep. A good few years ago just after Christmas. All pressies gone. House was vandalised and the dog beaten behind the couch. I think i was about 8 or 9. Heartbroken i was.

**** :(

deandean wrote: »
    Terrible record of break-ins in these posts committed by those of a nomadic culture.

Last March I had the forward scouting party around one Sunday: a man with a dog on a lead; and a 10-year old with a football.

In my dad's case it was a young girl about 6/7 asking me to sponsor a school line ! It was summer time !, She was on her own too at the door and I told her I had no money so she asked for a biscuit which I went and got, She obviously sussed out the lock then, I spotted a woman further down the road too so I made enquiries amongst the nomadic community and I soon discovered who's wife and daughter they were.

They wouldn't be the poorest of traveller's, far from it, But lacking in brain cell's, They underestimated me, Thought we were a soft target so when I struck back the thick's never copped it was me, F em.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My neighbour who has a huge german shepard will greet anyone who arrives while a small jack russell will eat the legs off ya :D

Useless! She barks at footballs and runs away from cats. But she's big and has a very mean looking stance! So if the burglars break in to my house, dressed as a football, they're screwed

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5 gold_bull

yes , ironically by someone who sells electric gates for a living , i cant prove it but i know he tipped someone off , had a car trailer stolen in the middle of the night , was only when i went looking about security that i got robbed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

In my old house we had cctv out the back. One night it caught three lads trying to break in through our back pation. It also caught my doberman stepping out of the garage. In movie like fashion, one of the culprits turned around and saw it. He tapped the shoulder of one of the others. They looked at each other and ran, leaving their companion to come to his own realisation as the dog ran towards him. He then took off but lost part of his jacket to the dog. One of my greatest regrets is not being able to download that footage. It was very satisfying to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Be careful of those charity plastic bags that get left on your doorsteps...you know the ones looking for you to put unwanted clothes etc into?
    That happened my parents before and all the houses that were away had obviously not brought in the plastic bags that were left on their doorstep so the thieves knew who was home and who wasn't! Gardaí said its a common scam and if you are away always make sure you have a neighbour who will take those bags in if you are not there.

The blame for this is squarely on the governments shoulders. They refuse to pass the Charity Act into law so that Gardaí can come down on these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

frag420 wrote: »
    Couple of months ago. They got away with a laptop and rent money. Cops said it was a traveller gang. They got a few places that day.

They will rue the day they burgle my place again if Im in there..................I will confuse them with the 4x tables and some simple second class spelling questions before taking a baseball bat to that sponge they call a head.

SCUM!!
    What do you expect me to do about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

If you find someone robbing your house can you then try stop them with a hurley/golf club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

If I am with the person he is as friendly as can be but if im not there he would be very loud, he wouldn't bite unless he was hit by the intruder just be very loud as I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

If you find someone robbing your house can you then try stop them with a hurley/golf club

You can use reasonable force ... make of that what you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

toexpress wrote: »
    You can use reasonable force ... make of that what you will

Get a shotgun and write reasonable force on it, defend yourself in court with 'I used reasonable force your honour':pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pretty good, though only barks as a last resort. Very friendly even submissive when out on walks on the lead, but at home very single minded and aggressive about what he sees as his territory. At only 6 months old he tore the door from his dog crate to get at a little scrote who was looking over the garden wall

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Wibbs wrote: »
    Pretty good, though only barks as a last resort. Very friendly even submissive when out on walks on the lead, but at home very single minded and aggressive about what he sees as his territory. At only 6 months old he tore the door from his dog crate to get at a little scrote who was looking over the garden wall

Did you say what breed of dog you owned?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shryke wrote: »
    Did you say what breed of dog you owned?
    Nope. German shepherd cross, but large hairy toothy bastard kinda covers it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

A house I used to live in was burgled once, they took my friends laptop.
    Left everything else behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

id say with the recession its only making things worse

people have some serious nerve though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My college apartment got burgled. It was a really warm day so we had the windows were open, I went into my neighbours apartment for a chat and when I came back 15 minutes later they were already gone.

Luckily the bedrooms were locked, because they contained the laptops, iPods, phones and jewellery, etc. They must have been annoyed at the lack of stealing prospects because all they did was empty the fridge of the little food we had and take the telly and chorus box. They forgot the remotes, though.

We think they came in through the open window. Ah well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Got broken into about a month and a bit ago. They took my PS3, laptop, PSP, watch and camera. Police reckoned it was addicts so hopefully they'll end up with AIDS before too long.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

My Aunt was robbed last weekend while she was on holiday, she had a silent alarm so the Guards were there within 20 mins to find 4 travellers filling there 2011 Ford Transit with stuff. Thankfully she got all her stuff returned.

Fucking dirty knackers, should be shot the lot of them!

Mod: Poster banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gardaí said its a common scam and if you are away always make sure you have a neighbour who will take those bags in if you are not there.
    Another one is giving everyone a "promotional" copy of the Sun (which was probably stolen from the front of a newsagents), and seeing which letterboxes that they'd still be in.

=-=

Shed got robbed once, as were a few other sheds nearby (during the same week). Think it was the same group. Luckily the house wasn't, touch wood.
    I do. Unless the dog is out and about in which case the back door is unlocked for him(He can open and close it with his paws).
    Awww :D
    Nope. German shepherd cross, but large hairy toothy bastard kinda covers it.
    Sounds super cute <3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Rebuilt the old family homeplace and been broken into twice. Last time they took the beds, cooker, fridge, dining table, washing ,machine, dishwasher etc. Gardai who were useless, said it was someone fitting out a house. Happened in Jan and never got a call from the Gardai since. Have gone from being a big Gardai supporter to thinking they are wasters. They tipped over a bookcase looking for money and the guard asked me why I thought they did that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

I knew a lad once who broke into his neighbours house and stole not only furniture but his cutains as well.
    Then he hung the curtains up on his own windows for his Victim to see. He was arrested shortly afterwards.

I had, a long time ago two junkies trying to break down my back door, with two Rottweilers waiting on the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Actually have tears in my eyes reading this thread. There are some awful, awful stories in here.

I know dogs are great protectors but I would be terrified of having a dog and having it really badly beaten by some scumbags who broke into the house (as one poster described). I'd never forgive myself.

Some people really haven't a shred of conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

deandean wrote: »

We had the "scouting" party here a week and a half ago.
    Tbh he was not even discreet about it.
    I hate to jump on the bandwagon but it was the obligatory white Transit van with a stocky gent wearing the standard wifebeater.

He drove past 3-4 minimum times a day at a CRAWL clearly scopeing out the houses. We are fairly rural, probalbly 10 houses on the entire length of road(bohereen really)but my house is in a cluster of 3 so asked neighhbour had he seen this guy?

"Seen him" he said
    "Thought the fukcer was looking to move in he was here so often!!"

Mr White transit did this for an entire week, driving past, getting to the neighbours house, turning around and doing the same thing again :eek:

Got cheesed off rang the gardai to report "suspicious activity" and the basically told me to bugger off :(

Expecting to be broken into any day now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

My Aunt was robbed last weekend while she was on holiday, she had a silent alarm so the Guards were there within 20 mins to find 4 travellers filling there 2011 Ford Transit with stuff. Thankfully she got all her stuff returned.

Fucking dirty knackers, should be shot the lot of them!

some neck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I was robbed about 7 years ago when I lived in Rathmines. Had a load of CD's, DVD's & Games taken and the apartment was turned over.

Mate told me to check out the local market as the CD's etc would be easy to shift there and low an behold I found a guy selling my stuff (was identifiable by the fact that some of the DVD's were water damaged the year before and his had the exact same damage).

I didn't call the guards this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Love the responses concerning the gardai. Such exaggerations.
    What are the guards supposed to do. Break down in tears and weep. Maybe write the victim a peom of sympathy.
    There dealing with burglaries every day.
    If they can't solve it and there's no evidence what can they do. dust the place in the hope of finding the culprits fingerprints among the thousands of sets that are already in the house. Look for DNA. Or hair samples using 3d imaging like on CSI.
    of course they care but they can only do a limited amount. The attitude of some people. You would think it was the gardai who robbed the house. Detective work only goes so far and its the same in every police force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

Been burgled twice.
    The first time was when I was living in Leeds,I moved into a flat in a rough-ish part of town after my mam died.Had been in there a month or so,when it happened.Went out for a few pints,and came home to find the bedroom window and the living room french doors smashed in.
    They took the tv,video player(it was a while back !!),all my cd's,a couple of guitars,and other stuff.They took things my mam bought me,and could never be replaced,but thing that really got to me was,I had a jar with my loose change in it,they took the money and smashed the jar into the carpet in the front room.

Got stuff replaced,but wasn't the same.

Moved to Dublin and was living in Rathmines,in one of the houses that had ben chopped up to get as many "flats" in them as poss,and again,out one night,came home to flat door open,again,all my cd's/dvd's/playstation/games gone.....

Pretty pissed off,but what can you do?? Called the guards,not much they could do...............moved out very soon after that..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

cursai wrote: »
    Love the responses concerning the gardai. Such exaggerations.
    What are the guards supposed to do. Break down in tears and weep. Maybe write the victim a peom of sympathy.
    There dealing with burglaries every day.
    If they can't solve it and there's no evidence what can they do. dust the place in the hope of finding the culprits fingerprints among the thousands of sets that are already in the house. Look for DNA. Or hair samples using 3d imaging like on CSI.
    of course they care but they can only do a limited amount. The attitude of some people. You would think it was the gardai who robbed the house. Detective work only goes so far and its the same in every police force.

Nobody is asking for the full CSI treatment

My place was broken into last March and to be fair the squad car was up in minutes and checked the place out

The local petrol station had rung in earlier about the little scroate hanging around they went off to drive around the area

Promised a phone call that week, never got it

Found a cigarette lighter next morning and asked the station what should I do.

The guy on the desk told me to wait for my two gardaí to contact me.
    Called again and was told to wait
    I offered to bag it and bring it to the station was told to wait.
    Asked for the seargeant and was told the two guys were off and not back on shift for 4 days and to wait for them and they will contact me.

It's not my job is the impression I'm getting back, two people are assigned and nobody else will go near me.

Stil waiting..........ten weeks later.
    A lighter with prints for the scroate and no interest.

Alan Shatters house was robbed the same weekend, technical bureau down in their white suits, suspects pulled off the streets and detectives used for interviews.

I will accept that house needs priority, might be important State files in there and Justice and Defense are targets for terrorists

All I wanted was a phonecall :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

In fairness if you can't even report that you think someone is scoping out your house then what use are the guards. You would think they'd send someone up for a driveby or take the licence number of the assumed burglar.

This thread is a warning to anyone who doesn't have content's insurance. Don't live to regret it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The office I work in was burgled about 18 months ago during the big snowfall we had that Winter. The culprits had climbed up on neighbouring roof and walked across a crane gantry to get to the office roof. They then broke through a perspex/plastic skylight, tied a rope around a beam and shimmied down about 15 feet. They got a laptop and a printer and some equipment that is very specific to our industry (air speed, pressure monitors etc.). They then escaped back the way they had come all through about 6 inches of snow. If they had taken one false step on the roof they could easily have slipped off or fallen through about 30 foot to the ground.

I still have a bit of the rope they used here. They musn't have been able to untie it as about 2 foot of it was still tied to the beam but the rest had been cut. Whoever they were they were determined and fit boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

When I was younger my mother and I were staying over in her sisters house (can't remember why). Someone broke in late at night and I remember waking up and seeing them standing in the doorway of the room I was sleeping in, then slowly closing the door and legging it. Twas quite creepy.

Thankfully my parents house or anywhere I've lived have never been broken into but some neighbourhood scummers have stolen dog toys from our garden. At one stage I had left 4-5 tennis balls (3 of which were squeaky toys) that my dog liked to play with out in the garden and just a day later they had all been taken, even the squeaky ones!! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement