Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been burgled?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    some neighbourhood scummers have stolen dog toys from our garden. At one stage I had left 4-5 tennis balls (3 of which were squeaky toys) that my dog liked to play with out in the garden and just a day later they had all been taken, even the squeaky ones!! :mad:

Was probably dogs who took these :)

They love to investigate and bring things home

Our dog stole a garden hose from the neighbours and dragged it down the road and left it on our lawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

Someone broke into my old house, and all they stole was a couple of large bars of Dairy Milk from the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Someone broke into my old house, and all they stole was a couple of large bars of Dairy Milk from the fridge.

If that was me I'd hunt the f**kers down.. Never my chocolate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Was probably dogs who took these :)

They love to investigate and bring things home

Our dog stole a garden hose from the neighbours and dragged it down the road and left it on our lawn

Naww I can just imagine a little army of dogs coming in to raid my garden of toys :P.

But seriously we had the gate locked and it was still locked the next day and I've never seen a dog jump over it. It wouldn't be the first time stuff has been taken from our garden then again we don't live in the best of places :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

We use to get the Travellers calling up to the Farm asking for scrap. I knew dam well they was casing the place and had their eye's on two old Stainless Steel milk bulk tanks. I always let the dogs out and the dogs circled their pick up, whilst I spoke to them. I was always nice about it and told them we always weighed the scrap in ourselves. All the time they was frightened on the dogs.
    Dogs to Travellers are like Crosses to Vampires.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Not to go off topic, but anyone know where you can buy a baseball bat? A decent big ass wooden one.

Our shed was broken into last November and my prized Specialized bike was taken. Since then, there's been 5 burgularies on the estate. On the back of what happened in November, we got ourselves a little king charles. Reading some of the stories here, we'd hate to see anything happen to him. Then again, he's a lazy bugger who prefers sleeping on the bed in the spare room.

Conor.

conjon wrote: »
    Not to go off topic, but anyone know where you can buy a baseball bat? A decent big ass wooden one.

Argos

Cost you a tenner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Go down to the local Charity shop, they will have a fine selection of Urban Combat weapons (baseball bats, Hurley's walking sticks etc) If you catch them just kick and hit the daylights out of them because, lets face it, its the only Justice your going to get.

I would reccomend Razor wire ontop of fences and anti climb paint. After all they would not want to get that stuff on their robbing uniforms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Incompetence of the Gardaí never fails to amaze me. When I was burgled, the Thames Valley Police could not have been more professional. Had an officer out within half an hour, he took statements and CSI gave the place a look over. They found nothing but it felt nice to know my taxes were being used properly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The latest thing is apparently to not only rob the place, maybe take a shít on the carpet, but get this; they go upstairs and turn on the taps in the bathroom, bung up the overflow so the place floods and causes even more damage. Pure badness from the scum. If I ever caught one of these pieces of human waste Id be asking some of my local Muslim chaps on the fine points of hand removal with an axe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wibbs wrote: »
    The latest thing is apparently to not only rob the place, maybe take a shít on the carpet, but get this; they go upstairs and turn on the taps in the bathroom, bung up the overflow so the place floods and causes even more damage. Pure badness from the scum. If I ever caught one of these pieces of human waste Id be asking some of my local Muslim chaps on the fine points of hand removal with an axe.

About 20 years ago, when 4 women were living next door, some beauty (or beauties) robbed the place. Before leaving they took out all the clothes in the bedrooms, put them in a pile, and pissed all over them.

My place has been done 3 times over the years, but fortunately has been spared the attentions of that kind of shite bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Nodin wrote: »
    About 20 years ago, when 4 women were living next door, some beauty (or beauties) robbed the place. Before leaving they took out all the clothes in the bedrooms, put them in a pile, and pissed all over them.

My place has been done 3 times over the years, but fortunately has been spared the attentions of that kind of shite bag.

ew thats so gross

cant get over the amount of people who said they were robbed while at weddings, funerals etc- ive a family member staying here and leaving here the night before her wedding and now im after copping it will make it v obvious no one will be home all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Incompetence of the Gardaí never fails to amaze me. When I was burgled, the Thames Valley Police could not have been more professional. Had an officer out within half an hour, he took statements and CSI gave the place a look over. They found nothing but it felt nice to know my taxes were being used properly.

We were burgled a few months back.

The guards were called at 7.30 am and were there in 15 mins.
    Scum had been in the house in the middle of the night and had made off with the car, laptop and wife's purse.
    The guards couldn't have been nicer to my wife who was very distressed and promised my kids that they'd catch the robbers (made the kids feel better).

Crime scene lads arrived shortly after and again were very professional and polite.

Underfunded yes...incompetent, not in my case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's good you got that kind of response but a lot of the stories here paint a very different picture.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

It's good you got that kind of response but a lot of the stories here paint a very different picture.

That's because they're lies. There's a system in place that gardai have to follow in a burglary. Statements have to taken. And scenes of crime are always called unless rain or other elements have made evidence unusable.
    If these things aren't done paperwork follows asking for responses as to the investigation and the steps taken.
    some of these stories are comical and rubbish. And mostly exaggerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Never burgled but my Ma's car was robbed when we were staying in my grannys gaff in Darndale. Little Mazda 121 and the lock on one of the doors was fúcked so it couldnt have been hard to get into and the thing weighed fúck all, i could push it down the road when i was 7, so they could have easily pushed it round the corner before starting it. We found the thing around the corner burnt out in the middle of the green. Luckily my uncle who was about 20 at the time was familiar with the scum in that area (being scum himself) and he was asking around about any cars being robbed in darndale, 3 lads came over to him bragging about robbing the car and couldnt have bragged to a worse person, he dropped one of them with a dig, grabbed the other one and headbutted him twice until he dropped and the 3rd legged it but was caught the next day by a cousin of mine. Safe to say my family receives very little trouble from anybody when you have nutcases like that related to you, and nobody in my area would be thick enough to break into my gaff, they've seen myself and my da, they know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

cursai wrote: »
    That's because they're lies. There's a system in place that gardai have to follow in a burglary. Statements have to taken. And scenes of crime are always called unless rain or other elements have made evidence unusable.
    If these things aren't done paperwork follows asking for responses as to the investigation and the steps taken.

Wrong.

I stand over my post and experience when I got burgled and the poor followup from the gardaí
    Others will do the same

We all have usernames here, why would anyone lie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

My mothers house was burgled mid 90's in a "rough" area of Dublin. They threw a breezeblock through the back window(of course no one heard anything)so hard it took chunks out of the internal wall.
    All they took was the video(tbh feck all else to steal, hadn't got a lot)but good jebus the place was a wreck.

Gardai came and actually said "Well, it's the area you live in, isn't it?":eek::eek:

True story, cursai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I stand over my post and experience when I got burgled and the poor followup from the gardaí
    Others will do the same

An old widow neighbour was broken into a few months back - bout 9pm or so. I was phoned cos she is a friend of the family so went to her house.

Was third person on the scene after the theft. I called the gardai but seeing as we are so far away from anywhere, it took the guards about 2 hours to get here. Anyway, they eventually arrived and took statements from everyone there and advised us what to do about the broken window - not leaving fingerprints and so on. The next morning the scene of crime people were there, checking footprints outside, fingerprints inside and so on. Have to say that they were great - really respectful and polite and caring towards the woman.

Nobody was ever done for it but a local guard said that they had a damn good idea of who did it (exact same person we all thought) but this animal couldn't be charged cos there wasn't enough evidence and the stolen stuff was never found.

Couldn't praise the gardai high enough for their help - apart from the wait for them to arrive ;)

As for myself, I lived in Derry a few years back. Was asleep one night and was woken by a noise at the front door. I got up and grabbed a handful of small change I kept by my room door. Went out to the hall and met this young fella coming in the front door....started screaming mad abuse at him and threw the handful of coins at his face - never seen anyone turn and run away as fast heehee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

A few years ago I was sitting in our sitting room with my elderly father. Suddenly, a smash. We ran out into the hall and found three scumbags just standing in our hallway, holding broken glass bottles and wooden bats.

They swarmed around us and I thought I was dead, next thing a forth shadow came rushing for me, and I waited for the smash that would either knock me down or knock me out.

I closed my eyes and heard a scream, when I opened my eyes the leader of the scumbags was against the wall in pieces. Turned out the forth shadow was our neighbour, a small but tough as **** Slovakian man. I don't know what he hit the scumbag with, but he left him in pieces.

With their fearless leader practically crying, the other scumbags took off running.

Called the guards and two Female guards came and bollocked us to hell for 15 minutes, called us criminals, we had no right to be brawling in the street, blah, blah, blah, said that we should have locked ourselves in a room.

They took our names and ages to file a criminal report on us!

Moral of the story, if some scumbags try to kill you with a broken bottle, let them! as they are in the right in the eyes of the law. :mad:

Others will do the same

Grand they're all true so. Never saw it happen myself and don't see how it could but sure these posters must have gotten a rogue Garda. A hard nut with no consideration for procedures and answerable only to himself.
    Or a really lazy one who's not reporting the crime in his area and is answerable only to himself.
    Heck it could be the same guy and depending on his mood hell be either character and answerable only to himself.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    My mothers house was burgled mid 90's in a "rough" area of Dublin. They threw a breezeblock through the back window(of course no one heard anything)so hard it took chunks out of the internal wall.
    All they took was the video(tbh feck all else to steal, hadn't got a lot)but good jebus the place was a wreck.

Gardai came and actually said "Well, it's the area you live in, isn't it?":eek::eek:

True story, cursai
    So she/he came to the house. Looked at you. Said that and walked out. Job done. There must be a few words missing.

charlemont wrote: »
    Wrong.

Okay Mr Schwarzenegger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

4am friday night i was woken by the loud screech of my house alarm going off.

When i jumped out of bed i saw two men jump over my back wall and run off, now my back walls about 7 foot to they must have been pretty tall. Its was only gettin bright so couldnt see any faces.

Theres been a spate of robberies in the estate latley and since friday iv been pure paranoid jumping at the slightist noise. Iv always had a serious fear of someone breakin into my house :-(

have you ever been burgled?

your windows can be forced open silently and in seconds. fortunately you had an alarm. if the burglaries persist i would consider getting a dog. maybe lock all the door downstairs.

• Advertisement

2009 on an April monday morning in west Limerick.
    The bsatards took a sledge hammer to the door of the house, wrecking the wall and door. The door held so they took the sledge to the window. All the while, my pet of a dog was looking at them :rolleyes:

They then took the TV, dvd player, 2 laptops, sat nav, mothers jewelry, all the perfume in the house. About €2000 in damage and about €3000 of stuff taken.

Worst thing is, I know who did it, the gards know who did it, not a thing can be done about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

They should be put down.:mad:

Moral of the story, if some scumbags try to kill you with a broken bottle, let them! as they are in the right in the eyes of the law. :mad:

Do be aware that you can't smoke either, it's his workplace.

So everyone here is a liar? I'm aware of the system in place but it would seem that many (not all) Gardaí have little or no interest in putting the system to use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Thought it said 'have you ever been buggered'...no & no to the original question ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Others will do the same

True enough. In my experience and that of my friends and family the service is pretty variable. You most certainly get some very good service from the Gardai, but equally you can be at the receiving end of some truly shíte service. Between those extremes are the most common IMHO of meh sure what can you do/halfhearted attention. TBH I can well understand their position. Too often they build a case against scum and the same scum get off with a slapped wrist, if that. Some scum seem untouchable, never mind how underfunded and underequipped the Guards can be.

A mate's road was targeted one night, where some scum showed up in a van and proceeded to break into or attempt to most of the cars on the road. The Guards were called to this brazen and open and threatening(they went for a couple of the neighbours when challenged) situation and the Guards finally showed up the next morning. This was in Dublin BTW a ten minute drive from the local station, not some road in the middle of nowhere.

A few years back I awoke to my car alarm and the sight of scum stealing the car and driving up the road. I rang my local station to be told "what do you expect us to do about it?". Luckily I know a couple of Guards and they were able to find out where the car had been left to be stripped or taken out for another night of fun. They also told me my car had been spotted parked with scum on board, yet the Guards who spotted this didn't challenge them. Anyway the place my car was left was a well known spot for the scum. Pretty much every night a car would end up there, yet no cops ever staked the place out to catch them. When I got there and was in the process of organising a tow, two guards showed up. I swear these two would have been perfect extras for a Savage Eye sketch. Morons is about my most charitable description. They started giving me hassle for trying to get my car back. In the end I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I told them both to "**** off you useless pair of disgraces to the uniform". On the other hand an hour later another two showed up and were complete chalk and cheese to the first pair. Incredibly helpful.

In short Gardai can be a right mixed bag so it depends on who you get on the day.

On the burglary front I can well see the day in Ireland where many houses get bars on the windows like you see in other European countries(esp in the south). Irish designed housing is very vulnerable by comparison. Double glazing is farcically easy to remove. IMHO we've been lucky so far that our scum are mostly amateur hour types.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Got burgled one time,and the fcukers $hit into a stew i had left on the cooker...

I had to throw half of it out!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I used to rob the cars parked outside of mass when i was younger, used to get a load of stuff including tapes, cds, money, radios, jackets etc.

I dunno how we got away with it but we never got caught. I remember it was announced one night in the mass news letter.. i had to leave because i was laughing so much.

Yes i was a bold fúcker but that was then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Love the responses concerning the gardai. Such exaggerations.
    What are the guards supposed to do. Break down in tears and weep. Maybe write the victim a peom of sympathy.
    There dealing with burglaries every day.
    If they can't solve it and there's no evidence what can they do. dust the place in the hope of finding the culprits fingerprints among the thousands of sets that are already in the house. Look for DNA. Or hair samples using 3d imaging like on CSI.
    of course they care but they can only do a limited amount. The attitude of some people. You would think it was the gardai who robbed the house. Detective work only goes so far and its the same in every police force.

funny you should mention that...

i've seen CCTV footage of two members of the gardai, in uniform, and one civilian stealing a very expensive item and driving away with it in a squad car. The owner of this item, a friend, had to go to court to prove it was hers.
    dont want to go into much further detail as its still ongoing i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

never burgled thankfully, but a few years ago a few fellas were robbing houses in the area and were cutting through back gardens to escape.

A couple of gardai came to our house to check the back garden (for clues? I dunno, I was pretty young).

Our dog, Tiny, was in the garden as usual and went to sniff the Gards. He was the sweetest little dog ever and his tail was wagging. One of them pulled out his baton and went to hit him! my Mam let a shout and he stopped, but if we hadn't been watching he would have hit my dog ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stebe

Watching the late late toy show with my young brother and sister about 2 or 3 years ago. It was about 11 o clock when suddenly theres a massive bang on the front door. I went to investigate and the door was shut and no sign of anybody outside.

Bravely decide to open the door a few moments later and to my horror see a massive footprint on the door. Few minutes later police come rushing down as it turned out the scummer who kicked my door had gotten into a neighbours house about four doors down and was chased out.

Scary thing is I had gone to the bathroom around 10 30 and for some reason decided to put on the chub lock on the front door. This was the only thing that stopped the door from being kicked in. God knows what could have happened if the person had of gotten in...

A few days later I received a letter off the scummer apologising which of course made everything ok......... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Got burgled one time,and the fcukers $hit into a stew i had left on the cooker...

Euwww, what is it with faeces and burglars?

Do they like dirty protesting a la Bobby Sands in the middle of robbing someones home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Fuinseog wrote: »
    your windows can be forced open silently and in seconds. fortunately you had an alarm. if the burglaries persist i would consider getting a dog. maybe lock all the door downstairs.

I cant get a dog im allergic:( yes we only bought the alarm last year after our neighbour was robbed. we always lock every door and window before bed and they all have sensors on them- so even if someone tries to kick the door it will set off the alarm

What annoys me is i think i know who tried to break in and i cant prove it:(

Definitly travellers

thats racist

• Advertisement

I cant get a dog im allergic:( yes we only bought the alarm last year after our neighbour was robbed. we always lock every door and window before bed and they all have sensors on them- so even if someone tries to kick the door it will set off the alarm

What annoys me is i think i know who tried to break in and i cant prove it:(

you cannot put up barbed wire on your garden wall as they might hurt themselves breaking in and sue you.

we have a house alarm and it will go of for about ten mins and then nothing. the neighbours are good. we get a text message if any strange vehicle is outside the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

A house I lived in in college was cleared out when we were all gone home for the weekend. They even went through our dirty washing :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

House never broken into thankfully.
    But was heading to bed onenight a few years ago and my two dogs started going ape**** in the back yard...looked out the bedroom window to see some little ****bag climbing onto my shed roof....
    I went out the front door and waited for him to come down the laneway to the front.....
    Well he didnt know i was there and whenhe came out i grabbed him and smacked him to the ground...told him if he ever came through my property again id break his legs.
    Havnt seen him since...local cop told me hes up in mountjoy..that was 2 or 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Others will do the same

In Limerick the Gardaí often won't even respond to 999 calls - there's a thread here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623691

Extra to the above I was in Limerick City one Saturday recently and saw two Scumbags kick in a front door on a street 30 seconds walk from Henry St Garda station (main one) rang 999 and reported it and as I had kids in the car just stayed put at a safe distance.

No show as expected - Imagine that was your Grandmother, Mam, Sister or whatever in there - Wouldn't like that on my conscience - and even more so if I was spending a Gardas hefty wages every month :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

When I was about 15 living with the folks I woke up hearing something downstairs,picked up a dumbbell and sprinted down the stairs, the ****er jumped through a window smashing it. Must of stayed up for about a month with no sleep waiting for him to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

pebbles21 wrote: »

You mean you ate the other half? :confused:

Advertisement